SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Was wondering what people's thoughts were on which will be the next UK city to construct a light rail/tram/metro system?

So far we have London (Underground, Tramlink), Birmingham (Midland Metro), Manchester (Metrolink), Newcastle (Tyne & Wear Metro), Sheffield (Supertram), Nottingham (Express Transit), Glasgow (Subway), Blackpool and Edinburgh.

As my home city is Bristol I would be biased and hope that we are next, although it would be interesting to hear everyone else's thoughts?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Leeds I hope. There's a chance for a fresh start now the trolleybus has fallen through and tram-trains seem to be the most commonly mentioned option.

Bristol had a scheme in planning but along with Leeds, Portsmouth and Liverpool had it killed by Alastair Darling. Bristol I believe is now advancing with some kind of horrendously over-priced BRT scheme.

Leeds is really the only place I see a new tram system happening, unless Preston Trampower ever comes to anything or Glasgow Airport implements its tram ideas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tram train is being piloted between Sheffield and Rotherham. Until this happens and is seen to be a viable success........nothing will happen.

·
SILENCE! I keeel U!
830 Posts
Leeds I hope. There's a chance for a fresh start now the trolleybus has fallen through and tram-trains seem to be the most commonly mentioned option.

Bristol had a scheme in planning but along with Leeds, Portsmouth and Liverpool had it killed by Alastair Darling. Bristol I believe is now advancing with some kind of horrendously over-priced BRT scheme.

Leeds is really the only place I see a new tram system happening, unless Preston Trampower ever comes to anything or Glasgow Airport implements its tram ideas.

Yup! Metrobust is Bristol was supposed to start operations this month but we still don't have an operator! Construction disaster across the city and no one to run the bloody thing! Should've gone with a tram system.

·
SILENCE! I keeel U!
830 Posts

Yup! Metrobust is Bristol was supposed to start operations this month but we still don't have an operator! Construction disaster across the city and no one to run the bloody thing! Should've gone with a tram system.

·
Concerto Grosso
7,483 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts