...North Adelaide may lift its skyline
June 09, 2012 10:00PM
An artist's impression of what Brougham Place in North Adelaide could look like.
A $150 million development with boutique shops, restaurants and apartments is the first major project expected to lift North Adelaide's skyline under new planning laws.
The proposal, lodged with the state's Development Assessment Commission, details plans to bulldoze the Brougham Plaza block on the eastern side of O'Connell St and build four mixed-use buildings ranging from six to 12 storeys.
The development, tentatively named Brougham Gateway, will feature:
TWO levels of retail, cinemas, food outlets and health and beauty practices on 5400sq m;
A THIRD floor of offices;
UPPER levels occupied by apartments overlooking a paved pedestrian plaza, with outdoor dining, landscaping and water features;
TWO levels of undercover parking for 280 cars.
Under previous planning rules, developers could only build up to three storeys on O'Connell St.
But the State Government's recent reforms now allow developments of six storeys or more along parts of the strip.
Mr Hannaford - who was the original architect behind Rundle Mall - said the "timeless" and "neighbourly" Brougham Gateway development, would complement North Adelaide's heritage buildings and cater for footy fans.
"We want to be like the East End in Adelaide - have that drawcard characteristic with an active street level," Mr Hannaford said.
"This is one of the best sites in this state, if not broader, and we would like it to become a centre of gravity for wider Adelaide."
Mr Hannaford said work on stage one would start as soon as approvals were granted.
Stage One includes finishing work on the building closest to neighbouring Lincoln College and a restaurant and bar at the corner of Brougham Place and O'Connell St.
The block is 150m from the former Le Cornu site, which has languished since it was bought by developer Con Makris in 2001.
It remains a grassy, undeveloped site, despite Mr Makris' plans for a $170 million, multi-storey hotel, apartment and retail complex.
A Makris Group spokeswoman said he remained committed to developing the former Le Cornu site but a start date was under review because he was assessing the State Government's planning reforms and wanted to "ensure the economic conditions are right".
The Sunday Mail last week revealed a $240 million plan to transform Sturt St into a cosmopolitan precinct with a bike path, wider footpaths for outdoor dining and a tramline extension.
The street upgrades have been proposed to support a major multi-storey, mixed-use development with 427 apartments and ground-floor space for retailers and food outlets.