SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very concerned that we aussies will have nothing left after this collapse of holden.

Education is very hard hit as well.

Mining is just, just unspeakable to now.

Finance, the dollar, also we are top 5 for currency/financial hubs

we need ideas people help the matey-nation out, i smell disaster

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
We can base the whole economy on coffee shops. People who lose their jobs in mining, manufacturing etc. can simply retrain as baristas and look forward to a lucrative and rewarding future :)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
We can base the whole economy on coffee shops. People who lose their jobs in mining, manufacturing etc. can simply retrain as baristas and look forward to a lucrative and rewarding future :)
I like a good coffee. The Australian economy is dominated by the service sector.
The landscape continues to change with technology and the race to the bottom globalisation competition.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Australians are great innovators, overseas, because Australia the country is incredibly terrible at fostering talented people. As much as it’s unpopular in this forum our high taxes are killing this country. It hurts our inability to attract capital outside of resources and property one of which the left wants to tear down and the other which only stays afloat if we keep importing more people which puts pressure on infrastructure which needs high amount of capital.

If it wasn’t such a beautiful place to live there’d be no one here. It’s so sad our potential is being wasted.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I concur, I’ve been involved in a bunch of startups in varying roles. A consistent challenge in the Australian market was always funding.

Key lesson learned is it’s easier to get funding if your company is established in the US so now I set them up in Delaware, which has one of the most business/startup friendly laws.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Australians are great innovators, overseas, because Australia the country is incredibly terrible at fostering talented people. As much as it’s unpopular in this forum our high taxes are killing this country. It hurts our inability to attract capital outside of resources and property one of which the left wants to tear down and the other which only stays afloat if we keep importing more people which puts pressure on infrastructure which needs high amount of capital.

If it wasn’t such a beautiful place to live there’d be no one here. It’s so sad our potential is being wasted.
i prefer flat tax, for the odd reason

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
I like a good coffee. The Australian economy is dominated by the service sector.
The landscape continues to change with technology and the race to the bottom globalisation competition.
When I was young we made everything...milk came in glass, no plastic existed...there were always a few imported exceptions but Australians were happy to buy a local product that did the job. Food variety was meat and 3 veg, Fish and Chips, Chinese was bring your own saucepan for a pile of cabbage called Chow Minn,,,Imagine all that with a population of 10 or 12 million. Coffee is better today though...

Reactions: RoarRa

·
WARREN
8,135 Posts
Anything requiring a lot of energy, eg the remains of the manufacturing sector.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Anything requiring a lot of energy, eg the remains of the manufacturing sector.
aluminium smelters and oil refineries........all are heamoraging $ due to high energy prices and as a result are very uncompetitive on a world scale.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I concur, I’ve been involved in a bunch of startups in varying roles. A consistent challenge in the Australian market was always funding.

Key lesson learned is it’s easier to get funding if your company is established in the US so now I set them up in Delaware, which has one of the most business/startup friendly laws.
I had a promising start up but couldn’t get funding locally so sold it and started working for the man again. I didn’t want to move to get the capital I needed but so many I know did. Can’t help but think how much more I could add to the Australian economy with globally scalable business.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
export sand in bulk? not quick sand

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
aluminium smelters and oil refineries........all are heamoraging $ due to high energy prices and as a result are very uncompetitive on a world scale.
Yes we are observers looking on as Australia is slowly shutting down.
Electricity - get it while we can (refer to SA as example)
Heavy Industry, going, going, gone
Fishing Industry, disappearing with green tape
Mining, bogged down in copious red and green tape
Timber Industry... gone
Agricultural Industry... murdering its own participants and impeded by activism
Tourism.. being destroyed by constant activist negativity
EPA = code for freezing anything that is moving
Politicians.....IN A BUBBLE

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^ mostly agree

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Yes we are observers looking on as Australia is slowly shutting down.
Electricity - get it while we can (refer to SA as example)
Heavy Industry, going, going, gone
Fishing Industry, disappearing with green tape
Mining, bogged down in copious red and green tape
Timber Industry... gone
Agricultural Industry... murdering its own participants and impeded by activism
Tourism.. being destroyed by constant activist negativity
EPA = code for freezing anything that is moving
Politicians.....IN A BUBBLE
Yes some good points

Electricity - fragmented, transforming, expensive and in need of proper planning

Heavy Industry, going and going in a race to the bottom that is caused by poorly governed Global Corporate Captialism

Fishing Industry, reducing because of less fish

Mining - Highly speculative but rewarding and booming in key minerals but little down stream processing

Timber Industry - All native forests nearly gone but plantations are here to stay

Agricultural Industry - highly efficient but feeling the effects of climate change

Tourism - Important and doing well but will feel the affect of Corona virus and the bush fires

EPA- absolutely required to review environmental impacts

Politicians.....too many serving vested interest over overall public interest.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts