SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
North York was one of the 5 former suburbs that were merged with the city in 1997, North York city center is it's downtown where there are an amazing number of skyrise condo's going up

All the cities in the map below where merged into form the new bigger toronto in 1997, North York was the city just north of the old toronto and most of the pics are of North York City Center which is at yonge and sheppard

2001 population of the former cities
Toronto - 676,352
North York - 608,288
Scarborough - 593,297
Etobicoke - 338,117
York - 150,255
East York - 115,185
(was a borough of the old city and the only member that was not it's own city)

The new City of Toronto - 2,481,494

This map just shows the relative spot of the new city to the other suburbs in the area

GTA Population ~ 5.5 million

Now i present my little trip arounf NY City center

Downtown toronto as seen from NYCC

The rest of the pics are not mind but nice shots of North Yorks skyline

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heh, my aerials of Toronto I took over Xmas show up in the strangest places.... :)

Nice pics though, I rather like North York actually!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hey You are to Blame, I'm looking at your pics and you are seriously freaking me out. You took two photos that show my late grandparents' condo. It is about 100 meters from one of the Shepard Station entrances. The Shepard line was just being dug up when I visited last.

When I started coming to Toronto in the summers back in about 1979, the only buildings in the picture below were the brown ones on the right, above Shepard Mall! The Madison used to have an 8 screen movie theater and one of the first sushi restaurants I ate at. I know the theaters are gone now.

We used to walk up Yonge to a restaurant called "The Fire Pit" which made some pretty decent hamburgers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We used to eat at Fire Pit as well. Originally it was next to a fire station (which has been gone for about 20 years) at Empress/Yonge. For a short time it moved farther north on Yonge (near Video Superstore, Pirri's Fruit Market), but it's gone completely now. Good burgers tasted just like Harvey's.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Is the Fire Pit still around? It was actually a pretty good greasy-spoon chain...I used to eat nothing but when I had my first apartment out at Eglinton & Keele...why I'm not 400lbs with diabetes and high colesteral I don't know. LOL

I used to live near NYCC even earlier than 1979...like about 1971...and the only thing I remember was the Red Barn on Yonge...this was before the subway and I used to take the bus up to the big indoor pool at the community centre around the civic buildings. Maclean Hunter was still operating out of it's headquarters...and that was about it...pretty suburban territory back then.

KGB

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Their apartment had a great view, being on the 21st story, and it looked straight north up Yonge. I have seen most of those buildings in the photo I reposted above in one stage of development or another.

I also used to go swimming at the enourmous indoor pool at the North York Community Center. It must be about the size of 4 olympic pools, and it has a hot tub the size of a medium sized pool.

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
most of those buildings look like condo's, i know you said they were, but whats the deal with high-rise condo's in TO?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
maechile said:
most of those buildings look like condo's, i know you said they were, but whats the deal with high-rise condo's in TO?
Metro Toronto puts some sort of magic dust on people when they move there. They no longer want to live on terra firma (the ground), but want to live in high-rise condominiums. I loved spending my summers 20 stories up. Makes you feel like your above all the problems in the world. :) I'm now going to spend a few minutes reminiscing about my adolesence. :cheers:

·
Registered
90 Posts
He's probably talking about the lack of apartments. Toronto seems to be the only city of it's size which seems to be so mainly focused on Condo's.

They look very nice, but they're starting to get rather repetitive, the designs are all very familiar in appearance.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
"whats the deal with high-rise condo's in TO? "

There's so many of them, because they are pretty cheap to buy...why rent when you can own?

KGB

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Houses in North York, at least, are very expensive. I have seen a lot of houses bought for a lot of money and then leveled so the owner can build a much bigger house that almost fills up every square foot of the lot. They look ridiculous next to the other houses in the neighborhood. It also breaks one of the cardinal rules of owning property: Never buy (or build in this case) the most expensive house in the neighborhood, but rather buy the cheapest house in the neighborhood.

But, KGB is right, highrise condos in metro Toronto seem to be surprisingly affordable, especially when compared to houses. There also don't seem to be many newly built apartment buildings around either. I think that as you get closer to downtown there are more apartment buildings, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Nick in Atlanta said:
We used to walk up Yonge to a restaurant called "The Fire Pit" which made some pretty decent hamburgers.

Ah. . .the fire pit. So many memories.

Anyway, North York Centre is not just a residential commuity with tightly packed condos, a lot of the buildings in this pictures are office buildings.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
raymond_tung88 said:
North York is probably one of Toronto's leading suburbs... If I'm correct, I think its considered Midtown?
Bloor and Yonge is midtown and NYCC is pretty far from it. NYCC isn't uptown either thats eglinton and yonge i believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts