Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zungeru Hydro-Electric Dam

Zungeru Hydropower Station located on the Kaduna River in Nigeria is constructed mainly for power generation flood protection, irrigation, water supply and as well as cultivation. The project includes the combined dam (RCC dam with height of 90m and length of 1,090m, and clay core earth-rock dam), intake tower, diversion tunnel, underground powerhouse, power transmission line and access road. The power station has a total installed capacity of 700 MW (4×175MW), being the largest power station in Nigeria.
Source

Reactions: Ras Siyan

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At the Ground Breaking Ceremony

Procurement Phase

Installation Phase

(Latest Photo Update) This Steel Bridge was recently built across the River Kaduna to ease the construction process on the banks

Reactions: Naija-in-JP

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,885 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE WHY CCECC IS GETTING THE MAJORITY OF THESE PROJECTS THESE DAYS AND NOT NIGERIAN CONTRACTING FIRMS LIKE JB? WAS THERE SOME KIND OF CLAUSE IN THE LOANS CHINA GAVE US THAT STATES WE HAVE TO USE THE CHINESE STATE OWNED CONSTRUCTION FIRM FOR THE MAJORITY % OF OUR PROJECTS? OR IS THERE SOMETHING I NEED TO KNOW?

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JB is actually bigger in Nigeria than CCECC. CCECC is the second biggest.

·
Registered
276 Posts
1) All the projects that CCECC is doing is financed mostly by the Chinese Government

2) All the loans are very low interest loans in comparison to what IMF and World bank will loan nigerian government.

3) With respect to the Nigerian Content law, Majority of the workers are nigerian. Only in the senior management in each project you will find chinese. Lets be honest, Nigeria is suffering in skill gap just like so many african countries.

4) The only string attached by the chinese government for this "very low interest loan" is that a chinese company, Preferably CCECC, handle these projects. I think it a fair deal IMHO. Its a little price to pay for the loan.

5) Nigerian banks are growing but still haven't grown to the level financing a lot of massive projects with low interest. Mergers and Consolidation of Nigerian banks (Phase 2) needs to happen again.

6) All the project that CCECC is handling has chinese money involved. For projects that chinese money is NOT involved in, they compete for it just like every other construction company in nigeria.

7) If you hate the above facts consider this. Who is the major financier of the Niger Bridge? Julius Berger. Who is the Contractor? Julius Berger. Why didn't the nigerian government let other companies construct it? obviously because Julius berger is the majority share holder. Now replace Julius Berger with CCECC.

I hope my explanation helps you all get a clearer picture of the situation.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Courtesy of Power China

May 2014, New Phase has commenced.

Completion of diversion channel and the first stage of concreting.

Source

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thank heavens the North is experiencing slow, but steady development in spite of the insecurity concerns. Good to see there is progress being made!:banana:

Reactions: Tegh7

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Courtesy of http://www.baju.com.cn/

May 22, 2014 ( Left Bank Power Station aggregate system went into operation). Used for the concrete diversion channel.

Source

and another image of the Diversion Channel (Also from May 2014)

·
Registered
211 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE WHY CCECC IS GETTING THE MAJORITY OF THESE PROJECTS THESE DAYS AND NOT NIGERIAN CONTRACTING FIRMS LIKE JB? WAS THERE SOME KIND OF CLAUSE IN THE LOANS CHINA GAVE US THAT STATES WE HAVE TO USE THE CHINESE STATE OWNED CONSTRUCTION FIRM FOR THE MAJORITY % OF OUR PROJECTS? OR IS THERE SOMETHING I NEED TO KNOW?
Gareth,

Its the time tested bait and switch introduced to us by the Western nations. SO China is just carrying on a tradition from the 60's and 70's. China loans us monies to build and expand, and the contracts get awarded to Chinese companies.

It is so glaringly STUPID that it is a wonder educated people like our Honorable Minster of Finance or Economic development don't see it, or rather they are also benefiting from it.

Having said that MOST of us are victims of this in our daily lives, for example you want to buy a brand new Toyota in the US, well you don't have $30,000 in your pocket, so Toyota offers you Toyota financing to purchase the car they made, and you pay them in affordable monthly installments. Same simple idea on a grand scale.

But I hope we are getting some transfer technology benefits from these deals.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

^^ temporary diversion channel

^^ casting the first batch of concrete for the spillways on 6 Jun 2016

^^ roller compacted concrete

^^ phase 2 diversion channel

^^ river closure on 15 Dec 2016

^^ river closure

^^ river closure

^^ base of the main dam

source source source source source source
source source source
source source source

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
GG
5,885 Posts
i always wondered why we just dont dam the niger river, south of lokoja. The amount of water flow from the benue and Niger river plus the change in grade elevation will lead to a very powerful Mega watts dam probably 5,000 - 8,000 mega watts

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
always wondered the same. it would do wonders for the farming too by irrigating a great deal of the land in nigeria

·
15,239 Posts
i always wondered why we just dont dam the niger river, south of lokoja. The amount of water flow from the benue and Niger river plus the change in grade elevation will lead to a very powerful Mega watts dam probably 5,000 - 8,000 mega watts
It could have serious ecological effects further downstream.... but hey! knowing Nigeria as a country which doesn't give a damn about environment.... I don't exactly get why they haven't done just that.

Maybe the gradient or soil types (base rock complex) isn't there.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts