SkyscraperCity banner

941 - 947 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Another infill proposal near the 132nd East Link station
This site is immediately north of the future BelRed light rail station, so it’s a fab location. But why only 5 stories? Ankrom Moissan is the architect, and they don’t do small cheap stuff, so it should be decent.

Historic note, this site housed the printing presses of the Bellevue Journal, until it folded in 2006. Online copy-paste rag the Bellevue/issaquah/Kirkland/etc Reporter is the last remaining fragment of the suburban King County media industry it competed in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bel-Red TOD site sells for $46M

The buyer was Bel-Red South LLC, which is associated with Eastside investor Ray Spencer, a past buyer in the area — near the future Bel Red/130th Station

Monday's sale now creates a roughly 7.5-acre assemblage between 132nd and 134th avenues Northeast, on the north side of Bel-Red. The light rail station, set to open in 2023, is on the block west across 132nd. The buyers have now spent north of $60 million to assemble over 7 acres.

The three Wright-Spencer LLCs now own most but not all of the block also bounded by Northeast Spring Boulevard on its north side. The 1.2-acre southwest corner, aka Herc Rentals (formerly Hertz), remains separately owned — but there also appears to be some overlap with the Robertson family

The only recent plan filed with the city, by land-use consultant JMJ Team for an undisclosed client, proposes three separate future developable site, plus a land swap with the city for a parcel on the northeast corner of the assemblage. It also describes the future daylighting of Goff Creek, which apparently now runs below grade, parallel to 132nd, and feeds into Kelsey Creek, on the south side of Bel-Red.

The land underlying yesterday's sale is now home to several old low-rise buildings. Current tenants include Birch Tree Academy, Mox Boarding House, Northwest Pianos and various automotive businesses.

13310 Bel-Red Rd. and several related addresses

·
Registered
196 Posts

The three Wright-Spencer LLCs now own most but not all of the block also bounded by Northeast Spring Boulevard on its north side. The 1.2-acre southwest corner, aka Herc Rentals (formerly Hertz), remains separately owned — but there also appears to be some overlap with the Robertson family

13310 Bel-Red Rd. and several related addresses

View attachment 520739
There are several parts of BelRed like this, where a single family has owned multiple lots since the area was first developed - which makes transactions like this easier. I’ve thought about making a map that shows these, but haven’t been able to make the time yet.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Historic note, this site housed the printing presses of the Bellevue Journal, until it folded in 2006. Online copy-paste rag the Bellevue/issaquah/Kirkland/etc Reporter is the last remaining fragment of the suburban King County media industry it competed in.
My spending money in high school came from a large Journal American (predecessor to the Bellevue Journal) route in Newport Hills. This was back when teenagers still delivered papers by walking/biking a delivery area. At that time the paper actually had its own reporting staff.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Newspaper delivery is such a microcosm of the changes in the world for me. My grandfather, father, brother and I delivered the Times or P-I as youth. My route was definitely my first real earned income and I did it for I think middle school years mostly (I was the responsible kid with my money compared to my sibs, still am - but it started back then). The Seattle P-I operated a bus for it's delivery kids that my grandfather took to Paradise to ski as a kid. They'd hike up and ski down. I think it was a bonus of being a paper delivery kid - I'm not really sure how it would've been around the mid to late 1920's when he was a kid.

·
Journeyman
15,927 Posts
I took over a friend's route for one summer while they were away, when I was 12. I wasn't attentive to collections, so didn't make a dime. Every day at 4:30 am I'd get up nauseous, walk my 1.5 miles with Another One Bites the Dust in my head (it was that summer) and go back to bed after. Good times.

941 - 947 of 947 Posts