Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new digital SLR soon, but need a bit of help deciding.

I think the main contenders are the Nikon D50 (coming out in June) or the Canon 350D. As far as I can see, the main difference that would affect me between these cameras is that the Canon can go down to 100 ISO (Nikon can only go to 200). I do like to take a lot of long-exposure night photos, so 100 would be nice, but I suppose it is still quite possible with 200 (please comment on this). I know the Canon also has 2 extra megapixels, but I don't need those. It also has a DOF Preview button, which would be nice, but alone does not justify the increase in price. The Canon has a smaller and lower resolution LCD screen, and is more expensive. I have to find out more info about the kit lens with the two cameras, can anyone compare the benefits-disadvantages of the kit lens with the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D?

Also to be considered is the Nikon D70s (coming out this month). Really the only thing that this camera has above the D50 (that is important to me) is a Night Landscape scene mode (but I suppose I can just set-up the D50 manually for these shots - comments please). It also has a shorter minimum exposure time - 1/8000 compared to the D50's 1/4000, but I don't take many fast-sports shots, so I suppose I would never use this (once again, comments please).

Thank you for any help/advice you can offer.

·
In Urbanity I Trust
16,704 Posts
Hi fluppet!
I own the D70 :D
Between both cameras, you are right in you speech. But for example, in night scenes there is no difference between 200 and 100 ISO, maybe just a litlle more exposure for Canon, but nothing that makes the difference, because noise in 200 is not heavy at all.
D70s is like the D70, but some small upgrades, in facts it will replace de D70. It has more buffer than D50 and a little more than 350D (speed saving the images).
Kit lenses, they are similar 18-55 mm but I think that maybe the D50 would have another kits a 18-55 and 55-200 or a 18-70. This lenses are better than the generic 18-55 of Canon. The nikon one use ED lenses, that produce images with less distorsion.
Also, it's important know that the Canon has a crop factor 1.6x and Nikon 1.5x. That means that your lenses of the kit would be 28.8-88 in canon and 27-82.5. If you want to shoot landscape and architecture 1,8 mm can make the difference ;)If you are planning to buy some lenses, and you think about third part manufacturers (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma...) don't worry because they make lenses for both cameras.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts