SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 769 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northern Line extension to Battersea Power Station proposed

The latest masterplan for the Battersea Power Station site has been unveiled by the poetically named new owners Real Estate Opportunities Ltd, and includes a surprising transport element:

Treasury Holdings UK is in discussions with Transport for London and other landowners in the Nine Elms about building an extension of the Northern Line from Kennington to bring the Tube into the heart of Battersea.

Looking at the map it's not a completely terrible idea. Kennington is where the two central branches merge so would be a good place to start the extension, most likely from the Charing Cross branch due to the track layout. I'd suggest an interchange at Vauxhall and a possible extension to the massive Chelsea Barracks redevelopment.

With construction of the development not due to start until 2012, it's more likely the site will be sold on again and this plan scrapped. The last owner's masterplan centred around upgrading Battersea Park railway station, which is one stop south of Victoria and a bit useless really.

There's a half finished website about the proposal here, which mentions an exhibition will open at the site this Wednesday.

Update: Today's londonpaper tells of an intermediate stop at Wandsworth Road, which is on the South London Line and one day on the East London Line phase 2 extension..

From http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/2008/06/northern-line-extension-to-battersea.html

I'm not sure. I don't think it's a bad idea in theory, and it would be a very nice alternatie commute for me even. But it seems more fair to go into South-East London from Kennington. Anyway, it's good to see they're thinking about etending it from Kennington once the line is split.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,587 Posts
Sounds a bit like the 'Battersea' idea that was around the end of the 80s. Trains were to run from Victoria Station to a new leisure complex built in Battersea Power Station and were to have a special lighting system that would give the impression of travelling at 150 mph.

That idea came to nothing and, by the time I moved to South London in 1990, the power station had been reduced to the half-demolished hulk that it is today.

I would love to see this building restored but most of the schemes proposed never seem to inspire hard-headed investors with confidence.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,587 Posts
So would this just be like a small link which is 2/3 stops long going into that area?
Just one station at each end as far as I am aware. (This was a scheme in the late 80s and was a serious proposal and, I think was the one that resulted in the partial demolition of the station as part of a reconstruction job). I don't think they got to the stage of ordering the trains.

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
Doesn't seem like much of a point in just doing one station. Might as well take it right across through Chelsea and join up with the other lines.

·
Heres Stokey!!!
47 Posts
Would it be too expensive to continue the waterloo and City line to Battersea,Nine Elms and Wandsworth Rd?

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
^^^^I'm sure they could just use the current waterloo as a terminal and continue the line out to Battersea...but I dout that missing Waterloo is a good idea...

But what ever happens there is gonna have to be some kind of real tight curve as the northern line faces slightly southeast at Kennington on the Charing Cross Branch...

But arn't they trying to reduce the amount of confusing service patterns on the Northern Line with all the various branches etc...this will bring the grand number of terminal up to 5 or 6 if you include Kennington's loop line terminal...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The intention is to split the Northern line in the future.

Currently the Northern line's West End branch has a reversing loop south of Kennington, they could built junctions off of there to the new route to Battersea so technically the tight curve is already there.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
The Waterloo & City Line turns 180 degrees on its way into Waterloo and actually faces east.
which stops another hairpin bend to head to battersea how? The W&C is the wrong line to extend anyway, due the short platforms and trains.

But arn't they trying to reduce the amount of confusing service patterns on the Northern Line with all the various branches etc...this will bring the grand number of terminal up to 5 or 6 if you include Kennington's loop line terminal...
yes, though it'll work like two southern branches, with the junction at Kennington not doing anything - all Morden to Bank all Battersea to Charing Cross - that's easy, and the same as now, apart from Kennington, rather than Battersea. If Camden Town is rebuilt by the time they built any extension from Kennington (likely to be the case), the line will be split fully already.

·
Registered
394 Posts
BUMP.

From Tunnels & Tunnelling International today (subscription):

Plans for Northern Line extension gain momentum

Plans for a Northern Line extension from Kennington to Battersea in South West London are gaining considerable momentum. Project developer Treasury Holdings UK (on behalf of site owners Real Estate Opportunities) is expected to put in a planning application for the associated 8M sq ft of mixed use development at the Battersea Power Station site in the next month or so. T&TI understands that it will also seek tenders for a RIBA Stage C Reference Design contract for the 3km tube extension at the same time. A source close to the £500M tube project told T&TI that the developer will pay close scrutiny to the individuals offered in bid responses and won’t accept a “B team” if top expertise, particularly in tunnelling engineering, has been assigned elsewhere.

Cross-party political backing was thrown behind the tube project late last month as Wandsworth and Lambeth Borough Councils, the Greater London Authority and Transport for London petitioned the Government to consider the extension for an innovative private funding mechanism. The prospect of a privately funded extension to the tube network, south of the river, is proving attractive amongst authorities, especially as it opens up Battersea and Nine Elms to major development and regeneration, building upon the recent decision by the US Embassy to relocate nearby. If all goes to plan, the extension will be completed in 2015/2016.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been hearing TfL would be looking at funding extending the extension to Clapham Junction again, so that's good!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Been hearing TfL would be looking at funding extending the extension to Clapham Junction again, so that's good!
Yup, that's also what the chap who wrote the T&TI piece told me - although decision on that unlikely for a few years after the private part of extension is approved.

1 - 20 of 769 Posts