SkyscraperCity banner

701 - 720 of 730 Posts

·
Kollam Rising
13,986 Posts
Marathi films have a good market in most parts of Maharashtra and even in Mumbai and Pune. When I went to watch "Njan Prakashan" in a Mall in Navi Mumbai, four Marathi films were running successfully with heavy rush! Marathi films are watched mostly in Goa and North Karnataka apart Maharashtra. There is no outside market. Marathi has couple of films in the Rs. 100+ club. Regarding, Kannada, the recent KGF has crossed Rs.200 crores and may place Kannada now above Malayalam in collections. Regional films are making a mark not just southern films. Marathi is definitely making a mark, Bengali and Punjabi may not. Regional films can make it big if the a big budget film is dubbed in Hindi and some other major languages.

The fact is that the regional film industry(there are many in North India) in India except for the four South Indian languages are not so solid or strong enough. Still Bollywood is dominating there except some films once in a bluemoon in Punjabi or Marathi or Bengali. In terms of market and money the order in India is 1) Bollywood 2) Telugu 3) Tamil 4) Malayalam/Kannada(not sure both have somewhat similar size though Kannada I think has a bigger domestic market and Malayalam has a bigger outside state market) even though there are contradictory opinions on which industry is bigger(Tamil/Telugu). Rest of North Indian regional industries still face threat from Bollywood and are just evolving

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #702 (Edited)
You are wrong.Sairat is the only 100 crore collecting film in Marathi. Marathi film industry has a class audience and ' content' is the superstar there. Other than that there are no superstars in Marathi industry. Other than Sairat only two or three movies have crossed even 40 crores. Recently Madhuri Dixit made her marathi debut

Yes. In terms of collection no Malayalam film has touched KGF figure which places Kannada much above Malayalam. But again other than KGF none of Kannada films have outside market. Let Kannada industry produce more films like this consistently. . In fact KGF is the first 100 crore film there . As of now our industry has two 100 cr- Pulimurugan and Kochunni. But still I agree that Kannada films have a huge domestic market bigger than Kerala while we have a consistent outside market in rest of India and GCC. If Kannada industry starts producing films like KGF repeatedly then its outside market will increase and it will reach Tamil Telugu standards in terms of revenue. As of now it is as big as Malayalam films or maybe a little bigger than that

Punjabi films are ahead of Marathi in terms of collection and box office since they have a huge market in USA, Canada, Australia and UK.

Bengali films too have good budgets. Rest of the language films are all in a bad state.

But generally in terms of size of industry it is only after Bollywood and four South Indian industries will the other north Indian regional industries come.

Check this link and you will know which regional industry is bigger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_Indian_films

Marathi films have a good market in most parts of Maharashtra and even in Mumbai and Pune. When I went to watch "Njan Prakashan" in a Mall in Navi Mumbai, four Marathi films were running successfully with heavy rush! Marathi films are watched mostly in Goa and North Karnataka apart Maharashtra. There is no outside market. Marathi has couple of films in the Rs. 100+ club. Regarding, Kannada, the recent KGF has crossed Rs.200 crores and may place Kannada now above Malayalam in collections. Regional films are making a mark not just southern films. Marathi is definitely making a mark, Bengali and Punjabi may not. Regional films can make it big if the a big budget film is dubbed in Hindi and some other major languages.

·
Travancore
8,882 Posts
Guys..Saw KGF ... a real surprise treat ...Don movie theme...and superheroism...
This guy has got the lookz...great sets on mine field...and overall full style..
Just loved it... :)
Waiting for part 2 !!

Reactions: Aji Kollam
S

·
0 Posts
Two Non-Malayalam Mammootty movies releasing in Feb!

Two very promising movies. Peranbu in particular is a movie to watch out for, as it has already gathered excellent reviews in film festivals.

Peranbu Trailer

Yatra Trailer

^^
Sadly, Mammootty acts in Peranbu and Yatra in other languages, while in Malayalam we get Madhuraraja :eek:hno:
Hoping to see the actor in him soon in Malayalam.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Good for Kannada film industry. KGF is their first 100 crore and even 200 crore club. Till now they were overshadowed by their bigger neighbors like Tamil and Telugu and to a small extent even Malayalam and they faced heavy competition from other language films specially in cities like Bangalore

Many of them here dont even know that KGF is a Kannada film. It will be the first Kannada film which is collecting heavily outside Karnataka. Everywhere it has done heavy business. In Kerala it didnt get theatres because of Xmas releases. But still I think it will be the first Kannada film to collect 2 crores here which is the final collection

Guys..Saw KGF ... a real surprise treat ...Don movie theme...and superheroism...
This guy has got the lookz...great sets on mine field...and overall full style..
Just loved it... :)
Waiting for part 2 !!

·
Travancore
8,882 Posts
Good for Kannada film industry. KGF is their first 100 crore and even 200 crore club. Till now they were overshadowed by their bigger neighbors like Tamil and Telugu and to a small extent even Malayalam and they faced heavy competition from other language films specially in cities like Bangalore

Many of them here dont even know that KGF is a Kannada film. It will be the first Kannada film which is collecting heavily outside Karnataka. Everywhere it has done heavy business. In Kerala it didnt get theatres because of Xmas releases. But still I think it will be the first Kannada film to collect 2 crores here which is the final collection
Thats true , we hardly had any preference for Kannada movies...and somehow never appealed to the South audience at large..

But this KGF is one killer and will surely attract audience towards more Kannada works!!

I think the good old formula - "Superheroism" works so well for the industry and scales beyond language barriers !!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
But it should be consistent also. Otherwise it will be the same old formula and audience will shun their faces towards the movies. Actually other than Yash(KGF) none of the actors have an appeal outside Karnataka. Yash became popular only after KGF

Pulimurugan when released was almost like KGF in Malayalam film industry. But there was no other film which grossed as much as Pulimurugan after that.

Same way only if Kannada film industry produces more films like KGF then will people start watching them.

Marathi film Sairat which crossed 100 crores is also an example. There was no other Marathi film which grossed as much after that.

So the future of Kannada film industry depends on their upcoming films

Thats true , we hardly had any preference for Kannada movies...and somehow never appealed to the South audience at large..

But this KGF is one killer and will surely attract audience towards more Kannada works!!

I think the good old formula - "Superheroism" works so well for the industry and scales beyond language barriers !!

·
Travancore
8,882 Posts
Indeed an achievement for making a lead presence in biopics of other languages !!

Reactions: VIVEKSHENOY

·
Travancore
8,882 Posts
Watched Manikarnika:

Very good watch....
Kangana has delivered a Female version of Bahubali...
She is in a different league altogether !!

S

·
0 Posts
Work of Art

Peranbu!

Peranbu is a coming of age movie.
So bold, so raw, so hard-hitting, yet so beautiful, so rich in art.
A path-breaking movie not to be missed. A rare masterpiece.

This is a director's movie. Every aspect of this movie is top-notch.
Amudhavan will be remembered as one of Mammootty's best performances till date!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
True. She just surprised everyone with her performance.

A masterpiece of a movie....

And hope you know that she has partially directed the movie too

Watched Manikarnika:

Very good watch....
Kangana has delivered a Female version of Bahubali...
She is in a different league altogether !!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Watched Captain marvel. A regular popcorn entertainer. Liked brie's performance. The plot had nothing new to offer.Some scenes reminded me of Capt.America, Man of steel. Felt more like MCU phase 1 movie.
Overall a time pass movie, but definitely not the weakest marvel flick like some critics say. My rating 3/5.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
Yup. So stereotype. I watched it just for the sake of kid.

Saw one animation movie How to train a dragon too. After a certain stage these 3D animation films become so boring.

But when your kid throws tantrums and that too during vacations you got to oblige. :)

Watched Captain marvel. A regular popcorn entertainer. Liked brie's performance. The plot had nothing new to offer.Some scenes reminded me of Capt.America, Man of steel. Felt more like MCU phase 1 movie.
Overall a time pass movie, but definitely not the weakest marvel flick like some critics say. My rating 3/5.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
Looks interesting like a typical Bhansali movie. A interesting cast which has almost all young actors in Bollywood who are in market now. In addition to them seniors like Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri

701 - 720 of 730 Posts