Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been spending a lot of time at Niagara Falls over the past few days, and here are some of the shots I've gotten. A few are more "touristy" than I like, but I'm actually happy with how the night shots turned out, and I had fun exploring the area. I even braved three of my phobias... but more on that later.

The upper rapids, and the bridge connecting Niagara Falls with Goat Island. The skyline of Niagara Falls, Ontario is in the distance.

The rapids, favored hangout of seagulls from miles around.

The United Building, no longer top dog in the American skyline but still a lovely tower.

The American Falls.

I like this view because you can almost imagine what it was like when the area was wilderness. Of course, the geology was a lot different when the Falls was discovered by Europeans, because it was receding at about 3 feet each year. Now that it has reached harder rock and with the reduced water flow, the American Falls recedes about a foot every ten years.

Ok, phobia number one: bridges. I'm not scared of heights and I'm not scared of water, but I'm scared of bridges. But then I remembered how everyone here on SkyscraperCity was depending on me for photos, so I took a deep breath and walked across the Rainbow Bridge.

Ok, actually first I walked under it.

Looking over the side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Observation tower and Niagara Falls from the Rainbow Bridge.

I'd rather not speculate on what this is.

Looking ahead toward Canada, which is my second phobia. Not Canada itself, but rather leaving the country. A psychic told me I'd die in a foreign country and I don't even believe in psychics, but still every time I'm near Canada I can't help but be a little nervous. This can be a problem since I can basically see Canada from my house.

I passed the international line but I count the customs office as the real border, so technically I'm still ten feet outside and about thirty feet above Canada. Here's the view toward Niagara Falls.

From the same spot looking back over the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara Falls, New York.

Back in the USA, and heading toward Prospect Point.

Prospect Point, waiting for the sun to set.

Cave of the Winds people. I went on the Cave of the Winds tour back in the 90s and after the guide gave her lecture I called out "when are we going to see the basement?" and absolutely nobody laughed.

And then it was night in Niagara Falls.

Night falls like a grand piano.

I sort of can't stand the Skylon, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon so I may as well make my peace with it. Was it the same architects as HSBC Tower? Were they the go-to people for ugly concrete things that dominate a skyline for decades?

Another phobia for those of you counting: people.

The rapids, the light coming across the gorge to illuminate the Falls, and Canada in the background.

More of the rapids.

One last shot of the United Building on my way back to the car.

Quiet please, there are leaves falling
Trees do a striptease, summer is over
I wonder why you look so far away
Against the sky in fifty shades of grey

Night falls like a grand piano

Thunder sings a requiem
Lightning is taking pictures
Of everything, of every point of view
Let's go outside and have our picture taken too

·
Mighty Mouse
1,315 Posts
Love the pics, very well done. I also share some of your "phobias as well" namely bridges and people (especially large groups of people) i just don't like people touching me, i'm deep like that. Anyways great pics!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts