Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
No 1 Deansgate | 62m | 17 floors

At the time of it's completion (2002), the UK's tallest all-steel residential building and the first in Manchester to 'reportedly' house a £2m property on the duplex 16th and 17th floors. Constructed at the same time as the worlds largest Marks and Spencer's store, it is one of the original regeneration projects following the IRA bombing that devastated the Shambles. Designed by Ian Simpson.

Supplementary information provided by skyhigh247 ( thank you :) )

There were 8 penthouses, 4 duplex (2-storey) penthouses and 4 triplex (3-storey) penthouses. These are the square footage of the duplex's.

Duplex:
Flat 807 - 2186 sq ft (8th and 9th floors)
Flat 808 - 2186 sq ft (8th and 9th floors)
Flat 1103 - 2085 sq ft (11th and 12th floors)
Flat 1104 - 2075 sq ft (11th and 12th floors)

Triplex:
Flat 905 - 2926 sq ft (9th, 10th and 11th floors)
Flat 906 - 3056 sq ft (9th, 10th and 11th floors)
Flat 1201 - 3441 sq ft (12th, 13th and 14th floors)
Flat 1202 - 3574 sq ft (12th, 13th and 14th floors)

Penthouse sales to date:

Duplex:
Flat 807 - £920,000 (20th Jan 2004)
Flat 808 - £950,000 (10th Feb 2003)
Flat 1103 - £1,100,000 (23rd Aug 2002)
Flat 1103 - £800,000 (14 Dec 2004)
Flat 1104 - £1,100,000 (23rd Aug 2004)
Flat 1104 - £950,000 (20th Jun 2003)
Flat 1104 - £900,000 (18 Sep 2006)

Triplex:
Flat 905 - £1,500,000 (23rd Aug 2002)
Flat 906 - £1,500,000 (23rd Aug 2002)
Flat 906 - £1,100,000 (27th Feb 2004)
Flat 1201 - £1,575,000 (23rd Aug 2002)
Flat 1202 - £1,575,000 (23rd Aug 2002)
Flat 1202 - £1,500,000 (29th Aug 2003)
Flat 1202 - £1,500,000 (3rd July 2007)

Ian Simpson's for apartment 1101 (2 ordinary flats knocked together and upgraded) sold for £1,200,000 (02 Feb 2007)

Basically, No.1 Deansgate is a 14 floor apartment building, but because of the very high podium and shops, the 1st floor is like being on the 6th floor.

The communal landing floors are covered with carpet, whereas the penthouse communal floors have limestone flooring. All penthouses have comfort cooling and heating, all other apartments have wet radiator heating.

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,547 Posts
Does Giggsy still live there?

I told my mum that when she came to visit one time.

I also told her that Chorlton Precinct was the Trafford Centre, for a lark.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,801 Posts
I still love this old beaut.. could actually be Simpson's finest? It might be a lil n' in comparison to the Beethams but its a gud n'.. love the way the supports join the podium to the apartments.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
I still love this old beaut.. could actually be Simpson's finest? It might be a lil n' in comparison to the Beethams but its a gud n'.. love the way the supports join the podium to the apartments.
Its Manchester's unsung hero of buildings. It is the gem that started it all.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thankyou, looks like the communal areas are well designed and give off a relaxing atmosphere.

Did you live/work there?
No, but I do like the building.

Too many people fall into the trap that taller must mean it's better. This applies to 301 Deansgate (Hilton Tower) which has smaller apartments which are less attractive. The views may be better, but as I found when I worked at the top of City Tower for 4 years, the interest in the views soon wear off.

For the first few months the views were amazing, but you get used to it and you soon stop looking at them. It's then in you're tiny overpriced flat in the sky you look around and think, what could I have got for my money in other apartment buildings around the city?

No.1 Deansgate is the only real option. It's attractive, well placed for all the best shops and it is a prestigious development. We'll forget the Leftbank development as nobody as heard of it, it's hidden in an obscure location and looks like a giant Legoland.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No, but I do like the building.

Too many people fall into the trap that taller must mean it's better. This applies to 301 Deansgate (Hilton Tower) which has smaller apartments which are less attractive. The views may be better, but as I found when I worked at the top of City Tower for 4 years, the interest in the views soon wear off.

For the first few months the views were amazing, but you get used to it and you soon stop looking at them. It's then in you're tiny overpriced flat in the sky you look around and think, what could I have got for my money in other apartment buildings around the city?

No.1 Deansgate is the only real option. It's attractive, well placed for all the best shops and it is a prestigious development. We'll forget the Leftbank development as nobody as heard of it, it's hidden in an obscure location and looks like a giant Legoland.
Haha, I agree that leftbank from the exterior does look alittle like Legoland, it houses comercial units though doesn't it?

What's your opinon on The Century Buildings on St Marys Parsonage?

I'm currently saving and waiting for the market to stabalise before buying an apartment.

I'd really like to live in No1 Deansgate, but realistically you're looking at 250k which would be tough for me to afford as i'm a 23yr old and i'll be living alone. 180k would be a more realistic figure for what my budget will be.

·
BlackFriars
443 Posts
Gotta say the flats in Leftbank were superb, with different layouts. Pretty big (bigger than any house that i've lived in) but overpriced at the moment and the views from the two duplexes we went to see were fantastic and the location (described by one poster as hidden is, i reckon a godsend). hopefully it will remain so so that a development somewhere quiet within the city is a pleasure to get home to. The area is well managed so no vomiting or pissing on the doorstep (u'll have to wait till you get inside) :)

the communal areas in No1 look great from the above photos, wheras this is were Leftbank was a bit of a letdown with some landing carpets looking like they needed replacing already. Is this a problem in developments with many flats that are rented and let out as hotel apartments. people might simply not give a damn. I'm sure i saw some phtots of the Edge with wooden floor landings. surely these would add to noise from the communial areas though, unless the flats themselves are well sound proofed

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Gotta say the flats in Leftbank were superb, with different layouts. Pretty big (bigger than any house that i've lived in) but overpriced at the moment and the views from the two duplexes we went to see were fantastic and the location (described by one poster as hidden is, i reckon a godsend). hopefully it will remain so so that a development somewhere quiet within the city is a pleasure to get home to. The area is well managed so no vomiting or pissing on the doorstep (u'll have to wait till you get inside) :)

the communal areas in No1 look great from the above photos, wheras this is were Leftbank was a bit of a letdown with some landing carpets looking like they needed replacing already. Is this a problem in developments with many flats that are rented and let out as hotel apartments. people might simply not give a damn. I'm sure i saw some phtots of the Edge with wooden floor landings. surely these would add to noise from the communial areas though, unless the flats themselves are well sound proofed
Leftbank is nice, but unfortuantly for me the top spec 1 beds with an outdoor area are 200k+ and are overpriced IMO.

The Edge has wooden floors throughout, the flats aren't well enough soundproofed and you can hear people walking around in the long corridors which is the sole reason why I won't be buying an apartment there. Have to say the Conciege / reception area is decent though, and the first thing the ladies say when they come round is 'woah you live here?'! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Couldn't ever live at that apartment - that steel girder in the way and the tiny lounge would annoy me, I couldn't even fit my hifi in there!.

Do you have any idea what the service charge is? i'm expecting around £130 pcm (similar to the edge).

If this apartment is still around when the market has relaxed (and hopefull it'll be cheaper too) then it'll be a serious contender.

http://www.huntersnet.co.uk/site/property-for-sale/Manchester/property-MAN080259.html?from=results

1 - 20 of 35 Posts