SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's an article from the LA Downtown News:
It's about a new housing development for students near USC and those opposed are mostly businesses or developers who fear competition. Excerpts below:

"...near USC, a new type of community opposition may be developing, one that some say involves more competition than everyday NIMBYism. Even stranger is the tactic: challenging a project in the middle of a bustling area on environmental grounds."
For the complete article click on this link:
http://ladowntownnews.com/articles/2006/05/08/news/news01.txt

I do not live in the area so I am ignorant of the residents' concerns about traffic, etc. but I think aesthetically, this is a great addition to the Exposition park area especially with the prospects of the Coliseum being re-devloped, the opening of the Galen Center nearby and of course the Expo Line. The Figueroa corridor has so much potential for renewal. Right now, it has a collection of ubiquitous fast food chains, car dealerships and rundown shacks. Isn't this project something that the local residents should welcome?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Why wasn't the Expo line mentioned as a traffic reliever?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly! and as I understand it, this project will mostly be for students, then all they have to do is walk to the campus, walk to Exposition Park and Galen Center! I wonder if there's an EIR already completed...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
can we have the mayor turn into a dictator and just buldoze all these peoples homes so that this city can progress into something... more usefull?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
klamedia said:
Why wasn't the Expo line mentioned as a traffic reliever?
^ I guess there more focus on the present time. Besides Isn't the Expo Line going to up and running by 2012 or so???

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
godblessbotox said:
can we have the mayor turn into a dictator and just buldoze all these peoples homes so that this city can progress into something... more usefull?
I was just thinking the same thing! We need Villaraigosa to turn into a Napolean or something, I mean he's short enough. These neighborhood councils have too much power!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts