SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
North York - one of Toronto burb on steriods

All the cities in the map below where merged into form the new bigger toronto in 1997, North York was the city just north of the old toronto and most of the pics are of North York City Center which is at yonge and sheppard

2001 population of the former cities
Toronto - 676,352
North York - 608,288
Scarborough - 593,297
Etobicoke - 338,117
York - 150,255
East York - 115,185
(was a borough of the old city and the only member that was not it's own city)

The new City of Toronto - 2,481,494

This map just shows the relative spot of the new city to the other suburbs in the area

GTA population ~ 5.5 million

Now i present my little trip arounf NY City center

Downtown toronto as seen from NYCC

The rest of the pics are not mind but nice shots of North Yorks skyline

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Great pics...thanks. That Sheppard Line connection has really helped things along.
When, if ever, they extend the Sheppard East to STC and west to the Spadina line that area will explode.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
^It might take some pressure off of Yonge, thats for sure. I'm not sure if it would make developement occur at a much faster rate though.

Great pics YouAretoBlame, btw you should update your signature. Emporis has added a couple completed buildings to their listings.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"It might take some pressure off of Yonge, thats for sure. "

I don't see a western extension of the Sheppard line to Downsview helping relieve the Yonge line much at all. What Yonge needs is an eastern relief line.

KGB

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Well, yea...it sure as hell aint no Kensington the Beach, that's for sure.

But hopefully, when the dust settles, there might be some street life there. The whole place has no 19th or early 20th century built form to fall back on...in fact, it has hardly any late 20th century built form to fall back on either. LOL.

Perhaps once the urban demographic is well established, it will, as a market, demand that kind of thing, and the developers will reply in kind. But hey...beats the hell out of a sprawling suburban mess.

KGB

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
SOOOO good!

It just keeps on building doesn't it? I'm liking it.
Needs more of a 'downtown' atmosphere though, and less resies...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ alot of those buildings are officeis not residential

most of the buildings in the pic below are offices

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
This theatre has and streetfront retail is good for a downtown streetscape- VERY downtown Vancouver-ish... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts