Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
14,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had a look at that site. I think the most interesting statistic is that Ireland has the highest bus usage in Western Europe - by a mile! And the lowest train usage in Western Europe, also by a considerable margin.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had a look at that site. I think the most interesting statistic is that Ireland has the highest bus usage in Western Europe - by a mile! And the lowest train usage in Western Europe, also by a considerable margin.
I would imagine a lot of train usage in western Europe is driven by two things Ireland doesn't do well in:

1. High frequency intercity services between actual cities. Dublin-Cork is Ireland's premier intercity service and attracts 1tph. The rest are less frequent and 3 car sets to Tralee and Westport won't register much in the stats.

2. Woeful commuter rail networks: Cork and Dublin are the only cities with functioning commuter networks and for a city the size of Dublin you'd expect the rail to have higher frequency and more capacity. The lack of a Heuston-Connolly connection doesn't help here.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
But it really does present evidence that Ireland's transport dysfunctionality doesn't come from high car usage, which is about average, but actually from the ratio of bus to train usage. So when people say that the solution is more investment in buses, well this just underlines what idiots they are.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
But it really does present evidence that Ireland's transport dysfunctionality doesn't come from high car usage, which is about average, but actually from the ratio of bus to train usage. So when people say that the solution is more investment in buses, well this just underlines what idiots they are.
I agree with this, especially when that argument is trotted out for some much needed road schemes (e.g. N11 upgrade, M20, Cork North Ring, Galway bypass)

·
14,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That still doesn't explain why we're so far behind all those Scandinavian countries which are even more sparsely populated.
WTF???? :(

We are less car dependent than any of them, not even Denmark. This makes us ahead of them.

Norway (with hardly any rail and loads of oil and electricity) is the second most car dependent country in the EEA in the graph above. Portugal shades it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That still doesn't explain why we're so far behind all those Scandinavian countries which are even more sparsely populated.
WTF????

We are less car dependent than any of them, not even Denmark. This makes us ahead of them.

Norway (with hardly any rail and loads of oil and electricity) is the second most car dependent country in the EEA in the graph above. Portugal shades it.
Why don't you actually read the thread and stop embarrassing yourself

·
14,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Makes sense that Norway would be car-dependent. They're a mountainous country with only one major city (sorry Stavanger) and they're quite wealthy. It'd make sense to shell out some kroner to get a car for making it around all those fjords and through those glacial valleys.

·
14,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Makes sense that Norway would be car-dependent.
I agree. Oddly enough our position on the car utilisation graph is around the same as our position on the car ownership per 1000 persons graph.

It is noteworthy that car ownership in Norway is just around the EU average but utilisation is notably higher within the transport mix, I did say they have sod all railway compared to us though.

Irish car ownership per 1000 persons is well below the EU average. Another coloured graph for slow learners is available here

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Passenger_cars_in_the_EU

I would point out that with a younger population than the average EU state we have a significant cohort who are too young to drive a car and that would be more significant than anyone else IIRC. We would jump rather some on a cars per 1000 people aged over 21 basis but we would still be below the EU average.

Still .....Bulgaria now has more cars per 1000 people than Ireland does and they are the poorest EU state. :)

·
22,436 Posts
Irish car ownership per 1000 persons is well below the EU average. Another coloured graph for slow learners is available here

Still .....Bulgaria now has more cars per 1000 people than Ireland does and they are the poorest EU state. :)
Car ownership in Ireland is an expensive business though. That has an impact on ownership rates. About 35% of households in Dublin don't have a car and that feeds directly into the very high bus usage stats as well as a massive increase in cycling numbers.

·
14,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in the country BUG. :)

My biggest recent car related problem was explaining to 'the young lad' who is off around the world that if he goes over 1 year 10 months a wandering that he will have to insure daddys car simply to protect his no claims bonus and that he is on his own at 3 years and 10 months because daddy then has his own no claims bonus to protect and needs to renationalise 'the young lads car' to do so.

The last time I drove to the centre of Dublin and parked a car there for the night was around 2009. I just don't do that any more, too much hassle. I take the bus.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I live in the country BUG. :)

Ugh, you're a culchie sponge_bob! I knew there was something wrong about you! :tongue2:

My biggest recent car related problem was explaining to 'the young lad' who is off around the world that if he goes over 1 year 10 months a wandering that he will have to insure daddys car simply to protect his no claims bonus and that he is on his own at 3 years and 10 months because daddy then has his own no claims bonus to protect and needs to renationalise 'the young lads car' to do so.

The insurance thing is a huge impediment to getting your own car in your twenties. Situations like that exist across the country as it would be otherwise too expensive for young people (especially men from places like Donegal) to insure their car. In fact in many cases the insurance premium can be higher than the value of the car since it was purchased second hand on DoneDeal or somewhere similar.

The last time I drove to the centre of Dublin and parked a car there for the night was around 2009. I just don't do that any more, too much hassle. I take the bus.

I live in Dublin and can completely understand that. I take the bus in every morning and that's stressful enough sitting on the top deck wondering why you're not moving. That's with the benefit of bus lanes in most cases. It can be such a congested city sometimes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the other hand, 25% of the population live in Dublin and almost 50% in its Metro Area. Yes, Ireland is sparsely populated but with such a high population living in and around one city with relative high density, we could do much better when it comes down to using alternative methods of transportation to the car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts