SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures from Northern Albania. Although the northeast is Albania's poorest area, the area has an amazing nature.

Kukes, a very small city close to the border with Kosovo. The original city sunk because of the construction of a new dam. The communists build the new city. :

The City of Shkodra:

Its castle

Many of the Albanian cities, (Shkodra, Vlora, Durres, Elbasan, Korca, Berat, Gjirokastra at least) have a small street like this one, usually not influenced by commie architecture for the daily walking. Like this one they need a lot of repair.

The Lake close by

·
Banned
223 Posts
Alba Soul rules :D

Really, if you want us to see these pictures, download them to your computer and than upload them using imageshack.us or some other picture host. Or leave us link to that site, so we can see those pictures by ourselves ;)

Cheers,
-Pavle

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I like the area, but I can see that some of the cities have a large amount of damage. I'm not really sure how it got there, but in order for cities in Northern Albania to become more attractive, it's going to need to get all that out. Hopefully that work will start/finish as soon as possible.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Northern Albania is shitty
Because of the North we get such a bad rap because the rest of the country is deffinitely more immproved
South and Central Albania is night and day difference compare to the North

The nature is beautiful though as you can see

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Some more natural beautie from The North:

Amazing Lura Flowers lakes

Hoti lake of Lura

Although this is Eastern part of the country , Librazhd town has some really nice scenery
This area has some very attractive mountain scenery
A view of Librazhd from sky

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Shkodër is the largest by far , population and area.
Then you have city like Kukës who comes second i believe but Kukës is a total shithole
It is near the border with Kosova and is very underdeveloped
They are building the airport there so it can help boost the city
You also have cities like Lezha and Tropoje who are right behind.
Also Kruja , Skenderbeg's birthplace but that's not really considered North but more of Central-North
I should open a special thread about Skenderbeg's castle , it might be interesting.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Ok Labi , i took it off
I thought it was from the area of the first pic , just a different part but i guess i posted the wrong pic
What are these idiots thinking putting images that are not from Albania?

The pic in that single post is in Kukës , very immpressive ,eh:D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I posted this a long time ago and had no idea where, i thought it disappeared. Anyway, albasoul apparently sucks. Oh, well...
Shkodra is the only major city in the north of Albania. I think the areas where Komani passes are amazing. Has anybody heard about the new half billion euro project, a dam close to the border with Macedonia to solve all of Albania's electricity problems. Usually such dams destroy the environment but earlier dams i think made the area more beautiful by creating huge lakes and rivers at amazing altitudes.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
California EU said:
Why is the northeast so poor? is it because it borders Kosovo?
There is an historic argument and a political one.

When the borders of the current Albania were defined in 1913, people of the northern Albania were not allowed to travel to travel to Kosovo. Kosovo was their main market for northern Albania products so when this got cut the trade was destroyed bringing all the north to an unprecedented economic collapse. In 1924 the democratic government of Father Fan S. Noli proposed free trade zone with Yougoslavia but its government lasted (unfortunately) only 6 months. If the government wouldn't have been turned down by Ahmet Zogu then the things might have been devoping more peacfully in the region.

The political reason is more actual. The north is a right wing region and the government is left wing. The government is doing no public investment in the north leaving it at the the curren situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts