SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
The very first skirmish the Shia people had with the army was during GEJ's regime, when the army killed 2 of zakzaky's sons during one of their parades in Zaria. That was the grudge they held on to and decided to block the current army chief's convoy.

IPOB I honestly don't know about, I also condemn the killing of any group of people by the state, but really what does trump have to do with their struggle?

What my understanding of open discourse is that of voicing out public opinion/criticism peacefully through various media, I see that a lot on the news, and no one has been persecuted for it as far as I know.

Now I don't know why the Nigerian security forces shoot to kill protesters, but keep in mind that any protest no matter how peaceful has a tendency of flaring up. No where in the world are protests held, and there isn't a large turnout of security. Which begs a question of how peaceful are these protests really?

BBOG has never lost a member during protests.
can you provide a source on GEJ's attack on the Shia. thats new to me.

im not going to catalogue the violations by these regime, but its extreme. is the worse since the return of democracy. these excuses that the trump protest wasnt wise, or that the securty forces had to be provided to these protests are excuses that allow the state to murder. most of the violence we see, maybe even all of it, has come from the state and not the protesters.

bloggers, opposition critics, protesters and more have been thoroughly intimidated. and this is not even when elections have started. wait till his opponents have been picked then you'll see war. anyway he may die in whatever hospital he is in and end this nightmare

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/165579-update-sheikh-zakzakys-son-10-others-killed-in-nigerian-troops-shiite-muslims-clash.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/how-soldiers-killed-my-three-sons-32-followers-by-el-zakzaky/

^^

Happened in July 2014.

You wishing the president death, is an obvious indication that I need not press further on this discussion. I just hope you know that even if he dies today, Nigeria's problems will still be far from over, and that there are still more people being killed in the south east by non state actors on a regular basis. Doesn't that also bother you?

·
Registered
974 Posts
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/165579-update-sheikh-zakzakys-son-10-others-killed-in-nigerian-troops-shiite-muslims-clash.html

http://thenationonlineng.net/how-soldiers-killed-my-three-sons-32-followers-by-el-zakzaky/

^^

Happened in July 2014.

You wishing the president death, is an obvious indication that I need not press further on this discussion. I just hope you know that even if he dies today, Nigeria's problems will still be far from over, and that there are still more people being killed in the south east by non state actors on a regular basis. Doesn't that also bother you?
Which 'non state actors' are killing on a regular basis in the south east?

Are these numbers greater than those being slaughtered by 'non state actors' elsewhere in Nigeria?

·
Registered
974 Posts
You made your assertion from one article pertaining to one killing when there have been daily reports of mass killings by Boko Haram and the people identified as 'herdsmen' for years?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Oh God, I wasn't even making comparisons. You know pretty well there's a lot of killing going on there. If I have time I can pull out news links for every month for you. Not even trying to start an argument please.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts

^^

Happened in July 2014.

whatever, i didn't wish him death. Whether he dies or not is not up to me. I actually would like him to continue so he's totally discredited and the entire bigoted campaign he ran is destroyed as a method to gain power but I'm sure even then supporters like you will make excuses for him. As far as you're concerned there is no stifling of speech and everything is cool in nigeria

Didn't hear about this killing but it doesn't change the general direction of both administrations. This was one incident, and didn't characterize how the administration responded to citizens. In fact in the articles they apologize for the killings and set up an inquiry while today people people justify the killings because someone touched a soldiers chest

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
^^ I'm not a supporter of the current administration, neither did I support the last one. I actually care less about politics, and try to view things from every perspective. Most of all, I wish my country progress, regardless of who is presiding over its affairs.

·
Registered
974 Posts
^^ The recent elections in Nigeria, the US and the referendum in the UK show how irresponsible and naive it is to try and be 'apolitical'.

If you care about your environment you cannot sit on the sideline and allow lesser beings (such as Buhari) destroy the few gains that were made.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
you're just upset for nothing. you're supposedly equally upset at all thieves but only criticism certain ones :lol: first, some criticisms are unique in nigeria. GEJ allowed for open discourse about his admin and that right being dead under Buhari is one. even OBJ was better about it. killings too? What killings were there under GEJ? what group was targeted like we have had in this regime?

But this argument here, about stealing and praising shitty leaders, is not unique to any region so im confused as to why you been directing your ire at the niger delta and 'unearned' money? Abacha has even been praised by Buhari and his kin continue to operate in the corridors of power. people still kiss IBB's behind. you're making an ethnic argument to a broad nigerian problem. you're just parroting the argument many nigerians make that the niger delta doesnt deserve any of the money that comes from their region, so you exaggerate corruption in those region to say, look they arent poor because of our unfair treamtent, but its because their leaders are so horrible. and that the money does no good because they are the the 'poorest" region. which is why you tried to say the region was the poorest in the south when it isnt. though the SW is the richest, i bet its only so because Lagos skews the results. your argument is used by other oppressors. nothing new
Criticizing Niger Delta 'leaders' in a thread SOLELY about the Niger Delta - what a totally foreign concept. :nuts:

Where else will I take this radical concept? Criticize Mr. Buhari in a thread about the Buhari administration (or the 2015 elections)? Criticize Northern 'leaders' in a thread about Almajiri? Criticize Mr. Rochas or Mr. Chime in a thread about theirs states? Dude, your repeated (and frankly childish) ETHNIC BAITING will not lead me to LOWER my standards as you do yours. [email protected] :eek:hno:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
But this argument here, about stealing and praising shitty leaders, is not unique to any region so im confused as to why you been directing your ire at the niger delta and 'unearned' money? Abacha has even been praised by Buhari and his kin continue to operate in the corridors of power. people still kiss IBB's behind. you're making an ethnic argument to a broad nigerian problem. you're just parroting the argument many nigerians make that the niger delta doesnt deserve any of the money that comes from their region, so you exaggerate corruption in those region to say, look they arent poor because of our unfair treamtent, but its because their leaders are so horrible. and that the money does no good because they are the the 'poorest" region. which is why you tried to say the region was the poorest in the south when it isnt. though the SW is the richest, i bet its only so because Lagos skews the results. your argument is used by other oppressors. nothing new
Said the PEOPLE got poorer (emphasis original), not the region. By way of analogy, Nigeria grew by 6-7% per year for over a decade while simultaneously the poverty rate soared (my skepticism for Nigerian data notwithstanding)! :bash:

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Criticizing Niger Delta 'leaders' in a thread SOLELY about the Niger Delta - what a totally foreign concept. :nuts:

Where else will I take this radical concept? Criticize Mr. Buhari in a thread about the Buhari administration (or the 2015 elections)? Criticize Northern 'leaders' in a thread about Almajiri? Criticize Mr. Rochas or Mr. Chime in a thread about theirs states? Dude, your repeated (and frankly childish) ETHNIC BAITING will not lead me to LOWER my standards as you do yours. [email protected] :eek:hno:
the thread is about nigeria in global statistic

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
the thread is about nigeria in global statistic
My bad - but the discussion between us is SOLELY about the Niger Delta - nothing to do with "global statistics"!

Nonetheless, global statistics does not exist in isolation. It is largely the result of the actions (or inaction) of 'leaders'!

·
Villeurbanne
4,235 Posts
World countries + USA states ranked by nominal gdp.
Look at how fast nigeria navigate this chart. This is quite impressive.

https://youtu.be/4RkrA7xDXbw

2014 was the peak and the downfall year for nigeria. It's nominal gdp was double of today's gdp.

It is interesting to see that the years following 2008 crisis were the best recorded in Nigeria and that the years after 2014 (when the northern hemisphere was recovering from the crisis) were the worse ever recorded in term of downfall...

The next "global" crisis may be approaching... It may be beneficial to nigeria after all. I hope this time your leaders won't miss the opportunity to massively invest in public infrastructures and focus on panafrican trade...

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
apparently Nigeria was a top 20 economy in 1980-83 then Buhari came in and the rest is history. Same happened in 2014. A wild “coincidence.” Coupled with the amount of time the guy spends in London a conspiracy theorist would be tempted to say he’s an agent of foreign powers. Or just incredible lucky and just as incompetent.

Anyway Nigeria’s growth has nothing to do with a weak global economy. It grew faster from 99-2008. The leadership was better. Currently the rulers are not capable in the least. Weve lost 4 years and will lose another 4. Close to a decade.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
^^ The video stopped at 2018, vfg said "today". It is currently the end of 2019 and the figures have considerably increased. $450 billion in 2019 and projected to be $495 billion in 2020.

Also, the video's 2018 figures stopped at $397 billion (essentially $400 billion). That is still far from being half of $560 billion.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
^^ The video stopped at 2018, vfg said "today". It is currently the end of 2019 and the figures have considerably increased. $450 billion in 2019 and projected to be $495 billion in 2020.

Also, the video's 2018 figures stopped at $397 billion (essentially $400 billion). That is still far from being half of $560 billion.
i agree its an exaggeration no doubt. either way a soft global economy doesnt help nigeria from any evidence ive seen

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Most Nigerian "statistics" are guesstimates.

The overwhelming majority informal economic activity that is witnessed on virtually every street in Nigeria is NOT captured in any reliable (not in fact meaningful) manner. Furthermore, if I grow yams in my backyard and sell same to my neighbours or local community (or even consume same), exactly how does the devaluation of the Naira against the US dollar affect the "size" (and thus the output) of that economic activity (and thus the size of the GDP)?

241 - 260 of 262 Posts