SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you place the almost elusive like boundaries of the North Shore? Sure we can all agree it north of Chicago on Lake Michigan. But where specifically?

Some real estate folks call their sites "North Shore" even though they are well inland...to cash in on the panache of the name. North Shore magazine meanwhile covers not only the North Shore, but the whole North and NW suburban area.

Traditonalists will tell you the North Shore suburbs must be along the lake from Evanston to Lake Bluff. These folks often see Evanston as a transition between North Shore and city. Highwood is viewed as being on the North Shore but not of the North Shore.

Others are comfortable including suburbs one town in from the lake: Glenview, Northfield, Northbook, Deerfield. Except for the lack of lakefront, these towns are very much like lakefront communities and are integregally tied to it.

Skokie, though one town in from the lake, doesn't seem to get North Shore status, although Old Orchard has long been viewed as the North Shore's shopping center.

As North Shore applies to life style and income more than geography, it would be rare to see anyone give North Chicago or Waukegan the status of a North Shore location, terribly snobby though that may be.

SO, WHERE DO YOU PLACE THE BOUNDARIES OF THE NORTH SHORE?

·
Registered
838 Posts
The whole North Shore thing annoys me to be honest. Like edsg said, it has nothing to do with location and everything to do with status. People like to think their community is in some way better than the surrounding areas if it is part of this exclusive "north shore".

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i spent the first two decades of my life exiled up on the north shore.

never again. ;)

as for the thread topic, evanston has minorities, and not just pro-athlete minorities either, so it's out. the evanston people i know kinda shun the whole north shore identity as well. evanston is like a world unto itself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great topic Edge, here is my opinion.

North Shore includes:

Parts of Evanston
Wilmette
Winnetka
Kennilworth
Glencoe
Highland Park
Lake Forest
Lake Bluff
Northbrook
Deerfield
Parts of Glenview
Bannockburn
Riverwoods

Please feel free to add if I missed

Now my wife grew up in Lincolnwood and trust me, there is a "snobbery" that I get to deal with on her parents side and friends from Lincolnwood, Edgebrook, Saugunash.

Arlington Heights is usually known as the gem of the northwest suburbs

Hinsdale and closely surrounding area are known as the "northshore of the western suburbs."

Naperville is also getting a reputation of snobby.

Now does this mean everyone in all these places are like this, of course not.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Historically, Rogers Park and Edgewater use to be considered part of the "North Shore." A lot of businesses in the area include "north shore" in their titles - "north shore cleaners," "North Shore Shoe Repair," Etc. There's also a street in Rogers Park named "north shore" ... and a park ... (not too sure about that one).

Chicago's neighborhoods and their loss of "north shore" status only strengthens arguments that the North Shore is a term closely related to wealth + Race and not geography. Back in the day, Edgewater and Rogers Park use to be wealthy neighborhoods. The old Edgewater Hotel use to anchor the area's wealth. Interestingly, as wealthy white people left the area flocking furhter north to Skokie, Glenview, and other places, they brought the "north shore" title with them ... and left new residents in Rogers Park + edgewater without it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Steely Dan said:
as for the thread topic, evanston has minorities, and not just pro-athlete minorities either, so it's out. the evanston people i know kinda shun the whole north shore identity as well. evanston is like a world unto itself.
Evanston likes to promote itself as the dining and entertainment capital of the north shore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts