SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
unearned money? but the other states kept afloat by the oil money earned it how? and that isnt a rhetorical question. explain how they earned it. thieves? yes they are. but thats all politicians in nigeria. why the selective anger at those from the ND?
They are all un-earned! :eek:hno:

Like I said earlier, the THIEVES all over Nigeria are the SAME and thus the THIEVES in the Niger Delta gets no pass from me - unlike from you. Using poor PEOPLE who are getting desperately POORER to justify armed robbery and brigandage should make ANY decent and moral person angry. SMDH

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
anyway, youre missing the point. youre angry that the whole region and it smacks of bad belle. A more focused look would show you there are big differences in how oil plays out in the region. militance is limited to a few states and those two states were pushed to the brim. the only response was to fight back. we are all better for their efforts. Cross river gets virtually no oil money, so why are you angry at them. also cross river, akwa ibom, edo and others were not home to militants so again why are you angry at them for using strong arm tactics to get "unearned money". if anything, looking at the poverty stats you provided, it looks like it makes sense to agitate as the militants in bayelsa and rivers did as they have lower poverty rates
Er...dude...YOU are the one that dragged Cross River state into the discourse. :nuts:

BTW, before you keep on straying away from the initial point under discourse and resorting to cheap and crude emotionalism ("bad belle", "selective anger" and the usual primordial tripe that often characterizes public discourse in Nigeria), let me reiterate that my limited point remains that the so-called "militancy" (the apparently politically palatable moniker for armed terrorism) did NOT "increase" money to the PEOPLE (emphasis added) of the Niger Delta - and I should know that PERSONALLY - but only to sponsors, suppliers and perpetrators of armed violent terrorism, who normally would be prosecuted in any remotely civilized society.

The 13% derivation principle was enshrined in the 1999 Constitution - and so it PRE-DATES the so-called militancy. Similarly, the predecessor(s) of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) also PRE-DATES the armed terrorism - going all the way back to the Niger Delta Development Board of 1958 (that is, BEFORE most of us were even born), through the Niger Delta Basin Development Authority of the 1970s and 1980s and OMPADEC (the Oil Mineral Producing Areas Development Commission) of the 1990s up to the present-day NDDC (a veritable slush fund for crooked politicians and sundry rent-seekers).

The only arguable structural result of the so-called militancy (apart of course from the obvious windfall for suppliers and users of weapons and their sponsors) has been the LAUGHABLE bureaucratic blackhole known as the 'Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs' - a political and cash boondoggle for touts like the last Minister who made a public spectacle and disgrace of himself before the whole world when he futilely attempted to derail the last election results. The IRONY is that under the so-called Federal Character principle (religiously enforced by another bean-counting bureaucratic nonsense called the Federal Character Commission), the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs employs (and benefits) myriad times more non-Niger Delta people.

Nigerians love to moan about poor leaders but yet we have regular folks here effectively supporting the killing and maiming of innocent folks (the kids of that family that were killed in the infamous Independence Day bombing - for which those on trial are not being referred to by some as "political prisoners" - had NOTHING to do with revenue allocation or oil prospecting, as have the myriad drivers, company guards and sundry other civilians MURDERED by your militants). Which reaffirms the truism that Nigerian leadership is merely a REFLECTION of the greater populace itself and its mores - where the sanctity of life (and that means EVERY single human life) is routinely relegated in the crude pursuit of (often un-earned) money!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
The 13% thing is silly. I'm of the opinion that if it's in your state the most should do is remit taxes back to the federal government like Texas. If they waste their money that's really their business. Only when it affects humans and the environment should the government step in and take control.

Oil money is being wasted all over Nigeria and not the SS so :dunno:
In any remotely civilized country, PRODUCERS of wealth get the money and pay taxes. In Nigeria, you sit on your fat behind and (using your political or tribal affiliation or crude armed violence) collect the wealth produced by the hard work of others.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts

Like I said earlier, the THIEVES all over Nigeria are the SAME and thus the THIEVES in the Niger Delta gets no pass from me - unlike from you. Using poor PEOPLE who are getting desperately POORER to justify armed robbery and brigandage should make ANY decent and moral person angry. SMDH
i dont justify any stealing. but since these are all we have, when some do a decent job like akpabio i'll praise him.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
In any remotely civilized country, PRODUCERS of wealth get the money and pay taxes. In Nigeria, you sit on your fat behind and (using your political or tribal affiliation or crude armed violence) collect the wealth produced by the hard work of others.
if nigeria had a fair tax regime, or some other package, no one would use violence. who is working hard here? Shell? they're actually the thieves. they go into terrible contracts using the force of the state, breach them, pollute the environment and pay nothing and walk away.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Er...dude...YOU are the one that dragged Cross River state into the discourse. :nuts:

BTW, before you keep on straying away from the initial point under discourse and resorting to cheap and crude emotionalism ("bad belle", "selective anger" and the usual primordial tripe that often characterizes public discourse in Nigeria), let me reiterate that my limited point remains that the so-called "militancy" (the apparently politically palatable moniker for armed terrorism) did NOT "increase" money to the PEOPLE (emphasis added) of the Niger Delta - and I should know that PERSONALLY - but only to sponsors, suppliers and perpetrators of armed violent terrorism, who normally would be prosecuted in any remotely civilized society.

The 13% derivation principle was enshrined in the 1999 Constitution - and so it PRE-DATES the so-called militancy. Similarly, the predecessor(s) of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) also PRE-DATES the armed terrorism - going all the way back to the Niger Delta Development Board of 1958 (that is, BEFORE most of us were even born), through the Niger Delta Basin Development Authority of the 1970s and 1980s and OMPADEC (the Oil Mineral Producing Areas Development Commission) of the 1990s up to the present-day NDDC (a veritable slush fund for crooked politicians and sundry rent-seekers).

The only arguable structural result of the so-called militancy (apart of course from the obvious windfall for suppliers and users of weapons and their sponsors) has been the LAUGHABLE bureaucratic blackhole known as the 'Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs' - a political and cash boondoggle for touts like the last Minister who made a public spectacle and disgrace of himself before the whole world when he futilely attempted to derail the last election results. The IRONY is that under the so-called Federal Character principle (religiously enforced by another bean-counting bureaucratic nonsense called the Federal Character Commission), the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs employs (and benefits) myriad times more non-Niger Delta people.

Nigerians love to moan about poor leaders but yet we have regular folks here effectively supporting the killing and maiming of innocent folks (the kids of that family that were killed in the infamous Independence Day bombing - for which those on trial are not being referred to by some as "political prisoners" - had NOTHING to do with revenue allocation or oil prospecting, as have the myriad drivers, company guards and sundry other civilians MURDERED by your militants). Which reaffirms the truism that Nigerian leadership is merely a REFLECTION of the greater populace itself and its mores - where the sanctity of life (and that means EVERY single human life) is routinely relegated in the crude pursuit of (often un-earned) money!
militancy in the niger delta began in the 50s actually, then turned into a mix of militancy and advocacy with the likes of saro-wiwa and some violence in the 90s. then it evolved into what is it today.

the niger delta militants have killed people but largely have avoided that sort of violence. it has been mainly an economic campaign, which is why they have the support they do. if they killed primarily with economic principles secondarily as the focus they wouldnt have that support.

and ive pointed out that there have been tangible benefits to the increased monies. you find better infra built in akwa ibom for instance. but where a governor chooses to steal like amaechi then you don't get much

·
Registered
27,578 Posts
But what is the solution then?

I feel by leaving this 13% hanging in the wind gives some of these militants an excuse. If oil production is completely in their control then it's pretty hard for militants to blame anyone but governors at that point. The FG can completely absolve itself.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think the only true solution is resource control. In the short term maybe the 13% should go to independent LG councils. I think there'd still be some problems, but there would also be a lot more development which would ultimately reduce the number of militants.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
if nigeria had a fair tax regime, or some other package, no one would use violence. who is working hard here? Shell? they're actually the thieves. they go into terrible contracts using the force of the state, breach them, pollute the environment and pay nothing and walk away.
Shell is an easy mark - easier to blame than the government that takes anywhere from 80-90% of every dollar from each barrel of oil, negotiates the so-called "terrible" contracts and cannot even enforce their own laws (where they have it) mostly because they are blinded by free un-earned money! Yet, even for its numerous faults, the same Shell still work 'hard' enough to produce much of that wealth that Nigerian THIEVES and sundry rent-seekers are killing each other over (even among the Niger Delta ethnicities) and falling over themselves from Kaura Namoda downwards to get their grubby hands on - without adding any value! But typically, let's not take responsibility (or hold our OWN thieves - official or non-official - responsible) for our circumstances. It's all someone else's fault. Poor little us!

·
Registered
11 Posts
But what is the solution then?

I feel by leaving this 13% hanging in the wind gives some of these militants an excuse. If oil production is completely in their control then it's pretty hard for militants to blame anyone but governors at that point. The FG can completely absolve itself.
Until the FG of Nigeria recognize the value of its youth (whom are largely unemployed) the issue of militancy will continue to linger. The solution will be difficult, it will have to take a lot of guts to achieve.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Ekema, one of your "advocates" is back home. This is how some Nigerians treat someone who has actually been properly and transparently tried and convicted for stealing from THEM! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Ekema, one of your "advocates" is back home. This is how some Nigerians treat someone who has actually been properly and transparently tried and convicted for stealing from THEM! :eek:hno:

Is this unique in Nigeria? People are still praising Buhari as he steals from and kills Nigerians. But keep focusing on the Niger Delta and "unearned" money

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Is this unique in Nigeria? People are still praising Buhari as he steals from and kills Nigerians. But keep focusing on the Niger Delta and "unearned" money
Is anything we criticize "unique in Nigeria"? Is power shortage "unique"? Are bad road "unique"? Is bad governance "unique"? Heck, is Buhari's "killing" unique? Were Nigerians not "killed" under Jonathan, YarAdua or Obasanjo?!

Dude, quit LOWERING standards of public discourse. As I previously told you, unlike you (and your ilk), I am disgusted (and "focused") on ALL THIEVES, looters and leeches - without distinction as to ethnicity or geographic (or as they say here, 'geopolitical') affiliation. Unlike you and Mr. Ibori, it makes no difference to any person with any sense of decency or morality that the THIEF is 'one of our own' (as he once proclaimed).

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Because this discussion was not about the Niger Delta?! [email protected] primordial sophistry. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Is anything we criticize "unique in Nigeria"? Is power shortage "unique"? Are bad road "unique"? Is bad governance "unique"? Heck, is Buhari's "killing" unique? Were Nigerians not "killed" under Jonathan, YarAdua or Obasanjo?!

Dude, quit LOWERING standards of public discourse. As I previously told you, unlike you (and your ilk), I am disgusted (and "focused") on ALL THIEVES, looters and leeches - without distinction as to ethnicity or geographic (or as they say here, 'geopolitical') affiliation. Unlike you and Mr. Ibori, it makes no difference to any person with any sense of decency or morality that the THIEF is 'one of our own' (as he once proclaimed).
you're just upset for nothing. you're supposedly equally upset at all thieves but only criticism certain ones :lol: first, some criticisms are unique in nigeria. GEJ allowed for open discourse about his admin and that right being dead under Buhari is one. even OBJ was better about it. killings too? What killings were there under GEJ? what group was targeted like we have had in this regime?

But this argument here, about stealing and praising shitty leaders, is not unique to any region so im confused as to why you been directing your ire at the niger delta and 'unearned' money? Abacha has even been praised by Buhari and his kin continue to operate in the corridors of power. people still kiss IBB's behind. you're making an ethnic argument to a broad nigerian problem. you're just parroting the argument many nigerians make that the niger delta doesnt deserve any of the money that comes from their region, so you exaggerate corruption in those region to say, look they arent poor because of our unfair treamtent, but its because their leaders are so horrible. and that the money does no good because they are the the 'poorest" region. which is why you tried to say the region was the poorest in the south when it isnt. though the SW is the richest, i bet its only so because Lagos skews the results. your argument is used by other oppressors. nothing new

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Of course there was bloodletting during GEJ's admin, as wanton as under the current administration, exclusive of BH's glory days. Mind you the fulani killings didn't start under Buhari. There's probably no administration in Nigeria present and past since 1999, that has successfully curbed the bloodletting.

However, the blame is always sentimental as is the case with anything in Nigeria. Just as during GEJ's admin where most muslims/northerners felt targeted and blamed and spewed conspiracies about GEJ's 'supposed' complicity to their misery. So also is the case right now, most christians/southerners are blaming and accusing Buhari of killing and allowing killings to happen. Which is fair since he's responsible for the security of the country as president, and needs to urgently address the situation.

It is however, ridiculous to accuse the president of being behind the killings or even approving of them, just because he's fulani.

Oh and under GEJ, we had a more prolific DSS spokesperson, who was always in the news, usually up to no good trying to defend her agencies actions. Point is, the DSS under GEJ was just as active perhaps even more active.

I don't believe the 'right to open discourse' is dead under this admin, it's just not being heeded.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Of course there was bloodletting during GEJ's admin, as wanton as under the current administration, exclusive of BH's glory days. Mind you the fulani killings didn't start under Buhari. There's probably no administration in Nigeria present and past since 1999, that has successfully curbed the bloodletting.

However, the blame is always sentimental as is the case with anything in Nigeria. Just as during GEJ's admin where most muslims/northerners felt targeted and blamed and spewed conspiracies about GEJ's 'supposed' complicity to their misery. So also is the case right now, most christians/southerners are blaming and accusing Buhari of killing and allowing killings to happen. Which is fair since he's responsible for the security of the country as president, and needs to urgently address the situation.

It is however, ridiculous to accuse the president of being behind the killings or even approving of them, just because he's fulani.

Oh and under GEJ, we had a more prolific DSS spokesperson, who was always in the news, usually up to no good trying to defend her agencies actions. Point is, the DSS under GEJ was just as active perhaps even more active.

I don't believe the 'right to open discourse' is dead under this admin, it's just not being heeded.
i may have forgotten so remind me, who was killed under GEJ? i believe Jobless is referring to targeting killings like those against the Shia, and IPOB, not the terrorist crimes by groups like herdsmen and BH. there's a big difference between the two.

as for the part in bold you know thats totally false. peaceful parades are cancelled under the threat of arrest just yesterday, we have had bloggers and other dissidents arrested and even killed. werent IPOB members killed last months when trump was to be sworn in

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The very first skirmish the Shia people had with the army was during GEJ's regime, when the army killed 2 of zakzaky's sons during one of their parades in Zaria. That was the grudge they held on to and decided to block the current army chief's convoy.

IPOB I honestly don't know about, I also condemn the killing of any group of people by the state, but really what does trump have to do with their struggle?

What my understanding of open discourse is that of voicing out public opinion/criticism peacefully through various media, I see that a lot on the news, and no one has been persecuted for it as far as I know.

Now I don't know why the Nigerian security forces shoot to kill protesters, but keep in mind that any protest no matter how peaceful has a tendency of flaring up. No where in the world are protests held, and there isn't a large turnout of security. Which begs a question of how peaceful are these protests really?

BBOG has never lost a member during protests.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts