SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my summer road trip to north east England and Scotland, unfortunatly when we got to scotland it started raining so we came home early missing the scottish cities of Sterling, Dumfries, Aberdeen, Inverness then the highlands, Glasgow, the lake district and Liverpool. oh well another time. BUT i did stop off at Leeds, York, Castle Howard, Scarborough, Whitby, Durham, Newcastle, Alnwick, Bamburgh and finally Edinburgh...now on to pictures!

Leeds

Leeds, an interesting city with some great modern architecture overshadowed by one or two horros that UK forumers cant let go of. Its having a new shopping cetner built so the center was a bit dirty and felt disjointed with work to the pedetrian realm behind other UK cities IMO, but it still has the best town hall ever IMO!

I believe this was the corn exchange, now has posh restaurants and some shops

Inside ^

Very grand building

Retail heart of Leeds revolves around a series of interconected arcades, with some high end shops indicating the wealth of the city

City hall

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Leeds

Library and gallery on the left was reall beautiful inside, lots of victorian carvings and stained glass

Thsi si the armouries museum, this is the view up the central atrium seen through mirrored pannels

Next up York

·
Gotta lite?
5,987 Posts
Pretty cool, thanks. I'm going to have to visit Leeds one day. I don't know how I can fit it in, but it really looks like a nice town.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Looks fantastic!

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, makes posting worth while! I'd say leeds arcades were grander than Cardiffs geoff189d as Cardiffs are older and more independant than high end (i do preffer Cardiffs though as they are like stepping back in time and contrast the modern shopping areas). I was surprised how many tourist groups were going around Leeds Justme so you wont be alone!

York

The old castle, great views from the top but a bit extortionate just for an empty rouind tower (i suppose York being on the tourist trail means prices are slightly inflated)

In front of the castle is this civic collection with a museum, courts etc

Before the crowds!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wonderful images, thanks guys!

·
Gotta lite?
5,987 Posts
York also looks really nice. Cardiff, do you have links to the arcades in Cardiff that you speak of?

·
Registered
25,236 Posts
Leeds has certainly a lot more to show than most people would think. The arcades look fantastic.

And York is a classic. :bow:

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
York

A trip to the top of the tower, lots of steps up a narrow winding staircase (not for the claustrophobic)

We walked out but came back to use the toilet (tickets let you come back as many times as you like), and discovered this room where a childrens choir was singing, was one fo the most beautiful sounds

·
COYS
1,699 Posts
Great shots Cardiff! The Leeds arcades look very impressive, and as does that Cathedral in York. I'll be following this thread very closely as you go through some of my fav UK cities.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
York also looks really nice. Cardiff, do you have links to the arcades in Cardiff that you speak of?
Sorry missed this one due to the spam! Check this thread out, it has some pictures of them

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=512001

Im mooving back in the next couple of months so will be taking plenty of pics then

Thanks for the comments, which of the places have you been to Conor?

York

little church hidden behind buildings

whos floor is completly all over the place

This area is know as the shambles

1 - 20 of 166 Posts