SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 805 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
from 5th May 2010.

Coleraine FC have passed stage 1 in an application to Sport NI for a £1 million contribution to the Phase 4 Stadia safety campaign.

Plans include:

Replacement of South Terrace (left side of picture) with 1,500 seater stand

New Control room for Police and Stewards

Ballycastle Road terrace (bottom of picture) to be upgraded to all seating

New turnstiles and upgraded entrance and surfaces.

A business case and drawings must be provided to Sport NI before the £1 million grant can be approved.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Recent upgrades at Dixon Park, Ballyclare with funding from Sport NI:

350 seat stand built beside main stand

Six Mile End Terracing raised behind goal and seats installed

New toilet block built along with facilities for media and press above.

credit to http://www.ardsfc.co.uk/

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Championship side Ballinamallard United have had their ground Ferney park going through a phase of development over the course of the last year, with works including a spectator stand, changing rooms, floodlights (non-UEFA) and are having their pitch relaid this summer.

credit to http://apps.bufcsupportersclub.co.uk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Fully completed Canal End stand at Newry showgrounds:

Newry now plan to have the visiting supporters stand that can be seen in the 3rd picture to be demolished and a 650 seat stand built to replace it.

credit to http://www.newrycityfc.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
all of these are good but the one stadium in northern ireland that is just dreadful is windsor it should be completely rebuilt

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
From this picture, you can see there have been improvements made to Windsor Park over the past number of years, namely with the building of the Kop stand.

Here is what Windsor Park looked like in the mid 1980s

The North stand (to the left of the pitch) was constructed in the 1980s and the roof will be replaced this summer, along with the moats being filled in that are in front of these fairly recent stands.

The wooden wing of the South stand (right side of standopposite North Stand with slanted roof) is to be closed on H+S grounds as far as i am aware in the near future.

Here is Windsor Park in 1999 viewed from the opposite corner of above picture.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Fences have come down from the terracing areas of the Coleraine Showgrounds and will be replaced with safety barriers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i dont know how much it is costing, but from what i am lead to believe, it is Ballymena Borough Council that are funding the project as the council owns the Showgrounds and properties surrounding it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Donegall Celtic, Dungannon Swifts and Newry City are to benefit fron new IFA and UEFA funded floodlights for their grounds throughout the course of the next season.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
View from Railway End terracing at Coleraine Showgrounds, fences around the terracing have been removed, however the fencing along the South Terrace will remain as the wall is deemed too small.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Newly promoted Donegal Celtic's Suffolk Road stadium has undergone much redevelopment over the past 18 months, with 2 new stands for home and visiting supporters, new turnstiles, and a media room.

Home Stand

Away Stand

View of ground from Away Stand (media tower beside goal)

View from Media Tower

Home stand from Media Tower

Donegal Celtic will have new floodlights installed in the near future with part of the funding coming from UEFA and the IFA.

There are also plans to have 2 new stands constructed on each side of the pitch beside the home and away stands to join together and create an even look down both the touchlines and cope with more spectators.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jaysus - DC have been busy! Good stuff

I would be intriqued to read the business cases behind some of these - particularly the bigger stands proposed for the likes of Newry and Coleraine - the new stands alone would be bigger than their current average gate. I assume Coleraine's would be helped by the likes of the milk cup but some of the others do seem a tad optimistic.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Some of these developments may, as you say, sound optimistic, however with funding from Sport NI and UEFA now available, clubs have to sieze these opportunities while they are there to be taken advantage of.

With H+S becoming ever more scrutinised and according to the IFA, with attendances showing a small increase (would you believe it) it is nessecary to have the facilities in place or in the long run - risk having grounds closed.

Having these facilities also offers clubs the opportunities to apply for UEFA Lisences, allowing grounds to be able to host European games. There are also more overseas clubs beginning to head to Northern Ireland for pre-season and testimonial games, and to cope with attendance increases during such games, again it is good to have the grounds prepared to be able to cope with higher capacities.

With Sky Sports showing a couple of games every season, each club is paid a fee when they appear Live on TV, this also enables them to finance new facilities.

It is all part of preparing for the future.

·
Registered
779 Posts
As an ever-present NI fan but fair-weather Irish League fan, I think these upgrades all over are wonderful. It will encourage me to attend more games. Let's hope it has the same effect on other fair-weather fans :)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
As an ever-present NI fan but fair-weather Irish League fan, I think these upgrades all over are wonderful. It will encourage me to attend more games. Let's hope it has the same effect on other fair-weather fans :)
I'm with you! Do you block book for matches? I have to say, Donegal Celtic's ground looked awesome. Also, Ballymena is outstanding. Keep her lit!!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Used to block-book, until the price went up to something akin to what the ticket prices would be anyway, thus saving no money and being inflexible.

I've never had problems getting tickets anyway :)

21 - 40 of 805 Posts