SkyscraperCity banner

921 - 940 of 1018 Posts

·
Registered
13,821 Posts
Maybe things have changed.

I haven't been in an M&S store in a couple of years but if it's changed then that's good. I distinctly remember every single item in their store in the IFSC, for example, was from GB. Even every sandwich was from GB.

It's not so much that the items were from GB as much as there wasn't a choice.

Which is very disorientating living somewhere that produces so much of this same food (I would argue to generally a higher quality as well)

Still the point remains UK multiples have to now look more to local producers which has a benefit throughout the supply chain whether it's chilled meats, cheese, milk, sandwiches and everything in them etc etc etc.

·
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #923
That's just an established supply chain. Greencore is a massive Irish company that actually makes the sandwiches for M&S but their factory is in GB.

Greencore are also the largest sandwich maker in the world....fun fact..

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
M&S in Northern Ireland does not source from local suppliers. The Chicken etc comes from GB. I have looked at the codes and researched it myself.

I was in a M&S store and had a manager complaining about the protocol affecting their meat and poultry when customer was asking about food. I did notice yesterday that M&S was very empty of food myself, so not sure if this is this stupid new regulation that came in recently.

This protocol has had a very negative impact on NI consumers and will continue to do so unless it is sorted out. EU companies cannot replace GB companies, they make different products for a different market.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It’s not good for the local economy to lose choice and options - no. It is terrible to have trade barriers with Great Britain.

·
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #931 (Edited)
M&S in Northern Ireland does not source from local suppliers. The Chicken etc comes from GB. I have looked at the codes and researched it myself.

I was in a M&S store and had a manager complaining about the protocol affecting their meat and poultry when customer was asking about food. I did notice yesterday that M&S was very empty of food myself, so not sure if this is this stupid new regulation that came in recently.

This protocol has had a very negative impact on NI consumers and will continue to do so unless it is sorted out. EU companies cannot replace GB companies, they make different products for a different market.
Yes it does. I know the M&S supply chains very well. Their chicken is supplied by several processors, one of them is Moy Park.

ALL fresh prime meat (steaks, diced, minced etc.) is supplied by Northern Irish farmers.

It also sources from the following companies;
Finnebrogue
Dale Farm
Skea Eggs
Moy Park
Avondale Food
Mash Direct
Green Island
Linden Foods
Karro
Genesis Breads
LacPatrick NI
Glens of Antrim Potatoes
Niche Drinks
Kettyle Irish Foods

Don't come on here to lie when the facts are readily available.

I did notice yesterday that M&S was very empty of food myself, so not sure if this is this stupid new regulation that came in recently.
I was shopping in Belfast store yesterday, loads of food and plenty of choice. I'm going again tomorrow, I'll post some pics.

·
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #932 (Edited)
Doesn't use local suppliers but pays tribute to them....??? :rolleyes:o_O

Doesn't use local suppliers yet NI-produced eggs make up 70% of all egg sales in UK and Ireland M&S stores....:eek:

Doesn't use local suppliers but works to secure RSPCA-assurance for NI dairy farms that supply it with milk?? :unsure::whistle:

Suffice to say I've demonstrated that you haven't a clue..

·
Registered
336 Posts

Surely a bad thing for our local economy that so much came from GB in the past?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Where is your concrete evidence that the majority of people in Northern Ireland support trade barriers with Great Britain. We did not vote on this protocol so you have no evidence.

Do not use Remain votes as evidence. Unionist remain voters do not support trade barriers.
What's your evidence to the contrary? NI protocol doesn't go far enough in my opinion, we should have remained in SM for services and capital as well....

·
Registered
324 Posts
How? The protocol biggest area it deals with is agrifood. Much of that can be sourced locally and the balance from elsewhere in the EU.

That's just supply chain adjustment. It doesn't mean losing choice.
Prehaps my favourite sausages are a GB brand. The EU will shortly deny me the choice to buy that brand.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
But the norn iron brand of sausages will likely be of better quality.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm sure they would be.

But the EU will soon deny me the choice of buying my potentially lower quality sausages from another part of the UK.

What I'm saying is that we need to see more flexibility from their side - on trade east / west as well as north / south

·
Registered
13,821 Posts
Prehaps my favourite sausages are a GB brand. The EU will shortly deny me the choice to buy that brand.
I understand where you are coming from. I understand that for some this is a big change. For some they will never be reconciled with it.

However, I would encourage you to think about the opportunities NI now has as still part of the UK.

Still part of the UK with one foot and the other in the EU with complete freedom of trade. You now have an advantage London can only dream of, that the Scots want desperately and English regions.

It's a competitive advantage that I believe will see an influx of capital and much brighter days ahead.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I understand that for some this is a big change. For some they will never be reconciled with it.

However, I would encourage you to think about the opportunities NI now has as still part of the UK.

Still part of the UK with one foot and the other in the EU with complete freedom of trade. You now have an advantage London can only dream of, that the Scots want desperately and English regions.

It's a competitive advantage that I believe will see an influx of capital and much brighter days ahead.
I see all the opportunities you are talking about and welcome them but we need to see compromises from the EU on east west issues

·
Registered
13,821 Posts
The idea is to diversify away from dependency on GB.

The EU has rules in relation to the single market.

This means change.

You can't have it both ways. The alternative is a border on the island, returning to pre single market, and NI returning to being a pimple on Britain's arse accepting the scraps.

Which do you prefer?

921 - 940 of 1018 Posts