1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Seems like a great thing for syd as I've always felt this area needed an upgrade. Hopefully those ugly traffic overpasses get decorated or something too

·
Why Try Harder
1,576 Posts
The more I am reminded of what we currently have, the more I look forward to what we will have. The area is tired and requires a much needed revamp.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
:cheers: Great series Ipggi! Will be great to see a before and after series of Darling Harbour over the cycle of development. That's the beauty with many urban and regional environments - they're a living organism that adapts to changes in planning philosophies, technology; however, some areas also reflect the past through heritage conservation.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Seems like a great thing for syd as I've always felt this area needed an upgrade. Hopefully those ugly traffic overpasses get decorated or something too
interesting to read views like this as the morons opposing the waterfront in perth cited how good darling harbour was with the massive overpasses above it :nuts:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
interesting to read views like this as the morons opposing the waterfront in perth cited how good darling harbour was with the massive overpasses above it :nuts:
:lol: Well the overpasses aren't going away any time soon. So have to make the most of them, the pedestrian track on the one closest to the harbour provides great views. Hopefully they will be able to build some attractive landscaping with shade friendly plants at their base to encourage more use of Tumbalong Park.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts

um.. what

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
They're staying... At least one of them has a pedestrian walkway and offers some great views.
why would you redevelop the whole thing, spend millions, yet leave those hideous pieces of sh*t?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
why would you redevelop the whole thing, spend millions, yet leave those hideous pieces of sh*t?
Because it would cost billions, not millions, to remove them. Billions that would better be spent on dozens of other needed infrastructure projects.

Here are the plans for Darling Harbour.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
hand over the mic you bloody comedian !!!!!!

p.s. very original

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They could at least clad the concrete in something slightly less bland. I know exposed concrete is back in vogue with tight-arsed architecture (see the fugly Kinghorn Cancer Centre in Darlinghurst, or the MCA). But still .. there are so many ways you could improve it without spending billions to sink the motorway.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
functional maybe. but flippin' ugly

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I don't really think about it walking through but having time to view the photos, it does look very tired, dated and certainly needs some TLC. I will however really miss all those water features, I think they are great and the kids love them too.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
Most of it to me, won't be very missed. I think it's got a lot to do with nostalgia. The photos show how dated and unattractive the area actually looks. Really in need of this redevelopment... good to see it go imo. Cool photo from 1985:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I don't really think about it walking through but having time to view the photos, it does look very tired, dated and certainly needs some TLC. I will however really miss all those water features, I think they are great and the kids love them too.
Yes, the fountains. That is the only thing I will miss. They're fun. At least they're keeping the Spiral Fountain. And I'm happy to see the palm trees are staying, too bad for mobus. :storm:

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some replacement fountains are going to be installed. If you look at the plan in post #10 above Darling Quarter Play area there are some 'Active water play' areas.

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
I can handle the palms here because the buildings are so nice. But still

1 - 20 of 29 Posts