SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Phase one of NoHo Commons, the J.H. Snyder Company’s $200 million, mixed-use development, is centered around the North Hollywood Red Line subway station. The project is a model for the creation of a vibrant, transit oriented development ("TOD"), featuring a combination of pedestrian-friendly design, live-work spaces and neighborhood-serving retail. The first phase of the project, currently under construction, will encompass 438 residential apartments. The second phase, also under construction, will include 278 loft residential units, 20,000 square feet of live-work space, and 60,000 square feet of retail space including a gourmet food market. The centerpiece of the project is the North Hollywood Metro Line Station, which anchors the commercial core and welcomes both residents and visitors to NoHo's acclaimed arts district. The J.H. Snyder Company’s vision for the site is that of a 24-hour environment. NoHo Commons is expected to have a strong appeal to people working both in the entertainment industry and related fields. The project is within easy walking distance of the Academy of Television Arts, immediately north of Universal Studios, and immediately west of Burbank—the headquarter city of Walt Disney Company and Warner Bros., and the West Coast operations of NBC. Completion of phase two is expected in the spring of 2006. When completed, phase three, including a 200,000-square-foot office building and additional retail space, will complete the NoHo Commons vision.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20061120005750&newsLang=en

Here are images of the North Hollywood TOD project from Curbed LA. I couldn't get my bearing from these photos---where's Lankershim and Magnolia, where's the Red Line subway station?

We've been provided with the above rendering in order to alleviate mass confusion about the NoHo Commons and the proposed Laemmle Theater. If you squint real hard, you can see the sign for the Laemmle in the center of this rendering. Signage is half the battle.
[Curbed LA]

From the Press Release files, we bring you an update on the J.H. Snyder planned master re-doing of North Hollywood. As if the CPK and Cold Stone Creamery weren't enough to delight the artsy crowd, J.H. Snyder has announced plans to bring in an 1,100 seat Laemmle Theater with seven screens, a new office building, and 150 more residential units.

And for those of you ready to jump on the NoHo train now, The Gallery at NoHo Commons has begun accepting applications for its 1 and 2 bedroom units, with an opening date of "Fall 2006". The lucky few who sign up to pre-lease a unit will receive a MacBook upon move-in. While it's tempting, we say wait until they up the ante. Give us a PS3 and we might make the jump over the hill.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Do you have any other info about the project in general? Is it a mixed-use complex?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
why do those two renders look like completly different places?

as far as the berrings i would say for the first picture that lankershim is the left right running street. chandler goes down the middle and magnolia would be off to the left.

hell if i know about the first picture that does not even fit the street layout of lankershim

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
botox, okay, you're right...looking at the top photo, i think the TV academy is the tall bldg on the right side, so lankershim is the road from the bottom left to top right?

the top one is the latest and looks a bit more contemporary. hard to tell from the bottom photo, seems like the style are mixed....

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
wait... i mean that for the second picture... the first one i would think would be opposite because that is the hollywood sign hill in the far background

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
This project is part of an effort to create "urban villages" near metro stops. That's what Villaraigosa envisions.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
as a former SF valley resident. a current SF valley worker. and friend of a current resident
i have to agree with fullerton

·
Angeleeeeeeeno
1,720 Posts
although I completely agree with creating more housing around metro stops, this project looks to fall short. Why are they only 3-4 story buildings? Why not build something higher? Are there rules and regulations for that? Or is there not enough demand? My first thought is that demand will absolutely be abundant.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The NoHo Arts District will finally become another major entertainment option for people and part of the spine that connects DTLA, Hollywood and Universal City.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
The NoHo Arts District will finally become another major entertainment option for people and part of the spine that connects DTLA, Hollywood and Universal City.
It's amazing how a single heavy rail line can transform things. Just think if we would build like 7 or 8 more! Shit, just think what the extended Purple Line to SM would sprout around it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts