SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe just a national problem but surely the cutbacks have not been that bad. Walk around the city regularly and there are hardly any police on foot anymore. I've witnessed so many incidents and no authority around, street beggars are getting too many and maybe a side effect of a bigger problem, no one seems to be caring for them on the streets in the city. I've never seen anyone delivering supplies or checking who these people are. What is alarming is the amount of women on the street too, really very sad and those I have spoken to are all sleeping rough because they are not getting to the hostels on time to register for their nights sleep. I witnessed one woman threatened with her life for stepping on a large male beggars territory, and spoke to another young woman in the city centre who had been beaten up badly with a terribly cut and bruised face. She was also hinting at being dragged into prostitution but I didn't pry.

I've been shouted at twice by racist idiots in cars, once with a femail friend which was vile. The streets at night now even in the city centre no longer feel safe at all. I would not feel comfortable about taking children or family members around many of the streets late evening especially with little or no police presence for reassurance. This problem has been getting worse over recent years and I feel it's just been left to deteriorate which is really sad.

I've been going out in the city for many years and I can't remember it being this bad. Others I speak to seem to be experiencing the same thing. Obviously no city is ever going to feel particularly safe at night but Brum has had a fairly good record for a city of its size in the past I think.

My own experiences include people I know (a girl student) being violently attacked and robbed left with broken teeth by lads, racist gang fight outside the Mailbox, several other fights, people being verbally abused and just last night there were a couple absolutely off their heads sat on the Council House steps fighting and arguing, the man was threatening violence on the woman could have been drugs or alcohol not sure.. They were there when we walked into town and there when we left. It's not nice to see or hear and there is no police to sort this out in a prominent part of town so god knows how bad it must be now in certain suburbs, no go I would imagine.

On a separate note, there was a large group of men and women crawling around inside the Chamberlain Memorial last night taking selfies. The tiny door was opened, didn't even know you could enter it. Not sure if they had forced it or had a key but wondered what that was all about.

We need the police back on the streets at night.

·
Social Housing
2,674 Posts
Happy to say I don't share your experiences nor your overall negative outlook on the city centre at night. I always feel safe and can't remember ever feeling threatened. I view the lack of police presence as a good thing, a sign that they are not required rather than leading to antisocial behaviour as you allude to. Either you are extremely unlucky or perhaps of a very nervous disposition but either way, what you have just described sounds like a completely different city to the one I have lived in the centre of for over ten years (Birmingham in case I have to spell it out).

Your anecdotal description sounds more like Gotham City pre Batman than Brum!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Big cities always have their problems, but I don't think Brum has got any worse in the last ten years... that said I wouldn't fancy travelling upstairs on a bus in the city centre...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to say I don't share your experiences nor your overall negative outlook on the city centre at night. I always feel safe and can't remember ever feeling threatened. I view the lack of police presence as a good thing, a sign that they are not required rather than leading to antisocial behaviour as you allude to. Either you are extremely unlucky or perhaps of a very nervous disposition but either way, what you have just described sounds like a completely different city to the one I have lived in the centre of for over ten years (Birmingham in case I have to spell it out).

Your anecdotal description sounds more like Gotham City pre Batman than Brum!
Lol, not nervous I can certainly look out for myself. I'm sure as big city's go it's still fairly safe in comparison but recent months and years it has, in my opinion been getting worse.

There has certainly been a spike in recent months of ASB, and this can be intimidating in some cases. http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbourhood/West_Midlands_Police/Birmingham_City_Centre

The Police are paid to look after the streets and the good people on them. If there is a crime committed, and they are not within the vacinity or sat waiting to be called in, it really doesn't instill confidence, I'd rather know the Police are pounding the streets actively looking for trouble so they can nip it in the bud, not get called to a violent robbery long after it's ended with the victim needing hospital treatment.

I could list the situations off just that I have witnessed but I've highlighted enough. One more I will mention was three lads pestering me in a bar asking if I wanted to buy cocain. Eventually they left the bar when they realised no one was interested. They were still blatantly walking up to people in the street after around Victoria Square trying sell. We walked back that way later and they were still there and on this occasion had surrounded a young chap at the cash point and were intimidating him, so we walked over to see if he needed help and they left but he was a bit shaken. All it takes is for an officer to be visible and actually do as we did and it would be a problem off the street that night.

It's just personal experiences and those of others I know, I don't see the Police on streets enough, day or night.

You really don't have to dig deep to see the wider problem the last few months: http://birmingham.tab.co.uk/2014/03/18/selly-crime/
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-held-down-kicked-three-6468615
http://www.itv.com/news/central/sto...sexually-assaulted-in-birmingham-city-centre/

And this kind of incident really doesn't surprise me: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-26696724

It is a negative view of the city you are right, and it saddens me to have to say it but what will others think who visit the city and witness the same thing or read it in the local papers, it's not good and needs to be sorted out. There needs to be more Police actually on the street and more help for homelessness across the city.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big cities always have their problems, but I don't think Brum has got any worse in the last ten years... that said I wouldn't fancy travelling upstairs on a bus in the city centre...
If you can remember the mid 90s it seemed quite bad then, and over the years things seemed to improve. It certainly felt safer, but in recent times I've been shocked at some incidents I've witnessed. The gang fight outside the Mailbox was insane, a group of black guys being chased by white guys and I won't repeat the racist exchanges but there had been an attempted robbery and muggers didn't expect a fight by the sounds of it. Again not a Policeman or woman in sight and we had walked from Digbeth to the Jewellery Quarter via Mailbox. Every city has this and a city of a million people is inevitable, but more the reason for high visibility Police presence. The CCTV cameras do not seem to be working in the instances I've mentioned.

·
Registered Abuser
7,181 Posts
I also do not share this view, I walk everywhere throughout the city centre even at night and always feel safe, Brums a big place and bad things are going to happen regardless of police presence.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also do not share this view, I walk everywhere throughout the city centre even at night and always feel safe, Brums a big place and bad things are going to happen regardless of police presence.
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions. The links back up my opinion. The facts speak for themselves and they highlight my own and others experiences recently.

Less "things" are going to happen, and more people are going to feel protected if there are Police around, it's a proven fact and the whole reason why we had Police in the first place. :siren: I don't really think that's a debate worth having.

I see less Police and more trouble as a result and I walk and work in the city regularly.

·
The promised land
16,935 Posts
I can't say i feel any less safe, having worked in town till 10pm and had to catch a bus home at 10.30 is the same. I've caught the bus back at 11.30... Can't say i like doing it.

Usually i'd try and get the train back however.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I live and work in town - I agree the beggars, homeless and heroin users have got significantly more visible in the last 3 years. However I don't agree with your description of how the centre feels. There are certain areas where beggars are more prevalent and the police are constantly moving them on.

I also know there are plenty of rehab spaces, support services and hostel places in brum. I wouldn't believe anything beggars and rough sleepers tell you....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it shows how people can have diff experiences. Not discounting anyone else's experiences but the links do highlight the street robbery and asb aspect in recent months.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I live and work in town - I agree the beggars, homeless and heroin users have got significantly more visible in the last 3 years. However I don't agree with your description of how the centre feels. There are certain areas where beggars are more prevalent and the police are constantly moving them on.

I also know there are plenty of rehab spaces, support services and hostel places in brum. I wouldn't believe anything beggars and rough sleepers tell you....
As a daily city centre visitor, some of the beggars have been around for ages (even years) and it does make you suspicious as to why they continue to do so with the support that's available to them. The woman who's always in tears springs to mind. If you've not seen her before, I guess it would make you inclined to give her some cash but she's done it for years!

·
zmfjqp
278 Posts
Did you call the police when you witnessed any of these incidents, or just note them down to have a whinge on here? When I see things kicking off, on the rare occasion, I'm straight on the phone to 101/03451135000 or 999.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts