SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 805 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
you clearly have never seen the Oval
you don't understand I'm trying to say windsor park is the national stadium of Northern Ireland and that is the one that is representing northern Ireland which is why I think it should have the priority.

P.S. I have seen the Oval

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
you don't understand I'm trying to say windsor park is the national stadium of Northern Ireland and that is the one that is representing northern Ireland which is why I think it should have the priority.

P.S. I have seen the Oval
Windsor Park's primary use is an Irish League ground, not an international stadium, although as it has the biggest capacity it is used for international matches.

I would much rather prefer a modern purpose built stadium somewhere in Belfast due to the fact when i go to Windsor every week around 60% of the ground is empty and there is no atmosphere.

Best scenario would be a new international stadium, with Windsor Park being downsized to meet Linfield's Irish League requirements.

·
Goddess of Winter
2,537 Posts
I know this is kind of off topic, but I have always wondered which football teams people in Northern Ireland generally support? Do you generally go for the teams in the IFA Premiership, or do you also support teams in England's Premier League? Would you like to see a Northern Irish club team represented in the Premier League, for example? Belfast is a pretty big place and I've always wondered if it needed a huge football team.

Sorry this is off topic.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Wouldnt support another countries league or another city's team.

And no, we should not have one big city team to compete in a different league.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sadly, as you noted earlier yourself, you (ripper) are in a minority. The reason IPL clubs are in the shape they're in is because too many people do follow mainland clubs - Old Firm or the big english clubs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sadly i do realise that i am in the monority, but all the big lights and high profile signings on the mainland simply do not interest me, many here may have been to the odd game or two, but the reality is, you have to keep going to get into it. I started off going sporadically, then started going to more games, then became a season ticket holder.

At any opportunity i would encourage as many as possible to go to a few local games throughout the season.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I know this is kind of off topic, but I have always wondered which football teams people in Northern Ireland generally support? Do you generally go for the teams in the IFA Premiership, or do you also support teams in England's Premier League? Would you like to see a Northern Irish club team represented in the Premier League, for example? Belfast is a pretty big place and I've always wondered if it needed a huge football team.

Sorry this is off topic.
There are more Man United supporters in Northern Ireland than supporters of all the local teams put together. Because people usually have no connection to English cities only the top teams get support- ie. Man U, Liverpool, some of the London clubs. Celtic & Rangers get a lot of support but probably only for sectarian reasons, there's no supporters of Scotland's other clubs. No one supports Welsh or Southern Irish teams either.

Local football isnt doing to well. Someone might in England might live in the shadow of a big team's grounds, but never go to see their local team because it's too expensive. Irish League matches are dirt cheap to go to yet most people still don't

·
Registered
779 Posts
If I rember rightly there was talk a few years ago of moving what was then Wimbledon FC to belfast, like a franchise thing to have a big team in the EPL but that Belfast people could get behind. It never took off....

Although the Ice Hockey team has sort of provided us with that, on a smaller scale of course.

·
Goddess of Winter
2,537 Posts
If I lived in Northern Ireland, I would probably try to get behind a local team and go to the matches. I see the appeal to that which Pipper Roo NI mentioned, plus I'm assuming that the players who play for NI teams are not paid enough to make that their "career", so they are playing for pride and enjoyment, rather than just the money. Then again, I also think that if so many people in NI follow the EPL and support English teams, perhaps it would be also good to have a team from Belfast representing them in the Premier League (although it might be tougher getting people to attend the away fixtures). I could see where some of the affiliation towards Man United may come from....i.e. George Best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Many people in Northern Ireland support either rangers or celtic. I know quite a few people go down to local games but really just for fun.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yep it's true, most support the old firm. Sad really as most think Rangers or Celtic really care about NI/RoI. They're two SCOTTISH teams, they don't owe us anything.

As for local fans, yes they're small in number, but what this means is that you have the real genuine passionate fans, and many of the teams in NI are the same. Quality fans, unfortunately not quantity. Maybe the work that has been done around the stadia will help balance this out more.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Cliftonville are getting a 3G pitch into Solitude and will be playing home games at Seaview until the pitch is laid.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Crusaders £14.9 million proposal for a 6000 seater stadium on the North Foreshore has been rejected for European funding by the SEUPB.

Plans included a state of the art 6000 seat stadium, training pitches, restaurant and corprate facilities. The proposal had the support of the Crusaders board, Belfast City Council, politicians and Newington FC, who they had agreed to share the gound with.

Crusaders do not as of yet know the reason the application was rejected, but have said they will appeal the decision.

========================================================================

In the meantime, Crusaders are planning to have 2 new stands built behind each goal at Seaview, the original pictures are alomost a year old so the new floodlights are not in the pictures, i only came across them tonight:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Actually, just thinking about it. Crusaders could still groundshare with Newington in this thought. Thought of a way in which Seaview could still seat 4-600, of course would take a lot of years to complete and a lot of funding, but still by having the 3G pitch available to rent out, there is already a bit of income and funding has already been made available in the past and with the Stadia Saefty programme still ongoing, I would think Sport NI and a bit of UEFA funding could vastly modernise Seaview by Quite a Margin.

Step 1; 3G pitch - Done

Step 2; Floodlights - Done

Possibilities

1 - construct a covered 700 seat stand for visiting supporters at Shore Road end - as per option 1 above.

2 - Build similar 800 seat stand behind opposite goal for home fans.

3 - Within time and if finacial funding became available, during the close season a Security tower with toilet blocks could be built to the left hand side of the stand shown in option 1.

4 - During close-season (summer), demolish old covered terrace and replace with a 2000 seat stand with disabled viewing area. This could also connect with the current club offices, changing rooms, and social club already on site.

5- Further down the line, level the exisiting grandstand, keep the seats and build a stand of similar capacity opposite the one i mention in step 4 and you have a stadium with a capacity of between 5 and 6 thousand seats.

With this kind of development, Crusaders would end up with a modern new stadium and not have to move away from the site of Seaview, could easily obtain a Premiership and UEFA lisence for every season and host non-senior Northern Ireland games. As well as Irish Cup semi-finals and setanta cup finals.

Call me optimistic, but if Crusaders were to lose the appeal for the North Foreshore project, i would imagine that this could be a plan that could take the stadium into the modern age.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Exactly, there's nothing wrong with Seaview that some clever engineering and planning can't fix. No need to move anywhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think access & potential parking issues for 4-6k people would bugger it on planning. Hopping across the motorway provides a far more accessable site and a lot more carparking. Would the immediate area around seaview be overly inviting to the newington fans base?

41 - 60 of 805 Posts