SkyscraperCity banner

681 - 700 of 730 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mersal run is a surprise then. Even when kaththi released and got good wom, the rush was pretty low after the opening weekend. BB2 became all time highest grosser in major languages it was dubbed into, except in kerala. That shows our industry is somewhat hard to tame even for an all india blockbuster.

Also eventful movies like bahubali, enthiran, 2.0 only comes rarely. The rest of them doesn't have any potential to break become the highest grosser here. Ours is the most secured industry i believe

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
The fact is that the regional film industry(there are many in North India) in India except for the four South Indian languages are not so solid or strong enough. Still Bollywood is dominating there except some films once in a bluemoon in Punjabi or Marathi or Bengali. In terms of market and money the order in India is 1) Bollywood 2) Telugu 3) Tamil 4) Malayalam/Kannada(not sure both have somewhat similar size though Kannada I think has a bigger domestic market and Malayalam has a bigger outside state market) even though there are contradictory opinions on which industry is bigger(Tamil/Telugu). Rest of North Indian regional industries still face threat from Bollywood and are just evolving

Mersal run is a surprise then. Even when kaththi released and got good wom, the rush was pretty low after the opening weekend. BB2 became all time highest grosser in major languages it was dubbed into, except in kerala. That shows our industry is somewhat hard to tame even for an all india blockbuster.

Also eventful movies like bahubali, enthiran, 2.0 only comes rarely. The rest of them doesn't have any potential to break become the highest grosser here. Ours is the most secured industry i believe

·
Registered
116 Posts
The fact is that the regional film industry(there are many in North India) in India except for the four South Indian languages are not so solid or strong enough. Still Bollywood is dominating there except some films once in a bluemoon in Punjabi or Marathi or Bengali. In terms of market and money the order in India is 1) Bollywood 2) Telugu 3) Tamil 4) Malayalam/Kannada(not sure both have somewhat similar size though Kannada I think has a bigger domestic market and Malayalam has a bigger outside state market) even though there are contradictory opinions on which industry is bigger(Tamil/Telugu). Rest of North Indian regional industries still face threat from Bollywood and are just evolving

Our industry is anytime ahead of kannada industry. Be it with the quality and market worldwide, we are few notches above them. Movie going population would be definitely higher in kerala than karanataka. Films like Bangalore days, premam, charlie, drishyam were watched by many non malayali people around our country. Plus like u said, we do have decent overseas market in GCC, UK, and USA. Hope KGF would be a game changer for them.

Regarding Tamil/ Telugu, interms of size of industry & money spent on a movie- Telugu
Interms of worldwide market - Tamil might come next to Bollywood. Thus i believe Tamil/Telugu should share the same 2nd spot after Bollywood and 3rd for Malayalam.

·
Registered
693 Posts
^^

Apart from Bahubali, I feel big-budget movies are more in Tamil than in Telugu. Also, collection on average is more on Tamil movies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^

Apart from Bahubali, I feel big-budget movies are more in Tamil than in Telugu. Also, collection on average is more on Tamil movies.
Tamil has more wider market than telugu. That's the reason a superhit/bb tamil movie makes more money than a superhit telugu movie. Bahubali series is an exception.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
Saw Aquaman.

Mind blowing movie which seems to be made specifically for Indian audience with good vs evil, mother sentiments

Altogether enjoyed the movie.

Claps at the end

My rating:- 4/5

Suggest everyone to take your kids for this movie

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Saw Aquaman.
Mind blowing movie which seems to be made specifically for Indian audience with good vs evil, mother sentiments
Altogether enjoyed the movie.
Claps at the end
My rating:- 4/5
Suggest everyone to take your kids for this movie
Every superhero movie is like that. (good vs evil) I also liked it. Sadly, the western critics (Rotten tomatoes) still did't liked it! Don't know why they hate DC. I stopped looking at critic ratings from that site. The audience rating or IMDb ratings are far more accurate.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #688
Zero a disaster. Kannada film KGF Chapter 1 has overtaken Zero in its collection. A proud moment for Kannada film industry which was supposed to be a smaller industry compared to Tamil and Telugu and a shameful moment for SRK

#KGF holds well in Hindi on 1st Monday.. Monday - Dec 24th - ₹ 2.90 Crs.. More than Friday nos..1st Weekend: ₹ 9.20 cr. 4-Days Total - ₹ 12.10 Crs All-India Nett..

9:46 PM - 24 Dec 2018

·
Registered
116 Posts
SRK's stardom and popularity isn't reflecting in the B.O for a while. His movies despite having all possible promotions still couldn't take a decent opening. His recent flicks like Fan, Raees where watchable one's,but ended up as B.o failures. Is it because people doesn't like to watch him in different roles and expecting another ddlj or kuch kuch hota hai to happen again? This really should be a case study.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Not only that. It shows that whole Indian film industry box office is ruled by youth. It is high time that the aged senior stars be more selective and do roles which suit their age

Both the Khans this year met with debacle Thugs of Hindostan and Zero.
Mohanlals Odiyan and Shankar 2.00 did not live upto their hype while smaller films like Prakashan and 96 are doing wonders at box office. In Telugu too it is the same trend .

The hero who took the whole nation by storm with KGF Yash is only in his early 30's while senior Kannada stars movies are still not that big successes at BO

SRK's stardom and popularity isn't reflecting in the B.O for a while. His movies despite having all possible promotions still couldn't take a decent opening. His recent flicks like Fan, Raees where watchable one's,but ended up as B.o failures. Is it because people doesn't like to watch him in different roles and expecting another ddlj or kuch kuch hota hai to happen again? This really should be a case study.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why Vijay has more fans in Kerala than any other indian star in the state !!
because his average movie has more gross than other actors BB movies collection!!

Note : im asking Non-Malayali heros

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, that might be a reason. But baring Thugs, Aamir had great run in B.O. Remember thugs trailer was largely panned and trolled by viewers, and still it had record breaking opening. Its because of the faith people have in Aamir. Zero had good promotions, Salman cameo, Srk in a never seen avatar, everything for a normal moviegoer to rush into theaters, and still taking a lukewarm opening is surprising.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hope this would be a comeback for Surya. Its been a quiet long time, that Surya has delivered a genuine BB which equally appeals to his fans and general viewers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As per the current trend petta can be a sure shot Industry hit. But on the other side, vishwasam too gaining positive reports and good collections across TN. A solo release would have helped both movies becoming BB's.

681 - 700 of 730 Posts