Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I have been asking for.

I know some people will be thinking is this Nigerian being arrogant again or what exactly is this all about. But although many Africans refuse to acknowledge it. Nigeria has invested billions of dollars in African countries voluntarily in assistance. This has been mostly in West Africa, but there have also been assistance outside the region.

The only two countries I would urge Nigeria to invest in in terms of assistance are Liberia and Sierra Leone. These are two countries that are actually acknowledge the assistance and two of the only African countries in the continent with gratitude. And even then, I think perhaps it is time we stop assistance altogether.

Until we reach a certain level of economic prosperity, we cannot continue assisting other African countries, such as Niger, Chad, Liberia, Sierra Leone etc.

We didn't send troops to Somalia, because the scenario was simply not right. You know. It has come to that stage where we can no longer put others before ourselves whether it be through human resources or capital resources.

I think it is time for other African countries like Algeria, Libya and South Africa to take the baton. As a % of GDP, Nigeria has assisted more and perhaps even in absolute terms

Nigeria no longer big brother, says Economic Council

By Elizabeth Archibong

October 28, 2010 02:29AM

The National Economic Council has taken a decision that Nigeria will no longer play big brother to countries in trouble without getting anything in return, insisting the nation’s foreign interventions and assistance will be guided by national interest.

Briefing journalists on Tuesday after the council meeting chaired by vice president, Namadi *****, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State said while Nigeria remains a responsible member of the community of nations, she will insist on getting development benefits in return for her foreign policy commitments.

“The Council reiterated the foreign policy objective of the country as a new partnership for the development of Nigeria. In other words, we are going to shed that belief that we are big brother where we go to help other people and we never get something in return.

“So, wherever we go or whoever we relate with, must be because it will help us develop, rather than, as we normally say, that we have gone to help these or that people without getting anything in return,” said Mr. Aliyu.

The council also discussed Nigeria’s BB-rating by international economy assessment organisation, Fitch, saying that though it was a downward result, there is hope that the country is moving on the path of addressing the concerns that led to such assessment in the first place.

“Fitch rating too harsh”

Segun Aganga, the finance minister, noted that though the rating was “harsh”, it acknowledged Nigeria’s decision to set up a Sovereign Wealth Fund, and a good fiscal policy which will increase the country’s rating during the next assessment.

“We discussed the rationale for the revision of the outlook (from stable to negligible) and did not fully agree with their rationale; we believe that it was harsh.

“But we welcome the fact that they affirmed the credit rating that nothing has changed and the main reason for that re-affirmation or confirmation of that credit rating was that Fitch felt that the idea that set up the sovereign wealth fund was in the best interest of the country.

“It is a good fiscal policy and they have indicated that they will issue a positive statement once the sovereign wealth fund bill was passed,” he said.

The minister further stated that government welcomed Fitch’s affirmation that the country has a very strong balance sheet, has a less debt ratio compared to her peers anywhere in the world, and has net petrol balance.

He disclosed that the final draft of the Sovereign Wealth Fund bill will be adopted at the next economic council meeting on November 4, before it is submitted to the National Assembly.

Governor Raji Fashola of Lagos State also said they discussed the concerns regarding the legality of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) in printing licence plates for vehicles.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Ne...72-147/nigeria_no_longer_big_brother_says.csp

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
Why on earth has Nigeria been giving assistance to other countries? :|

I forgot that Ethiopian proverb about putting your nose in your neighbor's business while your own house is on fire. :eek:hno:

·
PAN AFRICAN
3,127 Posts
In My Opinion, We should suspend most of this external development programmes and focus on the development of Nigeria. You can't be giving when you are actually lacking.

We should drastically if not totally give up Peace Keepings, (Oil)credit lines being offered to Ecowas Nations be withdrawn. Its not about whether the recipient countries acknowledge or appreciate the gesture but we simply cant afford it anymore.

As for Liberia and Sierra Leone....we should try and reduce aids to the barest minimum. I know they need the aids but they should understand especially now that things are picking up in these countries

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why on earth has Nigeria been giving assistance to other countries? :|

I forgot that Ethiopian proverb about putting your nose in your neighbor's business while your own house is on fire. :eek:hno:
As surprising as this may be to many Africans. Things are/were much worse in many of the countries that assistance was given to.

We had bloody civil wars etc, famine etc that we assisted in curtailing or mitigating.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Big brother helps is young brother.

Butembo. For the last time, billions of dollars invested is n o child's play.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
A Big brother helps is young brother.

Butembo. For the last time, billions of dollars invested is n o child's play.
Well, helping others isn't exclusive to Nigeria, others did spend lots of money as well, as well as sacrifice thousands of lives, but they don't sing about it or call oneself big brother.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nigeria has invested more capital and human resources in assistance than larger economies like South Africa.

You might say it aint so, but it won't stop it from being so.

I have been been doing this research for years.

I seriously don't think you understand the scale.

Go to West Africa and they will use the term Big Brother, we don't tell them to say it.

Some countries invest in their military and they don't do anything with it. Nigeria invests in the military and uses it to save lives.

·
PAN AFRICAN
3,127 Posts
Another trouble brewing!

Like I said earlier. Nigeria should stop whatever kind of help they are rendering to other countries, be it militarily or Financially or otherwise and clean up and fix her house. There is no point arguing here and it is worthy of note that the biggest African Donors To African Countries are South Africa and Nigeria. It is only the western Nations that actually sing praises of themselves when they give out Aid to African or "Third-World" Countries.

I dont think Nigeria was singing about or self glorifying themselves for this. The statement was made at a press conference made After the National Economic Council meeting.

Some weeks ago at the UN meeting, President Jonathan told the UN Council that Nigeria had already spent at least $10billion in peace keeping efforts on the continent and that he may or may not send any more troops out until certain working conditions were met. And I strongly support that. I dont want Nigeria to send out more troops or give more aid until we put our house in order.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Nigeria has invested more capital and human resources in assistance than larger economies like South Africa.

I have been been doing this research for years. [/quote]

South Africa might no have assisted in conflicts it 16 years democratic era. But it economic investment is undeniable. throughout a large part of SS Africa. Not to mention that they host millions of other African citizens on their soil.

Go to West Africa and they will use the term Big Brother, we don't tell them to say it.

Some countries invest in their military and they don't do anything with it. Nigeria invests in the military and uses it to save lives.
Then that must be a West African slogan (Sorry for misunderstanding).

Well Angola, Namibia, Zimbabwe helped DRC when it was in trouble, they spend billions , they sacrificed thousands of lives. But no single Zimbabwe or Namibian or Angolan make a big deal about it. Nor do they say that they are DRC's big brothers.

DRC (as Zaire )spent lots of money and lost thousands of lives for Angola's struggle for independence. Do Santos and some of his compadres went to school in Kinshasa before they went to the Soviet Union for higher education. It helped Chadians against Guaddafi's mad Lybia. It helped Rwanda many times(Only to stop because Zaire was already into flames).

Tanzania has the base for anti-Aparthied activities, Tanzania single handedly got rid of Idi Amin and installed Museveni, It was the base for Zimbabwean freedom frighters, it was the base for Mozambique's fighters. It sent lots of helps to Angola, it sent help to Namibia.

Mozambique and Zambia
got their countries bombed (do you know many lives were lost?) for supporting SA and Zimbabwe liberations .

Ethiopia and Morocco
helped DRC back in the 1960s. We even have things such as Markets after Ethiopia (such as Gambela neighborhood, Avenues, Ethiopia market etc..).

But I never heard a single Ethiopia or Moroccan make big deal about , nor mention the help

But no one calls themselves big brother or ask any loyalties because he helped the other.

The way things work in our neighborhood, we just don't for applaudes . You help, the helped says thanks , life goes on.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts

I have been been doing this research for years.

Are you for real?

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Like I said earlier. Nigeria should stop whatever kind of help they are rendering to other countries, be it militarily or Financially or otherwise and clean up and fix her house. There is no point arguing here and it is worthy of note that the biggest African Donors To African Countries are South Africa and Nigeria. It is only the western Nations that actually sing praises of themselves when they give out Aid to African or "Third-World" Countries.
Really? Third world countries are now biggest Donnors to third world countries?

What do you donate? Peacekeeping donations?

I dont think Nigeria was singing about or self glorifying themselves for this. The statement was made at a press conference made After the National Economic Council meeting.

Some weeks ago at the UN meeting, President Jonathan told the UN Council that Nigeria had already spent at least $10billion in peace keeping efforts on the continent and that he may or may not send any more troops out until certain working conditions were met. And I strongly support that. I dont want Nigeria to send out more troops or give more aid until we put our house in order.
Other countries can claim samething about spending billions+ 1000s of lost lives.

What make Nigeria's case so special?

·
Nigeria Rules!
1,662 Posts
Nigeria should indeed cut all foreign loans, aid, military support, import subsidies etc to other countries. Most Nigerians don't care. Good to see the leaders finally thinking. The country does too much and receives too much hate for it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts