SkyscraperCity banner

2961 - 2980 of 3026 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is there any news about the new Prizren-Tetovo road? There were talks about possibly building a new highway, and then just a normal expressroad etc..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is there any news about the new Prizren-Tetovo road? There were talks about possibly building a new highway, and then just a normal expressroad etc..
Last thing i know is that they would speak with the Albanian political parties to find the best solution.
This clearly say it all. A large tunnel under Shara Mountain isn't easy to build. I posted renders in one of my previous posts, and you can see the different variations.

Now when will they speak with the Albanian political parties, and what will be the outcome that i can't tell you because i don't know. Once i find any information, I'll share it here. But for now nothing.

Building such a project would of course have both positive and negative impacts. I can think for example, shortening the travel to Montenegro, so we don't have to drive all the way to Pristina then head towards Albania. With that tunnel, one could just go Skopje - Tetovo - Prizren and then head towards Albania, and off towards the Adriatic coast. Many possibilities indeed, but also this raises the question of whether such a tunnel will indeed be profitable, if there will be enough vehicles driving on it, and given that Shara Mountain has become a National Park, it will be much harder to do such a project through Shara Mountain. Let's not forget the eco - activists as well.

So to simplify it:
Nothing new, nothing special still the same old story.
Building such a tunnel would increase trade, and shorten distance to many cities and countries.
Most likely won't have enough traffic to justify building such a long tunnel.

·
Macedonia
46,603 Posts
Few photos of the construction works on the expressway Shtip-Kochani... According the media, "the section Krupishte - Kochani is expected to be opened by December".

"The first section of the expressway Stip - Radovish, on the other hand, has been realized over 90 percent and is expected to be opened for use before the deadline, by April or May this year."

·
Registered
424 Posts
So for the second section from Tri Cesmi all the way to Stip South regarding the Stip - Radovis Expressway, it will soon be closed to traffic and traffic will be re - routed through Stip.
This move has to be done, to ensure the remaining section gets expanded and built in high quality, and so that it can allow a free flow of construction vehicles as well.

·
Modulator
6,779 Posts
So for the second section from Tri Cesmi all the way to Stip South regarding the Stip - Radovis Expressway, it will soon be closed to traffic and traffic will be re - routed through Stip.
This move has to be done, to ensure the remaining section gets expanded and built in high quality, and so that it can allow a free flow of construction vehicles as well.
How long would this construction last? What alternative route will be used?

·
Registered
424 Posts
How long would this construction last? What alternative route will be used?
Around 3 - 4 months (not sure about this).
The alternative route is re - routing traffic through the city Štip. There's no other solution saddly. On the part from Bučim interchange all the way to Radoviš, there's already an old unpaved road, they are putting pavement there, and will build the remaining 1+1 local road that will be put in use. Infact traffic is already re - routed on parts of that unpaved road (as i said before), some few km before the Radoviš interchange and vehicles use the local road in Radoviš. However in the case of Štip, there's no local road from Štip West to Štip East interchange, and in this case they will have to go through Štip.
The mayor of Štip was against this decision, but there's nothing you can do in this case. It's either you keep that section open while works are going on, but then you will need to have a regime with traffic lights, and afterwards the quality of the road will be bad. This way, they will be able to freely work on reconstruction, renovation and expansion of that section. All they really need to do, is to make sure they finish it quick because of course that will increase the traffic through Štip, and cause traffic jams.
At the end of the day, Strabag is a serious company with good reputation, and I'm pretty sure they will do a great job, and finish that section as soon as possible.

·
Modulator
6,779 Posts
Around 3 - 4 months (not sure about this).
The alternative route is re - routing traffic through the city Štip. There's no other solution saddly.
So, they will close this entire segment:

And this will be the alternative(?):

Reactions: The Wild Boy

·
Registered
424 Posts
So, they will close this entire segment:

View attachment 1165804

And this will be the alternative(?):

View attachment 1165807
Yes.

When A4 was under construction, the previous government actually had plans for a motorway all the way to Štip South interchange, so something like an even outer bypass of Štip that would be a motorway, and it would've ran behind the sports airfield, then from there connect to the Štip South Interchange, and from there the express road from Štip to Radoviš would begin.
What really happened idk, but when the new government came the plans changed. I also looked at the study done for the Štip - Kočani express road, and on some images the Tri Češmi interchange is shown as a normal trumpet, but on some it's shown as how it was once intended to be.
And here's how it was supposed to look like:
dddl4hz.jpg
KMExesF.jpg

Saddly, we did not get that, so no other solutions now.

Maybe in the future if someone wants to, or if there's a need to do so, to build a motorway from Štip to Radoviš, then maybe Tri Češmi interchange can get upgraded. One thing they definitely did do is leave plenty of space for it to get upgraded as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Skopje - Blace Motorway:
9aKrdLih.jpeg.jpg
Y9H6Hvph.jpeg.jpg
1bXAWvYh.jpeg.jpg

Apparently asphalting has not begun yet on the 2km section. There can be seen an increase of bulldozers and trucks on the site, and the company working there (Granit) claims that everything is under procedure, and that that part will be finished on time..

I don't even need to mention that for around ~18km in not so hard terrain, it will take them 3 years. It's already clear what's going on here.

You can see how the motorway will actually end at the border point. It will be exactly like how it is in Tabanovce Border crossing.
Before the remaining section from Kumanovo to Tabanovce border was finished (iirc it got finished in 2012), the broader already had a motorway like road at the border itself. So all they had to do is expand the road before the border, and it was all motorway all the way to the border. They didn't have to realign anything, they just had to expand the existing road.
I'm pretty sure that that's how they will do it here as well. Given that there aren't any buildings or private properties in the way, also makes it easier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Will a new border crossing be built between MK and KS, or will they still be using the existing border ever after the highway is completed?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Will a new border crossing be built between MK and KS, or will they still be using the existing border ever after the highway is completed?
Judging by the images, as i said they will most likely use the existing border, and just build the motorway to the border.
Things could change tho. If Kosovo wants it's motorway to actually end at the border, and not the roundabout then a new border crossing will have to be built from both sides.
That would be, something like this:

But given that from their side, there's already a 2+2 road going to the border even after the roundabout, it does not seem to me like they will. On our side, we can upgrade that 1+1 road and turn it into a 2+2 or a 3+3 road going to the border.
Time will tell what will be the outcome tho.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The stone pit there seems to be working so it's a bit difficult - or expensive - to build a road there. And since there is already that 2x2 road on the Kosovar side, what's the need of doing that and building a new border crossing also? Especially since you have to slow down and stop so or so - this few meters more won't harm anybody. Different story of course, if in some distinct future there won't be any border checks no more - but then most likely the stone pit is also closed for long time already... ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, the quarry is active together with the cement factory that's connected to it. In the future the motorways could be connected directly at the current BCP though, no need for a new one. At this time the current connection works perfectly fine.
Yes. Like i said, the motorway from our side can perfectly end to the border, and they can widen that road, like how they have done on the Kosovo's side before the roundabout. Basically, it will be a 2+2 or a 3+3 boulevard like road.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So now the construction of a new motorway from the A2 at Skopje to the Kosovo border is underway? It's come a long way in places?

This will in fact be the first time that Kosovo's motorways will be connected to the continental motorway network.

When do you think this will be finished?

·
Registered
424 Posts
So now the construction of a new motorway from the A2 at Skopje to the Kosovo border is underway? It's come a long way in places?

This will in fact be the first time that Kosovo's motorways will be connected to the continental motorway network.

When do you think this will be finished?
Yes, one section is under construction. Despite how short this motorway is, it's divided into into several sections, and it's going to take at least 3 - 4 years for it to be finished. And we all know well why.

It could be finished 2023 - 2025

·
Registered
424 Posts
Surprising news!
Remaining parts of Corridor 8 to be finished by 2025:

The Deputy Prime Minister (Vice Prime Minister) has said (revealed) in an Albanian TV Channel that the Corridor 8 will be built by the company „Bechtel-ENKA“ and that the Entire Corridor 8 will be finished by 2025. Yes you read that right.
That is the same company that built the Pristina - Blace motorway.

So as they say, this includes:
Entire motorway from Tetovo to Kicevo, more specifically new route from Tetovo to Gostivar, a completely new motorway from Gostivar to Kicevo, and one part from Struga to the border with Albania. They mention that the whole corridor 8, but Trebenishta - Struga motorway is not mentioned so that is not the whole corridor 8 completed by 2025. Unless they made a mistake, but i highly doubt it given the issues with UNESCO regarding that section. But things have changed, and UNESCO is open for discussion and actually wants to resolve that problem, so that that motorway could get a green light to be built in the future.

Here's the Video, they speak in Albanian so maybe the forum friends from Kosovo /Albabania here can do a better translation and give their own opinions:

And here's an article in both Macedonian and Albanian:

They say that the remaining parts of corridor 8 will be finished in a "Key in Hand" principle. I do not really understand what they mean by that, but i guess that that company will just build the motorways and other companies will do the rest.

If you personally ask me, I'll tell you this:
Don't believe everything that comes out from the mouths of Albanian politicians. They can say everything they want, but the reality is otherwise different. I highly doubt of almost entire corridor 8 (minus Trebenishta - Struga motorway) being finished by 2025. Given that only Kicevo - Ohrid is taking 9 years to be finished already... or this could be their "sorry" for hugely delaying the Ohrid - Kicevo motorway, who knows
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
Don't believe everything that comes out from the mouths of Albanian politicians.
Well, that's quite the statement you've got there. Is this also true for Macedonian politicians or is it exclusive to Albanian politicians?

Reactions: Cerko64
2961 - 2980 of 3026 Posts