SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060509/it006.pdf

The Bay Adelaide Centre report is out and has some interesting tidbits regarding shadowing Nathan Phillips Square

- strict height restrictions in the core based on shadowing NPS
- First Canadian Place exceeds current height regimes
- recommending the North Tower of the Bay Adelaide Plan be reduced from 162m to 120m - lost density could be transferred to the lower floors of the tower as well as the East Tower (fatter towers) which do not impact NPS

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
?? No buildings anywhere in Toronto? Not every building proposal in the core would cast a shadow on Nathan Philips Square. I think it is old news that any proposal of a building casting a shadow there will not be accepted. Time to move away a bit from the cluster. I say move south, or move East. If a
developer is truly serious about building a 1000 footer, and not just full of
hot air (no names mentioned) they will find a location that would not cast
a shadow on the hallowed halls of City Hall.
Rob Ford casts a bigger shadow than any building possibly could, and he
is still around.

·
Registered
274 Posts
"Staff are concerned about the amount of new shadow cast on Nathan Phillips Square by the proposed 49-storey (162-metre) North Tower. The existing zoning permits a 12-storey or 57-metre high building in this location. The proposed tower would result in the slot between existing shadows being filled in to an area just north of the skating rink. In order to more significantly reduce the new shadow impact on Nathan Phillips Square, staff recommend that the North Tower height be reduced to 120 metres." -pg 15

I can't say I expected this but it isn't too bad since the other two won't be reduced:

"The Yonge, Queen, Bay and Adelaide Lands Part II Plan requires that buildings on the site reflect: a transition in the scale of buildings from the Hudson Bay department store to the Scotia Plaza building; the scale of Bay Street between Adelaide Street West and Richmond Street West; and the lower scale of development on Yonge Street. The applicant proposes that the North Tower be 49 storeys (162 metres), the West Tower 50 storeys (218 metres) and the East Tower be 43 storeys (180 metres). The heights do reflect a transition from the Scotia Plaza building north to the Hudson Bay store building and from Bay Street to Yonge Street. The Bay Street
historic roof edge will be recognized by the retention of 347 Bay Street and a stepback to the tower. However, with respect to the North Tower, as discussed below in the Shadow Analysis section, a better north-south transition and improved sunlight access to Nathan Phillips Square is
achieved from this tower being lowered in height."
-pg 13

Again the two taller towers would go ahead at least as big.

The 218m building would be the 6th tallest tower in the city (of existing) and the 180m building would be tied for 9th (including the 218m building). The project will still make a big difference to the feel downtown. And the north tower will be the height of 1 Pinnacle which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
^^^ good point. However I'd bet that Trump is far enough south of the BA north tower (which is sitting between Richmond/Temperance) to offer little or no shadow impact on NPS.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There are two ways to deal with the shadow issue.....one is to make the building smaller, but I don't like small buildings..........the other way is to eliminate the shadow.....that's right, we should pull a Mr. Burns and block the sun;););)

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Denverboi said:
God they are uptight up there!
Tell us about it. We sure could learn a lot from you guys.

Yep, Toronto is super d duper uptight.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
what's so sacred about nathan phillips square and not having shadows?!? they do'nt seem to care about shadows anywhere else but this place. as someone else said, this is a city and cities have tall buildings. deal with it you whiny bitches in city hall.

·
Registered
822 Posts
the reality is that the shadows are quite minimal.the city is going to benefit huge from this project plus the trickle down effect the project will bring.i for one still beleive that the city wants a thousand footer.

·
The Adjuster
908 Posts
BA never planned 1000' on this site anyway. I still have faith in something big from Manulife ... I hang off of every post from V of E.

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this staff report only impacts the shortest of the three buildings. And, Council may well ignore the report and give Brookfield its 160m.

Was the shortening of RBC a city thing or was it the developer who made the call?

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Bertez said:
There are two ways to deal with the shadow issue.....one is to make the building smaller, but I don't like small buildings..........the other way is to eliminate the shadow.....that's right, we should pull a Mr. Burns and block the sun;););)
LOL! Reminds me of the Southpark episode: "Simpsons Did It!!!" Perhaps
they could get some cloaking devices from Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Waterloo_Guy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this staff report only impacts the shortest of the three buildings. And, Council may well ignore the report and give Brookfield its 160m.

Was the shortening of RBC a city thing or was it the developer who made the call?
I'm pretty sure the city had nothing to do with RBC

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Thanks, Bertez, that's what I thought. And I think RBC had originally planned to build in two phases so perhaps there was no shortening?

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^The tenant demands are the reason behind the shorter tower

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like this staff report only impacts the shortest of the three buildings
The taller towers are significantly shorter from the preliminary report

·
Have vision. Think big.
623 Posts
Taller said:
Rob Ford casts a bigger shadow than any building possibly could, and he
is still around.
hahaha

1 - 20 of 74 Posts