SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tax avoider
23,944 Posts
From that article:

"The proposed development would see a large supermarket built over a 980-space car park next to the Saints ground."

I've just looked on Google Earth, and I can't see where they mean - the car park behind the Tetley's Stand is pretty narrow, and I thought the other car park belonged to the existing supermarket...

·
The Northamptonian
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The jury seems to be out from most people exactly where a supermarket AND parking spaces would fit. Additionally, this bit of town's already a bit rubbish for traffic - adding a supermarket in too would compound the situation.

Which existing supermarket do you mean? There's the Mecca bingo next door - I've always assumed that it's their car park.

·
Tax avoider
23,944 Posts
Ah, my mistake - I assumed the bulky building behind the Sturtridge pavilion was a supermarket. Though I suppose it's a bit on the small side for that.

I also noticed from looking at Google Earth that the land behind the stand opposite the Tetley's Stand has recently been turned into housing. It seems like a massive missed opportunity - did the club make any attempt to buy a strip of that land for expansion and flexibility?

·
The Northamptonian
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, my mistake - I assumed the bulky building behind the Sturtridge pavilion was a supermarket. Though I suppose it's a bit on the small side for that.

I also noticed from looking at Google Earth that the land behind the stand opposite the Tetley's Stand has recently been turned into housing. It seems like a massive missed opportunity - did the club make any attempt to buy a strip of that land for expansion and flexibility?
Not sure - nor am I sure what was there before those flats went in (assuming you mean the housing around the lift tower).

PS that stand's the Church's Stand (after the posh shoes).

Looking like a good season for rugby in the East Mids! Leicester on course for the Premiership and Heineken Cup; Saints on course for the European Challenge Cup and defeated semi-finalists in the Anglo-Welsh Cup! :banana:

·
Tax avoider
23,944 Posts
Yes, and I'll be at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday with my Bath top on. Wakefield is just where I happen to live and has very little to do with anything at the best of times if it's lucky.

·
Penguin fancier
4,017 Posts
Hmm. Our record against Bath this season stands at one win (24 - 22) at home and a 25 - 21 loss away.

I wouldn't book that ticket for Twickers just yet if I were you :tongue2: And remember... Your win was during a fairly turbulent time in the club's recent history. As you can see from the result on Sunday Cockers has turned the team around. Don't expect us to be a walk over.

BTW. Next year is the Chinese year of the tiger :D

·
Tax avoider
23,944 Posts
Apparently we were shit, but I couldn't tell since I was sat at pitch level behind the posts. All I could see was a line of 30 players between one touchline and the other.

·
The Northamptonian
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
17,000 doesn't sound very ambitious.

That's Phase 1, right? :?
I'd assume so. It'd be about a 30% increase on current capacity, in any case, though the local infrastructure's probably the ultimate barrier to the stadium growing. St James has to be one of the most congested parts of town.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts