SkyscraperCity Forum banner

No big Park in the city core: lost opportunity or future development?

13829 156
I have noticed that there is no big park in or near the downtown core.

There are the areas of trinity-bellwods and cabbagetown but they are not big enough.

Plenty of lands has been repurposed but none of that has gone to parks.

Is there hope for a big park in central Toronto or is gone?

Could Toronto have its own Central, Hyde, Regent Park?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
According to Greenspace, 47% of London is green space. If some campaigners plans go through, London will be the first National Park City.

And it's not just the parks of Hyde, Regent, Richmond, Hampstead Heath, etc. There are leafy squares dotting the city, and the 14km Regent's Canal snaking across London (not to mention the Grand Union Canal to Birmingham). And also lots of walking trails, such as the Capital Ring Walk.
Rail Deck park is the closest we'll get to a big park downtown (21 acres) but overall Toronto easily beats both NY and London when it comes to parkland/nature. It's not a close call imo.
I don't think there is a universal designation on national parks, as each national park is designated by their country's respective governments. So this National Park City designation is a UK-specific designation. The Canadian government can copy this and declare Toronto or Vancouver as a National Park City. As with any designation, there are benefits, such as enhanced protection on green spaces (which 47% of London is), increased accessibility on said parklands, probably a more stringent enforcement in tackling air pollution, etc. Of course, you don't need a designation for these things, but it does help.
What is this National Park designation? Who would be giving out the designation?
But the West End (which includes Mayfair) is just across the street from Hyde Park. And the West End, by any definition, is part of the central business district. Even Regent's Park is just across the street from Marylebone and Fitzrovia, both neighborhoods being part of the West End. As for Central Park, it's just north of Midtown.

How many people actually walk to High Park from downtown Toronto?
This has always been my point, too. High Park is not far from downtown and as I said earlier it is no farther from the CBD than Central Park in NYC or Hyde Park in London. Big cities normally do not have massive parks in their Central Business core. High Park is big; only half as big as Central Park but bigger than Hyde Park.
The best thing is to shut down both the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway. The DVP should be demolished and given over to wildlife, while the Gardiner can be turned into Toronto's Highline park. [email protected]*k the motorists should be John Tory's motto.
What would you like to see done with the Don Valley super park? Do you think some of the transportation corridors need to be re-located for it to work?
Yeah, I totally agree! I have proposed the same with London and their City Airport in that closing the airport would be beneficial to the city. There is no reason why an airport should be this close to the city when you already have good transport links between downtown and the airport.
Now they should just close down Billy Bishop Airport, it's messing up lively/green waterfront image. It's just too industrial and noisy...
Speaking of parks and trees, this looks like a really promising development. It's called "CityTree", which claims to "deliver the pollution reducing and air cooling effect of 275 conventional trees".

Reactions: isaidso
My issue with the airport is that it creates a barrier to the Toronto Islands from downtown. Imagine if Vancouver built a runway in the West End separating downtown Vancouver with Stanley Park. It's the same thing with Toronto.

Sure, you can take a ferry to the islands but it's not quite accessible. It doesn't feel like it's part of downtown and you can't just willy-nilly go there out of the blue. Without the airport as a physical and mental barrier and the area converted into parkland, the islands can start feeling part of downtown. Hanlan's Point Beach can be Toronto's Barceloneta beach, which will be more accessible than the Beaches. You can build a pedestrian/cycle/streetcar bridge across the Western Channel and have the 509 briefly make a few stops in that area.

Together with the Gardiner Expressway, this is just an example of poor urban planning and bad foresight.
Rural places don't have airports in the middle.
^^ The Toronto Islands are a proper rural place, if you know their history.
Is that April Fools, or did Christmas came early this year?
Reactions: lezgotolondon
Hahaha... well played. For a moment there, you made me hope for a better Toronto.

Looks like I'm busted. Sorry but I couldn't resist. The photo is from the National Post (so I credited it) but the rest I wrote myself to look like a newspaper article. I found the conceptual drawings online with the CN Tower in the right place so it looked like the airport site.

:smug:
One has to wonder how gormless one must be to fall for this April Foolery.
Not gormless. More like having an interest in actual good urban planning that made people wish that the post was true.
I wonder if people can swim at Brigantine Cove....
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.