SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've read the producers know what happening up to the end of the saga, in case the author passes away. I guess they could come to an arrangement if the show catches up... Although I'm sure that would be less than satisfactory!

·
reach for the skies
763 Posts
There are only two more books to be published in the series. Season 4 of the show is still only covering the third book! That means seasons 5 and 6 will probably be covering books 4-5, so by the time they're making subsequent seasons, the remaining books should be finished or at least the penultimate one published.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are only two more books to be published in the series. Season 4 of the show is still only covering the third book! That means seasons 5 and 6 will probably be covering books 4-5, so by the time they're making subsequent seasons, the remaining books should be finished or at least the penultimate one published.
I wouldn't bet on it. George is notoriously slow.

·
22,105 Posts
IrishTV: Satellite channel to creates 30 jobs in Northern Ireland

A satellite television station is creating 150 jobs across the island of Ireland, 30 of which will be based in Northern Ireland. IrishTV, based in County Mayo in the Republic of Ireland, is set to begin broadcasting 24 hours day to audiences in Ireland, the UK, Europe and the US. Twelve of the posts will be created at its Northern Ireland headquarters in Donaghmore, County Tyrone.

The firm will also recruit three staff in each of Ireland's 32 counties.

As part of the 15m euros (£12.4m) expansion, every county will have its own weekly 30-minute programme called County Matters, to showcase local issues.

'New platform'

IrishTV's operation in Northern Ireland will be managed by the singer and TV presenter Malachi Cush, who is from Donaghmore. He rose to prominence through the first series of the BBC talent show, Fame Academy, in 2002.

Mr Cush said: "IrishTV is going to provide an exciting new platform on which to profile all that is good about visiting, living and working in Northern Ireland and through the County Matters shows, the six counties of the north will have the opportunity to showcase themselves to a global audience."

The TV company was founded by County Mayo entrepreneurs, Pierce O'Reilly and Mairead Ní Mhaoilchiaráin. The firm is backed by one of Ireland's richest men, the Mayo-born multi-millionaire, John Griffin.

'Irish diaspora'

Mr Griffin is believed to be the 37th most wealthy person in Ireland and recently sold the UK's largest minicab service, Addison Lee, for 360m euros (£298m).

Mr O'Reilly, who is the TV firm's chief executive said: "Securing the deals both with Sky in the UK and Europe and PBS in the US has enabled us to potentially capture a large portion of the Irish diaspora - people who will now be closer to home than ever.

He added: "Through the launch of this new channel we will be supporting local communities and businesses showcase their produce to both local and international audiences, and, importantly, helping local firms achieve their full export potential."

Thirty-four of the 150 new jobs will be based at IrishTV headquarters in Westport, County Mayo.

Ten people will be employed across three UK offices in Manchester, Liverpool and London and five of the posts will be based in IrishTV's first US base in Cleveland, Ohio.

·
22,105 Posts
Top cast for High-Rise as Sienna Miller and Jeremy Irons join Belfast shoot

Two top stars have signed up to shoot a movie in Belfast this year – in yet another show of confidence in Northern Ireland's film industry. Sienna Miller and Jeremy Irons will reunite this summer to shoot the big screen adaptation of JG Ballard's High-Rise.

The pair – who starred together in the 2005 movie Casanova – are the latest high-profile names to join the cast, which already includes Tom Hiddleston.

Filming is expected to get under way in Northern Ireland in July. The movie will be produced by Jeremy Thomas and directed by Ben Wheatley and is the latest major production to come to Northern Ireland to boost our film industry.

Oscar winner Irons, who will also shoot Zak Snyder's Batman vs Superman this year, will play a visionary architect while Miller will play his devoted aide.

The film centres on a new residential tower built on the eve of Margaret Thatcher's rise to power, at the site of what will soon become the world's financial hub. Designed as a luxurious solution to the problems of the city, it is a world apart. Hiddleston's character Robert Laing is a young doctor seduced by the high-rise and its creator, architect Anthony Royal (Irons).

Laing discovers a world of complex loyalties and also strikes up a relationship with Royal's aide Charlotte, played by Miller. Backers include Northern Ireland Screen, Film4 and the BFI, which has invested £1m into the project.

Miller, who is an actress, model and fashion designer, has starred in numerous movies and television projects, including Layer Cake, Alfie, Factory Girl, The Edge Of Love and The Girl.

But the Golden Globe nominated actress is as famed for her personal life as her career.

She was engaged to actor Jude Law, had a dalliance with Bond star Daniel Craig and is currently involved with another British actor, Tom Sturridge.

Star of stage and screen Irons, who won an Oscar for his role in the 1990 film Reversal Of Fortune, has appeared in countless productions such as Macbeth, Brideshead Revisited, Damage, Elizabeth I, The French Lieutenant's Woman and Dead Ringers. He is married to Irish actress Sinead Cusack and owns several properties in Ireland, including a castle in Co Cork.

Producer Jeremy Thomas, who previously worked on David Cronenberg's adaptation of Ballard's Crash, said: "I'm excited to adapt another Ballard book.

"His books are full of so many ideas and to be working with Ben, Tom, Jeremy and Sienna in a movie like this is why I love producing films."

Wheatley added: "I've been a fan of Sienna's since seeing her heartbreaking role in Factory Girl. There's a steely resilience in her performances, and I know she will be excellent in her central role in High-Rise.

"What can you say about Jeremy Irons? He's one of our finest actors and it's very exciting to work with him."

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was in Copenhagen for the Eurovision Song Contest last weekend, which was staged in a massive shipyard hanger in the docks of the city. It was nothing to write home about, but the scale of the production was out of this world. It got me thinking that the Titanic Studios could host something, to the same scale, potentially in the Paint Hall.

Copenhagen was strange, there wasn't much buzz around the city for the event, and they took all banners/posters/countdown clocks down of the night of the Eurovision. Even flying into the airport, you wouldn't have thought a massive european TV show was being staged here. Can you imagine if it was Belfast? The whole of the city would be plastered with events, banners etc..

We've seen a lot of big budget movies being produced here. I'd be interested to see if more TV based entertainment formats e.g. gameshows etc move to the titanic studios. BBC, ITV use Scotland quite a bit to shoot many of their entertainment shows.

It would be fabulous for a big, live, entertainment show to come from the city.

·
22,105 Posts
Ridley Scott's Halo movie being shot in Belfast's Titanic Quarter

One of the world's leading directors, Ridley Scott, is filming a movie based on one of the world's biggest-selling video games in Belfast, Microsoft has confirmed. Scott's hugely-anticipated Halo project, set for release later this year, has been spotted shooting in the Titanic Quarter of the city, with Battlestar Galactica's Sergio Mimica-Gezzan on board as director.

The confirmation comes just months after Microsoft initially quashed rumours of a Ridley Scott Halo film.

However, a spokesman for the company behind the multi-billion dollar sci-fi video game franchise confirmed filming was now under way.

He said: "343 Industries, Xbox Entertainment Studios and Scott Free Productions are currently working on a Halo digital feature project to be released later this year.

"The project will be executive produced by Ridley Scott and Scott Free TV president, David Zucker. Sergio Mimica-Gezzan will direct."

Northern Ireland Screen confirmed it was funding the project.

It is understood filming took place recently at the Titanic Centre and at Belfast's urban sports park, T13. Sources said a massive production was under way.

Details of the project have been closely guarded to date, but according to reports, Prison Break creator Paul Scheuring has written the script while online news organisation The Wrap claims The Good Wife's Mike Colter is to star in the project.

The Halo digital feature is a different project from the television series that Steven Spielberg is working on for Xbox One.

More details about the film, including additional cast, are due to be announced next month.

While the Scott and Spielberg projects are completely separate, Mimica-Gezzan has previously collaborated with the latter, having worked as first assistant director on Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

English film-maker Scott, meanwhile, has worked on numerous movies including Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and Kingdom Of Heaven as well as sci-fi classics Alien, Blade Runner and Prometheus. Halo is set during an interstellar war between humanity and The Covenant, an alien alliance that threatens mankind's existence.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
What attracted them to Belfast in the first place?

·
22,105 Posts
Incentives.
The incentives make up a small portion of what they're actually spending though and the same tax breaks and funds are available throughout the UK. Belfast has developed a rather successful film and tv production industry due to easy and quick access to filming locations, some of the largest sound stages and studios in Europe and a very strong pool of talent in regard to production and post-production.

Whether it be film, TV or animation the sector is growing and growing. It's great to see and now we have a visual effects studio we have the complete package.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They were attracted by the studio facilities and the Northern Ireland scenery, but when they first opted for Belfast they didn't envisage the show running for seven series.

I may comment more fully on this story when I have more time on my hands. But for now - while remarks like this smart, I can sympathise entirely with the underlying sentiment.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The incentives make up a small portion of what they're actually spending though and the same tax breaks and funds are available throughout the UK. Belfast has developed a rather successful film and tv production industry due to easy and quick access to filming locations, some of the largest sound stages and studios in Europe and a very strong pool of talent in regard to production and post-production.

Whether it be film, TV or animation the sector is growing and growing. It's great to see and now we have a visual effects studio we have the complete package.
I know incentives were only one aspect of it but unless I am remembering incorrectly (most likely the case), they were very good incentives to beat the competition.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Even if they aren't mad about Belfast is there really a risk of them leaving? Surely it wouldn't be worth the cost of setting up camp somewhere new.

·
22,105 Posts
Even if they aren't mad about Belfast is there really a risk of them leaving? Surely it wouldn't be worth the cost of setting up camp somewhere new.
One or two executives aren't 'happy' because they're likely a bit bored and don't have much to do as they did in say London or New York.

There's a difference between a few bored executives and HBO itself not being happy, which they aren't. I don't imagine them leaving, they've established a pretty complex support base here for GoT.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I'm all for cosmopolitanism but why is the fact that Belfast isn't cosmopolitan mean we are bad place to make films?

·
Registered
211 Posts
To be fair they haven't actually spoken for themselves.

Wiki tells me one of them is from NY and has a young family. If I was from NY I might conscider Belfast sleepy.

HBO themselves must happy enough, with series 5 on the go.

·
22,105 Posts
I'm all for cosmopolitanism but why is the fact that Belfast isn't cosmopolitan mean we are bad place to make films?
That's not what the article said. He was speaking about life beyond film making.

You're thinking there's more to his comments than there is IMO. He seems to be referring to everyday life not the film production aspects.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If we do lose Game of Thrones surely we WILL get other contracts.

He is right though we aren't cosmopolitan. Maybe nothing will come of this.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts