Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I wanted this to have its own thread because I think it's about time we started showing some responsibility to our city and the future of our great city centre.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14029603373&ref=share

Please go to my facebook group - join and add comments - I would like to present this to the council in future as I think they are only aware of the stall holders views on this.

I feel SO strongly about this and don't think we should wait around to see where this goes next. We need to act now.

If anyone has any awesome pictures that would be great too. (Kyle???)

·
do me bad things
7,551 Posts
Great idea. We've seen what's happened with the addition of markets on The Moor - a much wider street than Fargate, and less architecturally pleasing.

Putting the stalls down the middle of Fargate would be just awful - I think a market Square off the Moor is a far better idea.

·
architect / photographer
422 Posts
Now, I wanted this to have its own thread because I think it's about time we started showing some responsibility to our city and the future of our great city centre.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14029603373&ref=share

Please go to my facebook group - join and add comments - I would like to present this to the council in future as I think they are only aware of the stall holders views on this.

I feel SO strongly about this and don't think we should wait around to see where this goes next. We need to act now.

If anyone has any awesome pictures that would be great too. (Kyle???)
I've joined and commented :)

mate.. are you Adam Murray? if you are.. other adam lives nextdoor to jess.. my girlfriend. we've met a couple of times before! the other week on fargate infact!

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Adamblade,
Can you explain on this thread why anyone should support your campaign. I am not sure I have heard any arguments about it and I can't access facebook at the moment.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I cannot be bothered with the whole Facebook thing but fully support any move to stop the markets going on Fargate. They will cause all the problems already mentioned.

Many people at my work (myself included) deliberately avoid Fargate when the continental markets are down there because they just clutter the place up too much and you can't get in or out of any of the shops without pushing your way through throngs of people.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
I've not joined the group as a) we don't know if the council is planning on putting the markets on fargate, and b) I doubt a facebook group would have much effect, if they do decide to trial it it'll be much better to comment on the planning application than to join a facebook group.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
I've not joined the group as a) we don't know if the council is planning on putting the markets on fargate, and b) I doubt a facebook group would have much effect, if they do decide to trial it it'll be much better to comment on the planning application than to join a facebook group.
I know what you mean with that.
It is a bit like all the people who start endless threads on Sheffield Forum about preventing St. Luke's Hospice building on graves park, thinking that they are persuading all the pensioners who go into the St. Luke's shop that it is a bad idea. Most of those old dears will have signed st. lukes' petition and will be unaware that there is any opposition and oblivious to the idea of an internet forum anyhow, even those who are councillors. :lol:

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
And another thing.
Facebook is just annoying. I do have an account on there, but it is just full of twats sending me annoying crap that I do not want. I dont need it to clutter my internet browser with. I don't want to go and see any house or dance music or football because I hate it, stop sending me fucking invitations to it or I'll delete my account...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I agree Facebook is annoying, but groups like this have worked in the past and I just want to round up support before I present any information to a councillor. Paul Scriven has added my boyf on facebook in the past so I think he'll be my contact, and he's the top guy.

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
Just for balance I'd like to say it's wonderful having markets on Fargate - they bring life to a boring street (in terms of the surfacing etc.). Fargate is an excellent location for market stalls if the numbers are appropriate. When there's a continental market it is definitely too crammed in.

Any decent town should have an outdoor market, let alone an aspirational city like Sheffield.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts