SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
"... Having considered the report, the Mayor has concluded that the principle of a large-scale office based development is supported, as it will complement London’s world city role as an international financial centre. However, there are a number of strategic planning matters that are either unacceptable and need to be resolved, or need further consideration, before the Mayor considers the application again. These matters are highlighted below and set out in detail in the attached report:

• Local recruitment, training and procurement during construction and operation should be secured by condition or agreement.

• The proposal does not comply with the London Plan’s policy for mixed uses within the Central Activities Zone. In order to satisfy the requirements of this policy a contribution towards the off-site provision of housing should be agreed.

• Consideration should be given to the relationship of the development with the proposed Mayor’s 100 Public Spaces project under West India Quay Docklands Light Railway station and the footpath along Aspen Way.

• There are concerns regarding noise and air quality.

• An appropriate condition to safeguard the site as a Crossrail construction site must be agreed.

• There are also transport concerns relating the location and amount of cycle parking, public transport capacity and need for improvements, the need for an audit of pedestrian routes and subsequent improvements, dedication of public highway and public rights of way and the need for a travel plan.

• Appropriate compensation is required for the partial loss of the Site of Interest for Nature Conservation.

• An access statement should be produced.

• Inadequate consideration has been given to sustainable development issues. In particular, renewable energy technologies should be incorporated into the development.

·
Large Member
1,128 Posts
Site of interest for nature conservation? It's just a bloody car park at the moment, what nature are they talking about, pigeons?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
• An appropriate condition to safeguard the site as a Crossrail construction site must be agreed.
That could be the main issue. If Crossrail want to use the site and if they mayor wants them to use the site, they may have to wait until 2013 before starting this one at the earliest.

It would make sense to have it as a main construction site for Crossrail though - it's a big flat undeveloped plot right alongside the proposed route.

·
Ho hum
2,936 Posts
Nasty, bland, badly proportioned inelegant corporate boxes.

Still - this is a very early render I believe (hope) so I suppose I should reserve judgement for now.

·
Registered
24,250 Posts
The Crossrail station has been designed to sit on the water of the dock, and the tunnels don't pass under the site, so I have no idea why this is a problem.

But the whole development is crap anyway, too tall and once again is dedicated to 'facing inwards' towards Canary Wharf. I've never been a fan of this one.

Sounds like Canary Wharf need to buck their ideas up.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can't say i'm their biggest fan. I don't like that random mid rise bit and the towers seem to lack a bit of detail. The cladding on the right hand one looks like glorified bank street stuff. I think they could do better.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
• Appropriate compensation is required for the partial loss of the Site of Interest for Nature Conservation.
Eh? Maybe they are talking about the weeds or the trees in those big pots........

The design of the two taller buildings is a bad as the crap on Bank Street.
And the design of the smaller tower seems pointless. Why does it need all those random shapes?

·
Registered
24,250 Posts
The left tower looks like it will have the same cladding as Moorhouse with the alternating vertical strips. Passable I guess. Remember though the tower is square, except for the one curved edge shown here.

The right hand tower, the more I look at it the more it reminds me of Centrepoint. Truly horrific. I can't understand how the cladding just 'ends' at the top, with the roof cutting through the windows. Bizarre. Again, only the side facing Canary Wharf is curved. The back of both towers is a flat dull facade.

The middle block seems to have too much going on.

But I do like the red colouring on the base, I like the Alsop designed bridge, the pedestrian link onto Aspen Way, and the 'possibility' of restaurants and shops along the Dock front.

But the rendering is shit. Why is the Aspen footbridge there, when it should be obscured by the towers? Plus, where's the Crossrail station? It's been designed to float on the Dock and be accessible from each side, as well as the Alsop Bridge.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
I would like to find out more on Mayor Kens idea for a new square around West India Quay station- sounds interesting. That area is a right wind swept desolate space at the moment. I would have assumed the station will probably have been re-developed anyway like Heron Quays has been as all the new towers in NQ & Columbus would increase the amount of people using the station. NQ needs a quality enviroment to compliment the rest of WIQ, lots of restaurents, bars & the like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts