Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

PDP’s board of trustees rejects Sheriff as chairman

The Board of Trustees of the PDP rose from a meeting in Abuja yesterday night stating that it had rejected Sheriff as national chairman of the party.

Addressing journalists shortly after the meeting, the BoT led by its acting chairman, Senator Walid Jibril, ‎said in a paragraph statement: “The Board of Trustees of the PDP is of the view that Ali Modu Sheriff is not suitable as national chairman of the PDP. We have proposed viable solutions which will be deliberated upon tonight. We are going for another meeting.”

In attendance at the meeting were former Information Minister, Prof. Jerry Gana, erstwhile Senate President Adolphus Wabara, ex- Deputy Senate President, Ibrahim Mantua, former PDP national chairman, Senator Ahmadu Alli, Inna Ciroma, among others.

Sheriff said that he did not know when his tenure as chairman would end. He noted that he would only reveal his agenda when he had been briefed on the status of the party including its finances‎.

“I will unfold the agenda of this party to everybody as soon as other members of the National Working Committee, particularly the National Treasurer and the National Secretary brief me fully on the status of the party. I will let Nigerians know where we are going and what we intend to do,” he said.

And in Ekiti State, Governor Ayodele Fayose, Sheriff has found a strong ally, with the former saying: “His emergence at this time is the best thing in the present circumstance. Those who are aggrieved should sheathe their sword and deploy their time and resources into fighting the All Progressives Congress (APC) instead of their own party.”

Addressing a press conference after a brief handover where he formally took over the affairs of the party, Sheriff also denied links with the Boko Haram terrorist group.

Answering questions on the inadequacy of time to carry out the task of rebuilding the party, the new PDP boss explained that his tenure was not yet known to him, ‎adding that only PDP leaders would decide on that later.

“I took over this party today. I am here as a national chairman of this party by the grace of all the National Executive Committee (NEC) members of the party. I am here to rebuild the party.

“What time we need to do this job will be determined by the leaders and owners of the party when they sit down collectively to discuss. For me, taking over office today, I cannot tell you when I am leaving. I will only tell you when the party leaders sit down and see what is the immediate time to do this job. If they decide, I am ready for it.”

Sheriff who expressed dismay over calls for his resignation by a former governor of defunct Gongola State, Amb. Wilberforce Juta, stated that having contested the PDP chairmanship election with him and lost, Juta had no moral right to ask for his resignation.

“I saw the person who was reading the press statement, Ambassador Wilberforce Juta. He submitted himself to the National Working Committee of this party, aspiring to be a chairman. Wakil that you saw on the television also submitted himself to the Working Committee to be appointed chairman and votes had been cast.

“The man that was reading the press statement got one vote and he’s asking me to resign. I will not resign.

“The leadership of this party, in their wisdom asked me to lead. If the NEC of this party collectively asks me to leave, I will leave, but not somebody who contested an election and got one vote.

“I think if there is morality, he should not even go on television. In this country, people are allowed to say what they want. You want something, you got into the party, the party has submitted your name. In the midst of everybody, you got one vote and you go outside and ask the chairman to resign. My brother, where is the credibility? Where is the justice? I would have listened to him better if he did not aspire to be one.

“Therefore, I do not plan to resign, I will not resign.

I will reposition this party and take it to election within a time frame decided by the leaders to conduct a credible, effective congress that will stand the test of time.”

On his alleged links with Boko Haram, Sheriff said no authority in this country had ever accused him of having links with the terrorist group. Visibly annoyed over reports linking him with the terrorist group, Sheriff specifically declared that former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, “would not go scot-free” for allegedly creating the impression to the public that he, Sheriff sponsored Boko Haram.

He also declared that he never regretted leaving the All Progressives Congress (APC) which he said he played a significant role in forming.

However, Sheriff begged all aggrieved party members to drop their grievances and join him in the task of rebuilding the party.

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Fayose said: “It is regrettable that those who abandoned the PDP to its fate when it lost power and did not say a word to defend the party have now found their voices against a decision taken in accordance with the party’s constitution.”

The governor who reiterated his commitment to the party, said: “With my antecedent as someone who has always defended the party, I can’t be linked with any decision that will not be in the best interest of the party. I therefore call on all my admirers and believers in my dogged fight for the revival of our party to support our new chairman, whom I believe has the required capacity to reposition the party.”

He described those linking the new chairman to the Boko Haram insurgents as mischief makers, asking: “Has Ali Modu Sheriff been tried and convicted by any court for sponsoring Boko Haram? Has he been tried for involvement in Boko Haram activities?

“Even APC Senator Ali Ndume is being tried for allegedly making contacts with the Boko Haram sect 73 times and he is still the Senate Leader.

“Also, Ali Modu Sheriff and their ‘Saint Buhari’ are in-laws courtesy of Sheriff’’s son’s marriage to Buhari’s daughter and no one has called the President a Boko Haram sponsor by association. Or are they also saying President Buhari could have allowed his own daughter to marry the son of Ali Modu Sheriff if he was indeed a Boko Haram sponsor?”

While describing Sheriff ’s emergence as constitutional, Fayose said stakeholders like the NWC , governors, senators, House of Representatives members, and Board of Trustees members took part in the processes that produced the new chairman.

He said the party could only be repositioned when decisions of party leaders were respected just as he called on those aggrieved with the emergence of the new chairman to be mindful of the supremacy of the party over and above other interests.

The governor reminded members and supporters of the PDP that “the party is in a peculiar situation and we need people who can stand up against these devourers of our collective heritage. I can say confidently that Senator Ali Modu Sheriff is such a person and in the collective interest of our party, we should all rally round him.”
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2016/02/pdps-board-of-trustees-rejects-sheriff-as-chairman/

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why pick him if no one wants him to be leader? His background is too dirty and a distraction.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
Why we must restructure Nigeria, by Atiku Abubakar

• Ex-VP says Buhari yet to learn from the past on farmers, herdsmen clash
• Leader wants NNPC sold to end N’Delta crisis

Former Vice President and chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Atiku Abubakar, yesterday called for the restructuring of the country.

At a public presentation of a book entitled We Are All Biafrans by Chido Onumah in Abuja, Atiku said his call was based on ongoing allegations of marginalisation by some Nigerians.

According to Atiku, the structure of the country is heavily defective as it does not provide the enabling environment for growth and progress among the 36 component states of the federation.

The former vice president who spoke against the backdrop of renewed agitations by militants in the oil-rich Niger Delta and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) recalled how Nigeria once operated a federal system at independence that allowed the regions to retain their autonomy, raise and retain revenues, promote development, and conduct their affairs as they saw fit, while engaging in healthy competition with others.

He said: “Agitations by many right-thinking Nigerians call for a restructuring and renewal of our federation to make it less centralised, less suffocating and less dictatorial in the affairs of our country’s constituent units and localities.
“As some of you may know, I have for a long time advocated the need to restructure our federation. Our current structure and the practices it has encouraged have been a major impediment to the economic and political development of our country. In short it has not served Nigeria well, and at the risk of reproach it has not served my part of the country, the North, well.
“The call for restructuring is even more relevant today in light of the governance and economic challenges facing us. And the rising tide of agitations, some militant and violent, require a reset in our relationships as a united nation.”

Atiku who chaired the occasion noted: “Some may say that we are saddled with more urgent challenges, including rebuilding our battered economy, creating jobs, fighting corruption and securing our people from terrorism and other forms of serious crimes. I believe, however, that addressing the flaws in our federation will help us address some of those very economic and security challenges facing this country.
“Nigeria must remain a united country. Our potential is enormous. But I also believe that a united country, which I think most Nigerians desire, should never be taken for granted or taken as evidence that Nigerians are content with the current structure of the federation.

“Making that mistake might set us on the path of losing the country we love or, as Chido Onumah puts it, result in our ‘country sleepwalking to disaster.’”

He continued: “Let me quickly acknowledge that no federal system is set for all time. There are always tensions arising from matters relating to the sharing of power, resources and responsibilities. But established democracies have developed peaceful mechanisms for resolving such conflicts among the tiers of government. They recognise that negotiations and compromises are eternal.”

Blaming over-dependence on oil for the rot in the polity, he canvassed the devolution of powers and resources to states and local governments, a tax-centred revenue base, diversified economic activities and productivity in order to enlarge the tax base, an end to the indigene-settler dichotomy, and state police to augment the federal police for the states that so desire that system.

He thereby urged well-meaning Nigerians to refrain from assuming that anyone calling for the restructuring of the federation is working for the breakup of the country.

“An excessively powerful centre does not equate national unity. If anything, it has made our unity more fragile, our government more unstable and our country more unsafe . We must renegotiate our union in order to make it stronger. Greater autonomy, power and resources for states and local authorities will give the federating units greater freedom and flexibility to address local issues, priorities and peculiarities.

“ It will help to unleash our people’s creative energies and spur more development. It will reduce the premium placed on capturing power at the centre. It will help with improving security. It will promote healthy rivalries among the federating units and local authorities. It will help make us richer and stronger as a nation.”

Atiku who fielded questions on the multifaceted problems besetting the polity advised the authorities to use the “carrot and stick “approach to resolve the problems associated with militants in the Niger Delta region.

Recalling how he came up with the master plan for the development of the Niger Delta, he disclosed that he was the brain behind the establishment of the Niger Delta Ministry, wondering why the ministry was sited in Abuja as against the original intent of siting it in the Niger Delta to be able to address the developmental needs of the oil-rich region.

Atiku also enjoined the authorities to privatise the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and set aside no less than $20 billion to address the developmental needs of the Niger Delta region.

Regretting that Nigeria had the misfortune of ending up with “accidental leadership,” he expressed the hope that the country would get the right leadership in due course.

He expressing dissatisfaction with President Muhammadu Buhari over the spate of the farmers-herders clashes in the polity saying: “We have a leader who is not prepared to learn from the past.”

Atiku who recollected how he lost 300 cows to cattle rustlers from neighbouring Cameroun said: “Again, here we come back to the same economic challenges that are facing the country but we also have a leadership that is not prepared to learn from the past and the leadership that is not prepared to lead.”

He, however, gave Buhari a pass mark over his performance in tackling the Boko Haram insurgency, and on the ant-graft campaign just as he maintained that Buhari needs more time to fix the comatose economy.

He insisted that as long as the problems of insecurity in the Niger Delta persist, Nigeria would not be able to tackle the problem of power supply since it remains dependent on the supply of gas.

Recalling the Philippines experience, he insists that the viable solution to the power problem remains the establishment of captive power stations dependent on hydro, coal and other sources of energy supply.

Rest in the link http://m.guardian.ng/news/why-we-must-restructure-nigeria-by-atiku-abubakar/

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
I think Buhari will die soon and Atiku knows it so he's open about his candidacy. However with a VP I'm not sure what plan the fulsni elite have up their sleeves

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think Buhari will die soon and Atiku knows it so he's open about his candidacy. However with a VP I'm not sure what plan the fulsni elite have up their sleeves
May be Osibanjo will step down to pave the way for Atiku. They are all time wasters:bash::eek:hno:

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
Buhari is shutting down the businesses and bank accounts of enemies. Fayose's accounts are frozen, Linda Ikeji wanted for 'tax evasion' and there has been a government take over (forced) of Ben Bruce's assets.

Very sickening shit.

·
I'm The King
6,724 Posts
No surprise, I don't know what people expected from a Buhari-led Nigeria, but I predicted a total collapse of the Nigerian state if Buhari were to win the elections; let's hope that I'm wrong.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
No surprise, I don't know what people expected from a Buhari-led Nigeria, but I predicted a total collapse of the Nigerian state if Buhari were to win the elections; let's hope that I'm wrong.
Being right wouldn't necessarily be a tragedy. But I think the best we can get out of it is some reform in our we pick our leaders

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
APC wins Imo rerun election

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has declared Mr Ben Uwajumogu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) winner of Imo North Senatorial District rerun election held on July 28.

Uwajumogu scored 56,076 votes to defeat Mr Athan Achonu of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who scored 43, 815 votes.

Prof. Arinze Agbogu, the INEC Returning Officer for Imo North Senatorial District, who announced the result in the early hours of Friday, said the outcome was a summation of scores of July 23 and that of July 28 exercise.

Uwajumogu, had scored 48,921 on July 23, while Achonu, of the PDP, scored 40, 142 votes which made INEC to declare the rerun inconclusive.

Agbogu said that available data before him showed that Uwajumogu had majority of lawful votes cast, and therefore returned elected for the Imo North Senatorial District.

Similarly, INEC declared Mr Nkenna Nzeruo of the APC winner of Oru East State Constituency, while Mr Collins Chiji also of APC was declared winner for Isiala Mbano State Constituency.

The two state constituencies’ elections were equally declared inconclusive due to reported cases of violence that marred the exercise in some communities in the two areas on July 23.

Uwajumogu told journalists in Owerri that he was highly elated over the victory, adding “my gratitude goes more to Gov. Rochas Okorocha whose structure helped me to win this senatorial election’’.

http://punchng.com/apc-wins-imo-rerun-election/

Why does APC keep winning in Imo state. Portends serious rigging for upcoming elections

·
Registered
27,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The governor is APC so it wouldn't be that shocking that some lower ticket races reflect that.

My worry is that since Buhari has been in office every single election run has been largely inconclusive. No election in ant state has been straightforward, which does not bode well for 2019.

And then there is the abuse of the legal system by every politician especially APC who if they don't win at the ballot box want to bully their way in. If there is a legitimate case of fraud (which being Nigeria lord knows its possible ) then yes go to court. But if the tally was relatively fair, why tie up the already underfunded court system with a parade of lawyers only wasting everyone's time on nonsense.

This election coming up has all the makings of a violent one :coffee:

21 - 40 of 85 Posts