SkyscraperCity banner

881 - 900 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
You maybe right however some of those businesses affected by this may move to NI to have easier access to EU trading.
However I still feel this situation is volatile currently.
Not the GB businesses that NI consumers rely on.

·
saulalvarez
127 Posts
This is the result of Brexit, this is the compromise. NI protocol is the outcome. It was always going to look like this in some form after May's UK wide 'Soft Brexit' deal was voted against. Northern Ireland was always going to get a deal like the one we are now seeing. Very predictable.

If you voted for Brexit, or voted for the DUP, do not vote for them next time. Its that simple. Alternatively, protest or become an activist if you want change.

You may not want to see the DUP 'suffer' but many will and do want to. We don't know how it will look but people will be adversely affected from all of this. The DUP will not suffer financially or personally. It's now up to the electorate if they want to see them suffer politically.

·
Registered
509 Posts
NI's Fintech sector thriving despite everything.

Northern Ireland Fintech Ecosystem Report 2020

According to the Northern Ireland Fintech Ecosystem Report 2020, one in five people working across the financial and tech sectors in Northern Ireland are working in fintech. Whitecap Consulting – which produced the report – found that that equates to up to five times the gross added value than other regions of the UK.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The UK government is working to ensure a "grace period" for supermarkets in NI can be extended to independent food retailers, the NI secretary has said.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wow, that's incredible news. A big show of confidence from Triumph Subsea Services. At over 600ft these will be big ships and also a good sign this MRSS contract from the RFA must be coming to Belfast too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Been browsing and noticed thus - Not sure if its published yet - but is todays date.

Harland & Wolff Selected to Build Two Windfarm Vessels

I saw a few tweets from unverified sources about this had my fingers crossed. Great news.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
This is great news. The new owners seem absolutely committed to development the yard so I'm hopeful there's a great future for H&W.

The UK Govt's commitment to new naval capacity is also a possible win for the yard. Be great to see that bid pull through.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm assuming that when Titanic Quarter is eventually completed, it WON'T encroach in any way upon where Harland and Wolff is situated??

·
Registered
493 Posts
The initial plans had a green space and tennis courts in the slipway I’ll post the image in the tq thread

Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm assuming that when Titanic Quarter is eventually completed, it WON'T encroach in any way upon where Harland and Wolff is situated??

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just a reminder.

Even with a trade deal, Northern Ireland businesses have an advantage over GB firms.

The deal eliminates tariffs for UK businesses trading with the EU.

But only Northern Ireland firms will avoid new regulatory checks because they will still be following EU single market rules.

Northern Ireland may also be able to mitigate disruption at the English Channel ports in a way other parts of the UK cannot.

For many businesses on the island of Ireland, the easiest way to get their goods into the EU is a ferry to Britain, a drive to a channel port and then another short ferry trip.

In anticipation of disruption at the channel, ferry companies have greatly increased their capacity on direct routes to the EU from Irish ports, particularly Rosslare.

This will allow Northern Ireland companies to make what is an intra-single market movement with no new checks or paperwork.

BBC

·
Registered
13,682 Posts

Protocol puts NI in a superb logistical position in two markets and already starting to see benefits for local businesses.

This is only the start. I see the next few years after COVID as being exciting for job creation and serious indigeonous and multinational investment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It’s only good for businesses not the consumer. Do you propose that businesses take priority over NI citizens?

MashDirect have big business in GB. Was surprised to see it in my university city.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It’s only good for businesses not the consumer. Do you propose that businesses take priority over NI citizens?

MashDirect have big business in GB. Was surprised to see it in my university city.
For the short term sadly yes, but long term that is incorrect.
Businesses will relocate here as things stand, and we’ll likely have more choice than before.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #900

Movements from NI to GB continue as normal. NI food companies have been securing and renewing contracts with GB-based retailers.

I should also add that it's private companies that generate the wealth and jobs NI needs. Without successful companies NI citizens are poor and jobless....unless you want everyone to work in the public sector and the province to see no inward investment?

Judging by the recent meeting with the EU and HM Government, the vast majority of those attending from business and civic society were supportive and poured cold water on most of the baseless claims peddled by the likes of the DUP and TUV.

The difficulties are not insurmountable however, it was the UK Government that agreed the deal and then went to the UK electorate with that deal and won a whopping majority. As NI Brexiteers kept saying....it was an UK-wide vote, not an NI vote....as was the General Election in 2019, so I suppose they just have to live with those consequences? Eh?

Curious that most Unionists (capital U) are pushing the blame on the EU and Dublin when all the blame actually lies with the UK Government and DUP. The DUP in recent days seem to have messaging which puts Brexit above the Union. Only have to look at Diane Dodds and her opposition to potential Swiss-style solutions that would resolve issues regarding plants, animals and food as 'that's not Brexit'.....the DUP clueless as per usual.

881 - 900 of 954 Posts