Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USING THIS COMMUNAL AREA OF THE NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM . . .

Recently, a thread has been set up in this 'communal area' of the forum, called "Northumberland Area Developments - Areas NOT covered on the Newcastle Forum"

That thread covers the areas in the 'extreme-West' and 'extreme-North' of the County of Northumberland.

Those areas have 'urban-development' issues, like any other area, but they are either not actually covered by the Newcastle Metro Area Forum (they are outwith the remit of that forum) or they are simply not easily covered on there, because they are not 'identifiable' with the Metropolitan Area.

I feel that there may well be a similar situation in certain areas of North Yorkshire, where there are small developments and relevant issues for discussion, that do not readily fall to be covered by the Teesside forum.

If so . . . they can be covered, and discussed, in this thread.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would be interested to know what people think about this.

Would this thread be the appropriate place to discuss developments and urban type issues in the North Yorks areas of Guisborough and Saltburn?

Or should they be covered on the Teesside Forum?

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motorway upgrade falls victim to cuts
The North Yorkshire News, 08 December 2010

The A1 near Rainton before work started on
upgrading the road between Dishforth and Leeming.

THE planned upgrade of the A1 between Leeming and Barton from a dual carriageway to a motorway has fallen victim to Government cuts.

Widening of the road further south, from Dishforth to Leeming, is already underway and will be completed but the Leeming to Barton phase – due to start in 2014 – has been cancelled.

Defending the decision, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said: "I do not want to encourage further spending on schemes that have no realistic prospect of going forward within the next 10 years, as that money could be spent on live schemes and getting work done rather than on people sitting in Highways Agency offices designing and re-designing schemes that will never happen."

Regional business leaders have condemned the scrapping of the scheme and branded the decision "very confusing".

Nick Pontone, policy director of Yorkshire and Humber Chambers of Commerce, said: "This part of the A1 is the 'missing link' in the vital north-south trade route for Yorkshire.

Read More - http://www.northyorkshirenews.com/north-yorkshire-news/Motorway-upgrade-falls-victim-to.6616832.jp

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Potash mine plan near Whitby offers jobs bonanza
by Mike Hughes, Evening Gazette, January 18th 2011

PLANS have been unveiled for a new potash mine near Whitby - the first in Britain for more than 40 years.

The project started yesterday when UK-based mining business Sirius Minerals bought York Potash, a private UK business that holds interests in substantial mineral rights around the Scarborough and Whitby area.

Sirius is a renowned expert in potash exploration and development and already has three other potash projects in Australia and the USA.

By acquiring York Potash, Sirius now controls sufficient mineral rights to undertake test drilling and seismic surveys to investigate the viability for the new mine.

The only other potash mine is nearby Boulby. Subject to successful completion of the surveying work, Sirius will draw up plans for a mine head and accompanying infrastructure.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...ar-whitby-offers-jobs-bonanza-51140-28005872/

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anger at late changes to A1 services plan
North Yorkshire News, Thursday January 6th 2011

RESIDENTS have complained to a public inquiry in Ripon about last minute changes to plans for a proposed motorway service area on the A1 near Boroughbridge.

The changes include new plans for a sewage treatment works that will disperse effluent into the countryside surrounding Kirby Hill.

Developer Heather Ive Associates has been seeking permission to build a motorway service area close to the village since 1996.

The latest plans were promoted on the basis that there would be no access from the proposed development onto the local road network and that sewage would be disposed of via a new sewer to the Boroughbridge Waste Water Treatment Works.

In 2009, Harrogate Borough Council refused permission for the development. Heather Ive Associates appealed and has now changed the plans to include the option of local accesses onto the A168 and the B6265 Ripon Road and an on-site sewage treatment plant.

Local residents have complained about the changes to the developer and to the Inspector chairing the public nquiry being held in Ripon into the provision of motorway seervices on the A1.

Read More - http://www.northyorkshirenews.com/news/business/anger_at_late_changes_to_a1_services_plan_1_2904136

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Would this thread be the appropriate place to discuss developments and urban type issues in the North Yorks areas of Guisborough and Saltburn?

Or should they be covered on the Teesside Forum?

I would think that both of those places could logically be covered on this thread.

Please feel free to post any relevant issues . .

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Guisborough Magistrates' Court closes its doors
by Simon Walton, Evening Gazette, April 15th 2011

Staff pack Guisborough Magistrates' Court for the final day

IT’S the end of an era as Guisborough Magistrates’ Court closes its doors for the final time.

Technically, the court is designated Langbaurgh East Magistrates’ Court - but most people refer to it as Guisborough - and the town has always been very proud of having its own facility.

The present court, established in 1968, is a victim of cost cutting measures, decided by Justice Minister Jonathan Djanogly.

Following public consultation on proposals to close 103 magistrates’ courts and 54 county courts last year in England and Wales, the Government decided 93 magistrates’ courts and 49 county courts would close.

Now it’s Guisborough’s turn - and a sad day too. After consulting legal staff, the Gazette can reveal that a staggering total of more than 135,000 cases have been heard there over the last 43 years - an average of about 60 each week.

Read More - http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t...loses-its-doors-84229-28524255/#ixzz1KWMTK7ai

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mixed response to £23m Brotton development vision
by Sarah Judd, Evening Gazette, April 23rd 2011

VILLAGERS in East Cleveland have raised concerns over plans for a new £23m retail and housing development, which could create 120 jobs.

Residents in and around Brotton, where developer Taylor Wimpey (Yorkshire) wants to build a new supermarket, residential and care home scheme at Kilton Lane, gave mixed responses to the plans.

The firm and planning consultants England and Lyle were on hand to discuss the proposals at a consultation in Margaret’s Church Centre, Saltburn Road.

Mike Hudson, 63, a retired motor vehicle technician was among those who raised concerns. He said: “I don’t like it very much. They are just making Brotton bigger and bigger all the time.

“It used to be a nice little village. It isn’t any more. They just keep sticking more bits on.

Read More - http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t...elopment-vision-84229-28571789/#ixzz1KWOqlZvA

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Westgate, Guisborough . . . then and now
By Paul Delplanque, Evening Gazette, May 23rd 2011

So much in our area has changed but places such as Guisborough seem to have existed just as they always have been since time immemorial. This is Westgate in Guisborough pictured in a postcard from we believe sometime before the Great War of 1914-1918. This view looking towards the Market Cross end of the street looks at first glance to be little changed from today.

Westgate in Guisborough on a very quiet morning nearly a century ago

The most noticeable feature is the complete lack of any vehicle in the picture, in fact the photograph is devoid of any people which suggests that this may have been taken very early one morning.

The character of the street has not really changed much in the intervening century, the cobbles are still there and amazingly considering modern traffic demands, so are the trees.

However, the buildings on the left in the picture seem to have been subtly altered and possibly rebuilt in some cases. This demonstrates a remarkable sensitivity towards the appearance of Westgate, something that was lacking in other towns in our area, which have seen many old buildings replaced by modern style structures.

Westgate as it appears today, a busy shopping street but still retaining a country town charm. Image courtesy of Google Street View.

The modern photograph shows a busy scene in Westgate, contrasting strongly with the archive picture, with cars parked on both sides of the road and shoppers hurrying by.

Nevertheless Westgate in Guisborough still exudes a peaceful image, which is amply demonstrated by the sleeping dog in the right hand corner of the picture.

Read Article and other 'Gazette' articles - http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2011/05/westgate-guisborough-then-and.html

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Changes in store at Barker and Stonehouse
by Karen McLauchlan, Evening Gazette, September 20th 2011

MIDDLESBROUGH-BASED furniture retailer Barker and Stonehouse has announced plans for a new multi-million pound store in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

The firm has received the go-ahead for plans to relocate from its current site on the St James Retail Park to a new £3m, 35,000sq ft store located at the entrance to the same retail park, formerly home to an Audi dealership.

Managing director James Barker said: “‘Investing so much time and effort in the new store is a display of our commitment to Knaresborough and our customers. We are always striving to improve and invest in the latest innovations – the new Knaresborough store is an example of this.”

Work on site is due to start later this year with an expected completion date of summer 2012.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerc...tore-at-barker-and-stonehouse-51140-29451073/

·
The Legend
13,345 Posts
Changes in store at Barker and Stonehouse
by Karen McLauchlan, Evening Gazette, September 20th 2011

MIDDLESBROUGH-BASED furniture retailer Barker and Stonehouse has announced plans for a new multi-million pound store in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

The firm has received the go-ahead for plans to relocate from its current site on the St James Retail Park to a new £3m, 35,000sq ft store located at the entrance to the same retail park, formerly home to an Audi dealership.

Managing director James Barker said: “‘Investing so much time and effort in the new store is a display of our commitment to Knaresborough and our customers. We are always striving to improve and invest in the latest innovations – the new Knaresborough store is an example of this.”

Work on site is due to start later this year with an expected completion date of summer 2012.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerc...tore-at-barker-and-stonehouse-51140-29451073/
That I imagine will do well there. Recently (in fact I was near there yesterday) I've been going to Harrogate and the surrounding areas including Knaresborough and it's very "middle class" and theirs a lot of money around there. I would imagine the likes of Barker and Stone house will be pretty popular there and I would imagine that it is currently a good performing store.

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guisborough magistrates' court building to be a church
by Mike Morgan, Evening Gazette, February 22nd 2012

IT’S a case of sinners to saints at a famous old Teesside courthouse!

The former Guisborough magistrates’ court building, on Coronation Terrace, is set to be transformed into a church under new proposals.

Ironically, the courthouse saw murderers, sex offenders and many serious criminals remanded there, in its time.

Now it’s going to be a meeting hall for public religious worship, including provision of additional parking spaces.

Redcar and Cleveland Council has granted planning permission after an application was put forward on behalf of Nunthorpe Gospel Hall Trust.

The group has not yet commented on the level of investment needed to develop the building into a church or when it may begin operating.

Read More - http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/gazett...-to-be-a-church-84229-30376855/#ixzz1oOOSBZye

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simply Dutch furniture store shuts
by Ruth Lognonne, The Journal, May 10th 2012

AFTER more than 20 years of trading in North Yorkshire, Simply Dutch is closing its doors. The Leeming Bar store, which sells unusual furniture, homewares and antiques, has run into difficult times because of the recession.

Owner Jason Hadlow, from Yarm, has taken the decision to shut the business, which has been operating at a loss for some time. Around 10 jobs will be lost. He said, "I’ve had to make the really tough decision to shut Simply Dutch. Obviously, I’m devastated as it has a strong history, employs 10 people and has been a big success. We’ve traded not just all over the UK but around the world as well, however, consumer confidence has all but disappeared. People are struggling to buy food, let alone fancy furniture."

“We’ve gone from making £50,000 a week in 2007 to just £5,000 a week in recent months.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...y-dutch-furniture-store-shuts-51140-30935688/

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People living in Rural Areas of Northern England
need an active role in Planning

by David Black, The Journal, August 3rd 2012

PEOPLE living in rural areas should be given an active and leading role in forward planning, if their communities are to thrive and the countryside is to grow, according to a North East academic. Professor Mark Shucksmith says, villagers should be “helped to help themselves”, and to get involved in development plans if rural areas are to prosper and avoid stagnating.

Prof Shucksmith, director of the Newcastle University Institute for Social Renewal, has jointly edited a book – Rural Transformations and Rural Policies in the US and UK – which examines policies and attitudes towards living in the countryside on both sides of the Atlantic. This week he is presenting its final chapter to the World Rural Sociology Congress in Portugal’s capital, Lisbon.

Yesterday he said: “The UK Government is encouraging localism, but it remains to be seen whether it will offer the necessary support to enable all rural communities to respond to this opportunity.”

Two years ago research by the Commission for Rural Communities – Prof Shucksmith was a board member – found the future of the countryside was in jeopardy because a lack of jobs and homes were forcing young people out. Suggested solutions included flexible planning to create more affordable rural housing, new ways to meet rural employment and training needs and a push to improve mobile phone coverage and broadband services in isolated parts.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...iversity-expert-61634-31539644/#ixzz22U6RKq19

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Barker and Stonehouse announce North Yorks expansion
by Graeme Whitfield, The Journal, December 21st 2012

FURNITURE retailers Barker and Stonehouse have announced further expansion with the launch of a new store which has been funded by Barclays. Barker and Stonehouse, established in 1946 and headquartered at Cannon Park, Middlesbrough, will open the doors to its new purpose-built store on Boxing Day at St James Retail Park, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

Managing director James Barker said: “Barclays has been a traditional banking partner for the business for more than 40 years and has provided Barker and Stonehouse with a modern and innovative approach enabling us to build this fantastic new store.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...se-announce-further-expansion-51140-32472167/

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember When: Archive images show inside Guisborough's Burton factory in the 60s and 80s
Evening Gazette, 18th May 2013

Workers in the Guisborough factory in the mid 1980s

Ian Scott, from Guisborough recently wrote to the Gazette, to say that he had recently discovered some photographs of the Burton’s clothing factory taken from November 1964. He said, “I remember that this was known locally as the Guisborough Shirt Factory and it is still known by that name today by Guisborough folk. My nan worked there and I think she said it was owned by Leibermans in around 1949. There is nothing left of the site now, it is a housing estate. In its heyday it was one of the biggest employers of women and girls in East Cleveland.

The Burton factory, as it was, taken from above

“As can be seen in the photograph the company provided tennis courts for its workers, not too many employers do things like that these days. There were droves of buses every weekday evening taking the girls home to Loftus and Lingdale. The smaller building contained the canteen and the offices and on the façade was a large clock, which served as a timepiece and focal point for the whole town. The removal of the clock at the time of demolition caused some consternation in Guisborough. It was a good place to work, the mode of payment, however, was piece work which was hard graft but a good worker could earn really good money. My wife worked there and could earn more in a week than I could as a skilled tradesman at ICI.”

How the site of the former Burton factory looks today, in 2013

Read More - http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/nostalgia/remember-when-archive-images-show-3867352

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Public inquiry into North National Park extensions
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, June 3rd 2013

PLANS TO EXTEND the boundaries of two National Parks in the North of England, will be considered at a public inquiry that starts tomorrow. The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) and the Campaign for National Parks have joined to support extensions to the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales national parks. The inquiry is being held at Kendal in Cumbria.

CPRE president Andrew Motion said: “The landscapes of England are timeless but some landscapes are given special protection because they hold a unique place in the heart of the nation. “The Yorkshire Dales and The Lake District are two such places, and we should take this opportunity to right a historic omission and extend these two national parks. I hope, as I know thousands of others also hope, that the inquiry will recommend the four extensions of these two priceless, breathtaking places, and that the Government will endorse that recommendation if it comes. In doing so, they would leave a legacy for the nation that will be cherished for many generations to come.”

The current boundaries of the Yorkshire dales and Lake District National Parks were drawn up over 60 years ago and left out areas of high-quality landscapes, such as the Howgill Fells in the Yorkshire Dales.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...park-extensions-61634-33419067/#ixzz2V8gVkihE

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I was driving through Catterick Garrison the other day and I wonder if any progress has been made on improving living quarters as some of the flats and houses were in a terrible state a few years ago.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,538 Posts
Granddaughter's pride at Tynemouth lifeboatmen who saved WW1 shipwreck survivors 100 years ago

From today's Sunday Sun/Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...hters-pride-tynemouth-lifeboatmen-who-7984054
Granddaughter's pride at Tynemouth lifeboatmen who saved WW1 shipwreck survivors 100 years ago
Oct 26, 2014 08:00 By Ian Robson

Dorothy Brownlee at Whitby

Pensioner Dorothy Brownlee has a special reason to mark the 100th anniversary of a dramatic sea rescue off the North East coast.

Her grandfather James Brownlee was on the crew of the Tynemouth lifeboat which battled 44 miles through a treacherous storm in 1914 to rescue men trapped on a sinking hospital ship. James was the second cox on the lifeboat Henry Vernon responsible for getting the craft to Whitby where the crew of the stricken Rohilla were waiting to meet their fate.

It was a dangerous journey through seas James was later to admit were mountainous but, exhausted and not knowing what he would find on arrival, he battled on through the surging tempest. He would also have been worried about mines left by the German navy at the start of the 1914-1918 war. More hard work was to follow when the lifeboat reached its destination as, one by one, the surviving crew of the Rohilla were brought on board.

Now Dorothy is set to celebrate her grandfather’s achievements with a series of special events commemorating the heroism of the rescuers at Whitby on Saturday, November 1. 146 of the 229 on board the hospital ship, including the captain and all of the nurses, were saved. They included Mary Kezia Roberts who had, remarkably, survived the sinking of the Titanic two years previously.

Dorothy, 74, of North Shields, said: “The Tynemouth lifeboat was sent because it was a motorised lifeboat and the weather had became too bad for the local rowing boats. My grandad was second cox and the cox was Robert Smith who was known as Scraper. They left at 4.30pm on the afternoon of Saturday, 31st October, and it took nine hours to get to Whitby. They arrived at night and had to wait until daybreak because it was too dangerous to do anything in the dark.”

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...hters-pride-tynemouth-lifeboatmen-who-7984054

·
Super Moderator
22,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Historic Guisborough pub set to get a new lease of life as plans submitted for fresh start
TeessideLIVE, 11th February 2021

The last pints have been pulled at a historic Guisborough pub which looks set to be turned into flats. A planning application has gone in to Redcar and Cleveland Council to transform The Globe Public House into four, two bedroomed flats. The 130-year-old pub stands at a busy route on the corner of Northgate and Bolckow Street, opposite Guisborough Hospital and over the years has been a popular drinking spot in Guisborough. It has stood empty for a number of months and a planning application was put into the council in December to request a change of use from a public house to flats.

The pub currently has a five bedroomed flat upstairs above the bar and lounge area. The plans include demolishing a toilet block and putting an extension on the back of the building. Guisborough Town Council have raised no objection to the plans which have been submitted by a Nunthorpe based company called Thorpland Developments.

Read More - Historic Guisborough pub set to get a new lease of life as plans submitted for fresh start - Teesside Live (gazettelive.co.uk)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts