Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Court cases as usual.This is a bad trend in Kenya.Everyone running to the courts to stop projects.I wonder if this project will take off.But on a positive note this is an indicator that the Chinese want a piece of real estate market.Soon we will start seeing a lot of this mega projects.Hopefully in Kilimani area...or they should target down town Nrb,river road side.I saw it on papers before the PMs visit,they mentioned Chinese plans to build apartments in Kilimani.Sounded like a major investment,and I don't think they would mention a usual 5 fl apartment in same line with the standard rail project and coal plants.I bet its something major.Brian,Zac, Adm Adama , or anyone in that area please dig for more info.

Ngilu joins row over prime city plot claimed by Chinese
0 Print
PHOTO/BILLY MUTAI Land Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu (Centre) flanked by NLC CEO Chavangi Aziz Tom (Left) and NLC Commissioner Samuel Torerei.
PHOTO/BILLY MUTAI Land Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu (Centre) flanked by NLC CEO Chavangi Aziz Tom (Left) and NLC Commissioner Samuel Torerei. NATION

In Summary
The property has been in the hands of the Vohra family who are prominent investors in the hotel industry under the Sarova Group.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has also not been left out of the saga.
ADVERTISEMENT

By Thomas Kariuki
More by this Author
By RICHARD MUNGUTI
More by this Author
A group of Chinese investors is now occupying prime property in the upmarket Lavington area that has been the subject of a long-drawn and unresolved court battle.

Lands Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu has been caught up in the controversy after she moved to help the investors launch a mega project for the construction of a 47-storey apartment complex a day after a court issued orders directing that no activity should take place pending the determination of a suit currently before Lady Justice Pauline Nyamweya.

The property has been in the hands of the Vohra family who are prominent investors in the hotel industry under the Sarova Group.

The ceremony was staged a day after a judge had directed a status quo over the ownership of the property which the plaintiff claims has been inherited through generations.

An Environmental and Lands Division court was moved under a certificate of urgency to stop the “official grabbing” of the multi-million-shilling property, which lies on Ndemi Road along Ngong Road within Nairobi County.

While the hoteliers were steadfastly clinging firmly to their property, a senior political figure was trying to reach out to the lawyer of Samvo Limited to woo him to abandon the court battle over the two-and-a-half acre property for a “lifetime fortune”.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has also not been left out of the saga.

Three suspects who were allegedly involved in pulling down a house built on the land were prosecuted from a police station away from that jurisdiction.
The suspects were charged by Muthaiga police station instead of Kilimani police station under which the land lies.

This leaves unanswered questions as to why Muthaiga acted in an area it does not watch.

Samvo Limited, who claim to be the registered proprietor of the land in question, then obtained an order on May 9 from Lady Justice Nyamweya prohibiting Delta Haulage Services Limited from developing or interfering in any way with the disputed parcel.

Delta has claimed ownership of the land and has been involved in litigation with Samvo from 2007.

The judge said the order she gave would remain in force pending the hearing and determination of the two suits filed in 2007 and 2012.

Documents from the Commissioner of Lands filed in court show that the property, as at 1998, belonged to Samvo Limited, a company under the Sarova Group, and in 2013, City Hall received land rates of Sh102,340 from the hoteliers.

The two suits will be heard on Tuesday.

On Friday last week, lawyer Musalia Mwenesi for Samvo told the court that Delta or their agents or their assigns, agents and/or foreign investors should be restrained from developing or interfering with the suit land pending its hearing and determination.

He also urged Justice Nyamweya to compel Kilimani police station to assist in enforcing the order so as to maintain the status quo of the premises.

But going by the grand launch officiated by Mrs Ngilu, the land is now slotted for a multi-billion-shilling housing investment meant for more than a 100 residential homes.

Mrs Ngilu is on record as asking police to protect Chinese investors.

She made the remarks during the inauguration ceremony of the Chinese housing project — Fountain Garden Apartments — by Catham Properties Limited owned by Mr Guo Dong two weeks ago.

Mr Mwenesi said that despite the Lands ministry being aware of the suit and a pending ruling touching on the suit property, it went ahead to authorise development.

“It will subvert justice if the foreign investor continues developing the land whose ownership is the subject matter of a suit pending determination in court for over seven years,” the lawyer said.

“My client is apprehensive that the development is being done hurriedly to subvert justice and in a bid to take advantage of the current embargo at Ardhi House’s central registry,” Mr Mwenesi argued.

In June 1999, Commissioner of Lands Sammy Mwaita, through an allotment letter, officially issued a clean sheet to Samvo Limited and consequently gave them the title deed for the property that July.

Delta Limited also claims ownership of the land, saying the ministry of Lands issued them with the land documents and a title deed in December 22, 1999.

The Delta Limited suit was, however, dismissed for lack of merit and an order of maintenance of the status quo issued in 2012. They consequently initiated an eviction application and later alleged that the file for the property had disappeared.

They alleged that one of Samvo’s directors, Mr Swarana Devi Vohra, transferred the property to them through a correspondence file at the Ardhi House.

The Lands Ministry, however, denied the claim, saying that “any document or conveyances without corresponding records at the master registry are either fake or forgeries.”

Samvo Company asked the court to strike out the accusations by Delta Haulage.

·
Banned
338 Posts
I hope we don't get one of those tall third world residential buildings like the ones clustered in India

·
Banned
338 Posts
Can we also get the source of such info

- Hey SE9 can you please mix my posts

im sorry ery'one for posting to much

i am to excited by the title

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By Nation Reporter
More by this Author
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s visit to Kenya is expected to spark off major Chinese investments in Kenya, making it the Asian giant’s regional investment hub.

The number of Chinese expatriates jetting into Kenya has doubled with many public and private companies from Beijing setting up bases in Nairobi.

Already a group of Chinese companies have come together to set up a China brand city in Athi River with dozens of storey buildings and industrial parks for Chinese products set to be built there.

The Athi River investment will cost over Sh60 billion to set up, with the designers of the plan anticipating the creation of over 200,000 jobs.

Yesterday, Mr Li said that his country is supporting the increasing investment by Chinese nationals in Kenya, adding that more businesses by both the public and private sector companies are expected to increase.

CHINA TOWN

It is estimated that over 20,000 Chinese expatriates may have entered the Kenyan market and are engaged in various aspects of economic development in the real estate, infrastructure, science and the engineering sectors.

The Chinese community has largely settled around Hurlingham and Parklands areas of Nairobi where there is increased acquisition of property for construction of highrise facilities.

Several major hotels targeting Chinese patrons have also been set up in Hurlingham where Chinese developers are investing in major properties as their interests in Kenya continue to grow.

“We are encouraging increased private sector investment in Kenya just as we do with public investment,” Mr Li stated.

Major Chinese companies including those in the automobile industries have been scouting for properties as they plan to relocate to Nairobi from where they intend to set up their regional headquarters.

“Many Chinese companies consider Kenya to be a better trade centre for their products. Many companies are making inquiries about Kenya — they want to put their money here,” said Mr Guo Dong, who is a Chinese investment adviser based in Nairobi.

In the media industry alone, major Chinese news outlets like CCTV have set up shop in Nairobi sparking off competition with their Western rivals who dominated the region for ages.

[/QUOTE]“There is increasing interest by Chinese investors who believe that the environment in Kenya is better than anywhere else in Africa. That is why China wants tighter ties with Kenya,” said Mao Yizong.

Mr Mao said that there are hundreds of Chinese companies in infrastructure, tourism, automobiles and other fields with branches in Nairobi.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Catham apartments

Chinese premier reciprocates visit
Multi-million dollar deals expected to be sealed during State visit by Chinese PM.

President Uhuru Kenyatta receives Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang when he arrived at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on May 9, 2014 for a State visit. On his left is Deputy President William Ruto. PHOTO | PSCU
President Uhuru Kenyatta receives Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang when he arrived at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on May 9, 2014 for a State visit. On his left is Deputy President William Ruto. PHOTO | PSCU

ADVERTISEMENT
Chinese premier Li Keqiang arrived in Nairobi on Friday night to begin a three-day official visit to Kenya in a tour that will culminate in a meeting with four East African Presidents later on Sunday.

Mr Li, who was accompanied by his wife Mrs Cheng Hong, jetted in shortly before nine together with a delegation of over 300 businessmen and senior State officials.

He was received at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport by his host President Uhuru Kenyatta who was accompanied by several government officials.

Several multimillion dollar deals are expected to be signed by the two leaders between Saturday and Sunday during the tour that is also geared towards enhancing the China-Kenya bilateral relationship.

APARTMENT BLOCK

Mr Li’s visit is expected to focus on politics, economy, trade, infrastructure, science and technology as well as environmental protection. He kicked off his African tour on May 4 and has visited Ethiopia, Angola and Nigeria where he attended the 24th World Economic Forum in Abuja.

On Friday, Catham Properties - a top Chinese real estate investment company - launched the construction of an apartment block on Muringa road as part of their new real estate ventures in Kenya.

“We are also planning to set up ‘an African Dubai’ at Athi River which will be a centre for employment and a major business hub for the region in the coming days,” said Prof Guo Dong the Chief Executive Officer of Catham. The growing Chinese interest in Kenyan real estate sector was due to availability of market, he said.

The PM will hold talks with President Kenyatta on bilateral relations, international issues and regional maters. He is also scheduled to visit the National Youth Service among other institutions.

President Kenyatta visited China in August last year as an initial step towards cementing ties between the two countries.

According to the Chinese Embassy, Kenya’s exports to China stand at $50 million annually while the country’s imports from the Southeast Asian nation stand at $3.2 billion. Imports from China are mainly machinery, electronics, vehicles and spare parts, iron and steel, and plastic and rubber products, apparels and accessories, footwear and furniture.

Kenya’s exports to China include leather and skins, vegetable, textile fibre, copper and plastics, ores and concentrates, fish, tea and coffee.

Chinese Ambassador to Kenya Liu Xianfa said China has become Kenya’s second largest trade partner as source of foreign direct investment.

“China-Kenya relations have maintained an all-round rapid development with stronger friendship, more frequent high level exchanges, deeper political mutual trust, practical cooperation and enlarged people-to-people exchanges,” said the ambassador.
I wana think this is a major project

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Name of the apartments are called "Fountain Garden Apartments" they will be build on Ndemi Road near Ngong Road.

I can't find any renders or a website for Catham Properties.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I remember Charity Ngilu doing the groundbreaking of an apartment building by that same guy Mr Guo Dong. She did in one day ahead of the Prime ministers arrival in Kenya. Same guy Mr Guo Dong is the one who talked about the Athi River project (African Dubai)

I also looked up "Catham Properties Limited" at the same time but did not come up with much on that company.

I hope it is not another scam to make some quick money.
Will believe it when I see the projects off the ground.

·
thenairobidude
3,894 Posts
Court cases as usual.This is a bad trend in Kenya.Everyone running to the courts to stop projects.I wonder if this project will take off.But on a positive note this is an indicator that the Chinese want a piece of real estate market.Soon we will start seeing a lot of this mega projects.Hopefully in Kilimani area...or they should target down town Nrb,river road side.I saw it on papers before the PMs visit,they mentioned Chinese plans to build apartments in Kilimani.Sounded like a major investment,and I don't think they would mention a usual 5 fl apartment in same line with the standard rail project and coal plants.I bet its something major.Brian,Zac, Adm Adama , or anyone in that area please dig for more info.
Yet Nairobians still wonder why their city's skyline almost looks the same as it did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I remember Charity Ngilu doing the groundbreaking of an apartment building by that same guy Mr Guo Dong. She did in one day ahead of the Prime ministers arrival in Kenya. Same guy Mr Guo Dong is the one who talked about the Athi River project (African Dubai)

I also looked up "Catham Properties Limited" at the same time but did not come up with much on that company.

I hope it is not another scam to make some quick money.
Will believe it when I see the projects off the ground.
Find us that groundbreaking video or photos....

I also looked for the website of these guys catham properties and found nothing.Unless their website is in Chinese,we need someone to tell us who these guys are.

Exactly I want to track down and see if they have built similar projects.

I did search for Catham Properties and I got a shell company in HongKong unless the words Catham are in Chinese... I'll try again to find them....

But question is does the great Chinese firewall allow them to post project information online????

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Find us that groundbreaking video or photos....
Ngilu tips Chinese investors ahead of Premier's visit
Daily Nation
Friday, May 9, 2014
Lands Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu Friday asked Chinese investors to consider financing housing projects as a way to control rural-urban migration.
The Lands CS was speaking at a ground breaking ceremony for Fountain Garden- a gated community’s apartments to be built along Ngong road on Muringe-Ndemi drive area by Chinese company, Catham Properties Limited owned by Mr Guo Dong.

According to the minister, a steady reduction in poverty levels has seen the improvement of the economic livelihoods of the population and fuelling a higher demand for better housing.

She asked the Chinese delegation that arrived Thursday evening ahead of China’s Republic Prime Minister Li Keqiang visit on Friday to consider investing in housing for this would reduce the number of those living in deplorable conditions in the slum areas and improve their livelihoods.

“We need to deal with our slums once and for all. Please tell your prime minister to talk about housing and how China will help Kenya overcome this thorny issue. I look forward to working with your Government in the Lands Ministry,” she said.

The minister also said that the government was aiming at easing housing problems by developing 300,000 housing units in the next four years.
Mrs Ngilu asked the Chinese investors to partner with the government so as to develop local houses that are affordable to Kenyans.

Launching of this project comes a day after President Uhuru Kenyatta threw his weight behind the minister on the land reforms she has initiated in her ministry despite opposition by the National Lands Commission.

NLC is seeking a court order to suspend the gazette notices of May 2 and 4 recommending the closure of the lands offices for 10 days to pave way for digitisation of the records.

According to the Lands commission, the closure of the registry offices has stalled services and they want the decision to be quashed to allow them access their offices.

However, President Kenyatta commended the Lands CS for her courage to bring the desired reforms to the ministry and asked her to maximise the 10-day closure to complete the exercise.

The President who had made an impromptu visit to the Ministry of Lands headquarters at Ardhi House challenged those opposed to restructuring of the ministry to give Ms Ngilu a chance

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I am concerned about these countless unnecessary court cases.They just stall these great projects unnecessarily.While we were still bickering the Chinese constructed the 87 km Addis-Adama Freeway which was launched by Chinese Premier Keqiang and Ethiopian PM.Thika Superhighway is only 50 km

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think its one project.Just googled,Ndemi road and Muringa road .This two roads intersect.Its not far from yaya center.Probelm is land cases last a lifetime.This project might stall,unless chinese pays the plantiff

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
the court cases mean money into someone's pocket.
that's why kenyans rush to the courts anytime they hear a project is coming up...they hoping to get "bought."

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I think first of all it is a bad idea to invite a cabinet secretary to a groundbreaking ceremony.From then on it turns political and this 'vested interests' tag comes in

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
WOW!,that is amaizing,but the courts again,these cases are all over,they have stalled tatu city,Konza city,Delta hotel,Man..they are so many,well,First,let this project be in Kilimani not Upperhill,I would prefer uperhill to have highrises for offices not residential,and it is good the tower will be situated on Muringa road,The sifa and FCB towers are not far away from the project,so it might make a good cluster of skyscrapers!,The roads were recwntly done,looking very good.so i have no problem with the site place,though it would have been great if the Airtel guys did get land to build their headquaters in Kilimani,the place would get good buildings,though the courts really demoralizes someone :bash:

·
"Structures don't lie" on
804 Posts
its the 47 flrs that look fishy, that's one tall structure for residential apartments. That area doesn't have anything above 10 flrs, it will stick out badly

1 - 20 of 46 Posts