SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
Probably nothing, but all the trees around Denmark Street CP have come down. Literally, ALL of them have been chopped down. Must be getting on for 30 trees, which, considering this is where the new college is going and the council are planting trees all over Albert and Borough Roads at the mo, seems a bit odd.

They were there in the plans but we'll see...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably nothing, but all the trees around Denmark Street CP have come down. Literally, ALL of them have been chopped down. Must be getting on for 30 trees, which, considering this is where the new college is going and the council are planting trees all over Albert and Borough Roads at the mo, seems a bit odd.

They were there in the plans but we'll see...
Yes, we have been on site getting ready for the start of construction. Keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Remember, if this project is definitely starting to happen, and it is significant enough, and if it is likely to have people taking regular photos of its progress . . . then it can 'evolve' out of the Developments Thread, with consideration given to setting up a named 'Project Thread' for it.
I will be based on site so happy to grab any photos I can.

·
Super Moderator
22,617 Posts
^^^^

This is the new 'Project Thread' for this project, which has also been entered into our Forum Development Summary, as Project 39.

I have also added the relevant Project Thread TAGS (see bottom of thread).

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
Apologies if these are huge. Also apologies if there's a new CCAD thread and I can't find it. Also apologies for picture quality, it's the best I can do on a rainy morning on the back of the 38...

Fencing has gone up and some test holes have been dug. I forget what they're called so I'm going for 'test holes'...

Thry've started digging up the grass verges on the new CCAD site and removing bits and pieces such as railings and so on. It certainly looks looks they're prepping this one and it's moving toward construction.

Might need its own thread, this. Big change coming to Newport Road, after all...

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just adding these progress photos in here. Thanks Handsome C.

Apologies if these are huge. Also apologies if there's a new CCAD thread and I can't find it. Also apologies for picture quality, it's the best I can do on a rainy morning on the back of the 38...

Fencing has gone up and some test holes have been dug. I forget what they're called so I'm going for 'test holes'...

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
And the car park is history...

It's tremendously hard trying to get photos of this because of the giant green fence:

But mainly because I was trying to take this on the 36 over the bumpiest road in the universe:

The chainlink fence now covers the entire CCAD site and the mini-car park to the right, right down to the delivery gates entrance:

On the far side, there's now a yellow sign reading, 'Construction Site'.

We are under construction, people...

:cool:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fantastic. It seems like for decades we've been reading about the need for an impressive western approach to the Boro. Looks like we're getting one, and with a great institution to boot - The Northern School of Art is an institution the town can be proud of.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It was muted the NSA would be located in the proposed Media and Innovation Village on the site of the bus station if it was redeveloped, alas it never happened. Good to see this progressing. Hopefully there's land and plans ready for future expansion.

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
This week on 'Tales from the Service 36'...

Stupid rain. Bit blurry in places. We have this little 'window' in the green fence on the corner. It's great if you're tall. The mounds of soil were really high yesterday, as tall as Sainsbury's if not taller. One assumes CCAD will expand backwards in the future into the other car park and eventually, encompass Sainsbury's.

Lot of curious people on the bus wondering what's going on with this...

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the update, keep 'em coming!

You'd imagine that would be the plan for expansion. It would be great to see the northern school of art building a campus that occupies the whole area from Newport Road to Wilston Street and all the way back to the A66, with some lovely public realm along Newport Road and a public square with St Columba's Church as the centrepiece.

Having said that, the college has decided to base its university courses in Hartlepool and college courses in Middlesbrough. It would be great to see it the other way round IMO and to have two university campuses grow in central Middlesbrough.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's be great for the Boro. I think Hartlepool would really suffer from the loss. They're starting to get a genuine creative quarter. Expand and do degree courses in both would be great.

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
Sadly, the green fencing has gone up all the way around the site making taking photos almost impossible, at least until the steelwork starts going up.

However, they are starting to put up billboard type advertisements on the green fencing advertising courses and so on.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts