Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its possible that my girlfriend and I might move to Sheffield next year due to a new job. Any advice on the best places to rent an apartment (possibly one day buy?) and also areas to avoid like the plague.

Ps. I'm not lucky enough to have ever been to Sheffield but this forum is showing me good things about it :).

·
Registered
501 Posts
IMO avoid all places north of the city centre apart from Hillsborough, Walkey etc. Can't really speak for places like stocksbridge, Grenoside and Ecclesfield. But i heard house etc are quite cheap up these for what they are.

South of the city centre is fine but aviod the council estates like the Manor, Abourthorne, Norfolk park although they say this area is improving well due to all the new builds.

Places to reccomend are:

City Centre - obvious why
Ecclesall road area - shops, upmarket restaurants, coffee shops etc
Hunters bar - not far out of the centre and is nice
Heeley - not bad
Hillsborough - about 15 minutes from the centre on the tram but like a town on it's own with all the shops etc.
Crookes, Broomhill etc are fine aswell.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It depends how much you are wiling to spend, I'd say if you want to spend a lot (or have a good eye to spot a bargain) go for the West and south west of the city as you'll not find nicer areas anywhere in the country. If you fancy something a bit cheaper I'd definately look at Norfolk Park as it is an area that has been completely transformed and has awesome views of the city.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i don't know if it makes any difference to you, and i'm only going by what i see in your screen name, but there's quite a large chinese population situated around the london road area. it's definately a lively place with plenty of restaurants, shops and a few new flats here and there. very close to the city centre too.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Think I agree with most, if she can afford it, the areas to the west of the city are great (as has been said, some of the nicest suburbs in the UK). Broomhill, Ecclesall Road and London Road are all quite lively places although quuite studenty (which could be good or bad). Crookes and Hillsborough are not bad either. Afraid I don't really know the other areas so well.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
This is very subjective. It really depends on what you are looking for and what you want to be near etc. What I find good or bad about a particular area may be the complete opposite of what you think.

·
Laughing at the Pigs
967 Posts
IMO avoid all places north of the city centre apart from Hillsborough, Walkey etc. Can't really speak for places like stocksbridge, Grenoside and Ecclesfield. But i heard house etc are quite cheap up these for what they are.

South of the city centre is fine but aviod the council estates like the Manor, Abourthorne, Norfolk park although they say this area is improving well due to all the new builds.

Places to reccomend are:

City Centre - obvious why
Ecclesall road area - shops, upmarket restaurants, coffee shops etc
Hunters bar - not far out of the centre and is nice
Heeley - not bad
Hillsborough - about 15 minutes from the centre on the tram but like a town on it's own with all the shops etc.
Crookes, Broomhill etc are fine aswell.

Hope that helps!
AVOID ALL PLACES NORTH OF THE CITY CENTRE...........what are you on mate, you cheeky sod, don't know where you live but find me better areas in Sheffield unless your wanting to pay £300,000 + and live in the South West of the city.......(an area that unless your paying top whack isn't really all that) than these.......
Wadsley, Stannington, Loxley, Grenoside, Worrall, Wadsley Park, Oughtibridge, Rivelin, Crooks, Walkley, Crosspool, Hillsborough all in the "North of the City"

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've lived just about in every postcode in the city.
The suggestions up to now made me laugh!
Forget London road- its a dump. Lively?? It's noisy, full of 1900's decrepit houses, and is crime ridden.
S1- can be ok if you're after city living
S2- Dump
S3-dump
S4-AVOID at allcosts
S5-AVOID
S6- nice in parts, stannington, loxley, hillsborough are all ok. Down to earth yorkshire people.
S7- Most of it is nice-
S8- OK- average Except- Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Lowedges, they're crime ridden
S9- AVOID
S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter!
S11- Very very nice too
S12- Dump bar frecheville maybe
S13- Handsworth is ok, the rest is rubbish
S14- Souless
S17- Very very nice- I'd love to live there. Dore is gorgeous.
S18 Average- Dronfield is ok in parts
S20- Souless
S35- Not great
S32/S33 Very nice

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've lived just about in every postcode in the city.
The suggestions up to now made me laugh!
Forget London road- its a dump. Lively?? It's noisy, full of 1900's decrepit houses, and is crime ridden.
S1- can be ok if you're after city living
S2- Dump
S3-dump
S4-AVOID at allcosts
S5-AVOID
S6- nice in parts, stannington, loxley, hillsborough are all ok. Down to earth yorkshire people.
S7- Most of it is nice-
S8- OK- average
S9- AVOID
S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter!
S11- Very very nice too
S12- Dump
S13- Handsworth is ok, the rest is rubbish
S14- Souless
S18 Average- Dronfield is ok in parts
S20- Souless
S35- Not great
S32/S33 Very nice
S3 - Kelham Island? An excellent urban village, hardly a dump

S35 "not great"? - Includes Grenoside and has some wonderful houses very close to the open countryside going for about £500k!

I will stop there.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
S36 is Great I would highly recomend in I was brought up in Stocksbridge which is a nice town with great transport links and right next to the Peak District. The town has a nice attmosphere and its a great place to bring up kids the schools are some of the best in Sheffield/the country there are loads of playing fields many summers were spent playing football hour hours on end.

House prices are still quite low but I imagine they will not be for too much longer as more and more people are moving into the area. If you have more money though Penistone (technically in Barnsley) is a great town to live in again it has good transport links and is right next to the countryside although most houses are already very expensive and I think they will continue to rise.

My Grandad lived on Ridgeway road at Manor Top and never had any problems it also seemed quite a nice area plus its alot closer to the City.

·
Registered
224 Posts
S3 - Kelham Island? An excellent urban village, hardly a dump

S35 "not great"? - Includes Grenoside and has some wonderful houses very close to the open countryside going for about £500k!

I will stop there.

Well ok new flats down kelham still hardly inviting @ the mo (imo of course)

S35 is rubbish though. The nice countryside is derbyshire, grenoside is souless (Imo again of course)

·
Registered
894 Posts
This thread could lead to somewhere unpleasant and I don't mean any area of Sheffield. I happen to live in one of the areas which are a "dump" - it's like anywhere else - good and bad. I know no ill will is meant by these comments, its just advice.

·
Hope Valley
176 Posts
Totally agree. Good and bad in all postal districts. Take the very very nice S11 district. As well as Eccleshall, it contains the Landsdowne Estate.

I’m in S3. It has great pubs; I can walk to work without worrying about parking or traffic congestion, good transport links.

Depends what you what/need.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I guess it all depends what you're after (is travel an issue?) and where your place of work is.

If you've got kids you want the South West of the city (Dore, Ranmoor, Ecclesall etc), because that's where all the best schools are based. All very nice safe areas but house prices are very expensive relative to other parts of Sheffield.

The South East of the City going out towards the Mosborough Townships (Mosborough, Halfway, Owlthorpe) has some nice affordable housing, but I've always thought the area to be a bit souless. Don't touch the Manor, Arbourthorne or any areas around there with a barge pole.

I'm personally from the North of the city. I'd suggest avoiding places like Parson Cross, Shiregreen, Southey Green like the plague (appologies to folks who live there). Hillsborough isn't bad, but parking is a nightmare and I believe house prices have risen quite steeply there in recent times. Grenoside (where I was brought up), Stannington, Loxley and Crookes are all quite nice areas.

I live in High Green at the moment, that's a little town in its own right with some nice and some very dodgy areas, it's also quite a distance from town. Housing is affordable, which is why I'm living here and not in Grenoside :lol:

I'm not right keen on the East of the City (Attercliffe, Darnall etc), although it's improving it is still a bit run down.

Regards

Doom

·
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"S10- Very very nice area- if you're renting not too expensive either, buying is another matter!
S11- Very very nice too
S32/S33 Very nice"

Thanks everyone. So which areas are S10, S11, S17, S32, S33?

S10 sounds interesting? (we'd be renting - atleast at first) Is it near the city centre?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've lived in S10 (Broomhill) for the past 6 years and it's great. Close enough to walk to the city centre, but it's really green and if you chose the right part of Broomhill you can get away from the students (if you want to). Absolutely fabulous place I love it. And will miss it as I'm moving to V1 today!

·
Registered
774 Posts
indeed as a student resident myself i can confirm it is a lovely part of sheffield to live, especially crookes and broomhill with all the shops and services you need and some fantastic terraced houses, at the top of crookes you also get amazing views of the city!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts