SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks fantastic at first glance. I like the fact that they're pushing the idea of a miniature transportation hub in Kilbourntown with access to the streetcar, BRT and Bublr bikes. A nice addition to a rather dead block in the area.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
This is a great proposal. My only concern is that it might draw support away from completing the convention center over to Kilbourn. The city needs both parts to happen so it can truly compete with peer cities.

If that all happens, it would put the convention space over 500,000 sqr feet and that wouldn't include spillover space in the Milwaukee Theatre, the Panther Arena and whatever happens when the BC is torn down, not to mention the Bucks arena. If they do this right and go all the way, there could be venue enough for anything that might happen. Yet it would be flexible enough and unique enough to be very capable for just about any size needs.

Even Gen Con would be happy, not that they will ever come back. Imagine an indoor/outdoor Pokemon running from the Intermodal Station and future Post Office development all the way to the Park East! Shoot, with a footbridge across the Menomonee to the Harley Museum and tied into the skywalk system and the complete riverwalk, Kilbourntown could become one big entertainment center.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I think what we are seeing here in this proposal with three separately owned and operated hotels is a way for the expanded convention space to be funded.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what we are seeing here in this proposal with three separately owned and operated hotels is a way for the expanded convention space to be funded.
The article in the Business Journal makes it sound like the convention center space is still going to be solely funded by the Wisconsin Center District as well as them contributing a share of the money towards the construction of the skywalk over Wisconsin Ave. I guess we will have to wait and see exactly how the funding for this project is broken up as more details about this project are revealed, but right now it does not sound like this is a funding solution as such.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The article in the Business Journal makes it sound like the convention center space is still going to be solely funded by the Wisconsin Center District as well as them contributing a share of the money towards the construction of the skywalk over Wisconsin Ave. I guess we will have to wait and see exactly how the funding for this project is broken up as more details about this project are revealed, but right now it does not sound like this is a funding solution as such.

I do know from people who are involved with The Wisconsin Center District that they do not have the financial resources right now to expand the convention center on their own, because of this they are looking for a unique way to help fund an expansion.

I know everyone is excited about today's news, but remember that there are more proposals to come and The Nexus is far from set in stone. When I told the thread in the past that there were a lot of people working on an expansion of the convention center I was often shot down.

There has been a lot of talks and planning for several years now behind the scenes that the general public is not aware of on how to expand the convention center and the majority of these talks had to do with a unique way of how to finance it without raising the local hotel room taxes. For The Business Journal to say that The Wisconsin Center District is going to fund this on their own at this time is ludicrous as they currently do not have the funding. This is all that I have to say about this at this time.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I do know from people who are involved with The Wisconsin Center District that they do not have the financial resources right now to expand the convention center on their own, because of this they are looking for a unique way to help fund an expansion.

I know everyone is excited about today's news, but remember that there are more proposals to come and The Nexus is far from set in stone. When I told the thread in the past that there were a lot of people working on an expansion of the convention center I was often shot down.

There has been a lot of talks and planning for several years now behind the scenes that the general public is not aware of on how to expand the convention center and the majority of these talks had to do with a unique way of how to finance it without raising the local hotel room taxes. For The Business Journal to say that The Wisconsin Center District is going to fund this on there own at this time is ludicrous as they currently do not have the funding. This is all that I have to say about this at this time.
All props to you, man! High five! :banana:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Whether this happens or a different proposal...I love this design and the idea of multiple hotels being built on top of an expanded convention center.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry everyone but the article below is subscriber only so you are not going to be able to see anything more than what I cited unless you have a subscription. Even without any additional information I thought people would like to see what types of hotels were interested in this development. It would appear that this project is not going to fulfill my one hotel desire for downtown Milwaukee and attract a Four Seasons though...

Marriott, Starwood interested in Fourth and Wisconsin development

Marriott International and Starwood Hotels & Resorts have expressed interest in the proposed $279 million “Nexus” development at North Fourth Street and West Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/10/01/marriott-starwood-interested-in-fourth-and.html

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Sorry everyone but the article below is subscriber only so you are not going to be able to see anything more than what I cited unless you have a subscription. Even without any additional information I thought people would like to see what types of hotels were interested in this development. It would appear that this project is not going to fulfill my one hotel desire for downtown Milwaukee and attract a Four Seasons though...
That's good because after the merger they are just about the only companies left. Don't give up on Four Seasons though. The Bucks surely still have a convention hotel in mind for the BC.

·
🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲 🚲
3,389 Posts
I can't imagine a proposal from Marcus or anyone else being any better than this one. If it's built to these designs, it would almost certainly transform this block and even Westown into an attractive destination.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Statement from Marcus,

"“Marcus Hotels & Resorts submitted a proposal to the city of Milwaukee for a development at the corner of 4th Street and Wisconsin Avenue, adjacent to the Milwaukee Hilton City Center. It is our opinion that we have the best team, expertise and creativity for this important project.

We are collaborating with Eppstein Uhen, a top architectural firm in Milwaukee, and Mortenson, a leading developer and builder. The team leaders have a proven record of trust, creativity and confidence in projects locally and nationally.

As you know, the Marcus Corp. has a rich history and reputation of positive involvement in Wisconsin. We have called Milwaukee home for more than 60 years. We have invested in this local community and reinvested in the Hilton Milwaukee City Center both during times of economic challenge and economic prosperity.

Before we provide details, we think it is appropriate to first discuss any public release of information with city decision makers to respect their RFP process. What we can tell you is that our plan also helps put Milwaukee in the most competitive position to attract larger meetings and events. It will generate additional revenue and jobs for the city, and will benefit our entire community.

The Marcus-Eppstein Uhen-Mortenson proposal represents a creative, activated, and iconic initial idea that meets the city’s goals, as well as works from a financial feasibility and economic impact standpoint. We look forward to being part of this rolling submission process, working with the city leaders, and creating the optimal project for the site, the neighborhood, the investors, and the city of Milwaukee.”"

·
Voice of Reason (usually)
1,936 Posts
Anyone else suspect that the combination of Marriott's interest and the "X" sign on top of the shorter tower means that we'd likely see a 'W' hotel in the shorter tower?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts