SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
83,923 Posts
TB, if I recall corectly, the province of Ontario also blew off Toronto for its 2015 bid, lol.
The province blew it off because the Feds refused, and they did not want to be stuck paying the whole thing. I imagine this is precisely what has happened with this present case.
You can't win an Expo or Olympic bid without support from your own Federal Government- no committee would agree to such an arrangement.

· Premium Member
83,923 Posts
^^To clarify for everyone else... the Feds and Ontario were jointly going to fund expo 2015, but they couldn't come to agreement on who's going to be responsible for cost overruns. The feds passed a bill a decade beforehand that prohibited them from being liable to cost overruns/budget shortfalls for these events, so presumably that would have been a given in the Edmonton bid, except that bid got killed without any negotiation.
Guess it was just an old fashioned miracle how they managed to swing it for the Vancouver Olympics!! ;)
Anyhoo... just to clarify it for everyone, the Feds simply stalled till the deadline was past, because they had no intention of backing the proposal.

· Premium Member
83,923 Posts
...and G8/G20 ;) Funny how depending on one's mood, the Ontario government can do no wrong :) Wait, why are we even talking bout Toronto, and now Vancouver for that matter, lol?
No one else wanted the G20, thus Toronto got stuck with it. In fact, it was simply announced to the population out of the blue. Hardly the same situation as getting the Olympics, but I suppose it would be pointless trying to explain that to you.

Other than increased infrastructure, it is questionable whether any event other than the Summer Olympics has much of a lasting tangible "legacy" for a city. You just get stuck paying a myriad of bills, and the modern world has Attention Deficit Syndrome and forgets all about it the nanosecond it is over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.