Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEVELOPERS building high-rises over Brisbane's Botanic Gardens will no longer have to worry about casting a shadow under new city council laws.

Devine's $1 billion French Quarter precinct, fronting Alice, Margaret and Albert streets, which proposes two towers overshadowing the gardens, will be one of the first beneficiaries of Brisbane City Council's City Centre neighbourhood plan, whereby developers don't have to lodge shadow reports.

While the precinct's design is not yet complete, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said he would still seek more details about the shadow impact.

"In relation to the Devine proposal, that will be an issue I'll certainly be asking (about)," Cr Newman said.

"With the Vision tower, there was a bit of a shadow issue - it was a small one - and we had to weigh up the positive nature of the development."

Cr Newman said the shadow impact of French Quarter would be put into perspective.

"That doesn't mean if there's a shadow, it won't get up," he said.

Labor, which comprised the majority of the council when the decision was made, said it was complying with the wishes of the Liberal Lord Mayor.

"This was the Lord Mayor's wish - this was ultimately a decision of his," Opposition Planning spokesman Milton Dick said. "At the time, the argument was there was significant shading already in the Botanic Gardens."

Neighbourhood Planning chairwoman Amanda Cooper said the City Centre plan had been through the council twice and was in the process of being implemented.

"It was felt that there was no longer any shadowing that could impact on the Botanic Gardens because of the buildings that actually existed," she said

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23769065-5011140,00.html

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
Thats interesting, aren't the botanical gardens already dark and shadowy at the best of times? Its right next to a CBD so the developers shouldn't have to worry about shadows.

·
Is Slightly Opinionated.
456 Posts
Thats interesting, aren't the botanical gardens already dark and shadowy at the best of times? Its right next to a CBD so the developers shouldn't have to worry about shadows.
Sunshine is such a valuable entity in many cities around the world where there isn't lots of it to go around, especially at winter. In Brisbane, we obviously don't have that issue to the same extent, but there's still a desire to have open spaces with direct sunlight....even if most people will gravitate towards the shade for most of the year anyway. Maybe it's some strange psychological desire to sit under the dappled shade of a tree instead of the block shadow of a building. Looks like the BCC are looking to speed up the evolutionary process.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I think thats very generous of the BCC to allow overshadowing of the Botanic Gardens. The warm climate favours the plants anyway unless they need sunlight to bloom. In Sydney any overshadowing of a major park by a scraper is verbatten.

I'd like to see how the Botannic Gardens think of it, because they wouldnt like it.

·
Registered
77,348 Posts
try to keep threads like these in this section.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also agree that the shadowing issue is indeed something that should be looked at. We have SFA parkland in brisbane as it is without ruining the stuff we have

·
Registered
49 Posts
I notice most times of the year in Brisbane people actually TRY to sit in shadows, so why is shadowing a bad thing? Too much sun exposure is bad in our hot Queensland climate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Because we have trees to provide shadow. I like to get out in the sun every now and again there to kick a footy or whatever. In winter its nice to sit in the sun to get warm

·
26,701 Posts
And with the heritage buildings around the Parkland that will always be possible, as with Roma Street and South Bank Parklands.

·
®
6,021 Posts
I also agree that the shadowing issue is indeed something that should be looked at. We have SFA parkland in brisbane as it is without ruining the stuff we have
:lol: I know this is rather an old post now, but just read it today, but what is SFA parkland? is SFA = State Forest A....????

As for shaddows, isn't that why the gold coast is allowing tall buildings along the beaches to provide a shaddow to protect people from the afternoon sun? :nuts: i recall reading that somewhere long ago.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts