SkyscraperCity banner

If you had a choice, what will you do with NW Indiana?

• Give to Illinois...

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Stay where it is at, with Indiana

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Give to Michigan State

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Make it a new state....

Votes: 4 9.1%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about NW Indiana, the part of Indiana that fits more with Chicago and IL than rest of Indiana. Even the time zone is with IL than Indiana...

Discuss about NW Indiana here...

Also, if you have a choice, would you let IL take NW Indiana? Stay where it is at or make it into a new state... what will give better results to NW Indiana, and probably help develop Gary's Intl Airport to "revive" Gary?

Keep in mind... that in the 200 census

La Porte County is 110,106
Porter County is 146,798, but is quickly growing passing 155,000 already...
Lake County is 484,564, but now is passing 490,000....

So an area of over 750,000 people... what would be the better choice of NW Indiana? I know that NW Indiana won't ever, probably choose to go with what state, but I want to see your answers

My personal answer is to either give it to Illinois, so Illinois could pass laws there and help NW Indiana... I will explain more as I have to go now...

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Go ahead, let em have it. The Two-State Megapolis, SuperChicagoland, whatever name they come up with. We should trade it, and in exchange, Indiana would get the bottom half of Illinois.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Like it or not, it is part of ChicagoLand. Same time zone, commuter trains to the Loop, employment base crosses over to each state. The media outlets cover NW Ind the same as Chicago, the Census Bureau includes NW Ind in Chicago. The Pro sports teams of Chicago dominate that region, meanwhile ND is overall the most prominent all around College sport program in Chicago. (let the sports controversies start bombarding the thread) BTW, I would gladly trade away Danville for Merrillville.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Our metro areas often cross state lines and the people within them are often more connected to each other than to their respective states.

there is nothing unique about the Calumet Region among these relationships. In fact, it is not the only such relationship right here in the Chicago Area: Kenosha County is firmely tied to Chicagoland even though it is in Wisconsin.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
NaptownBoy said:
Go ahead, let em have it. The Two-State Megapolis, SuperChicagoland, whatever name they come up with. We should trade it, and in exchange, Indiana would get the bottom half of Illinois.
NaptownBoy-

I am surprised at you! I would never want "da region" taken from Indiana. There is SO much potential in that part of the state. Yes, past legislatures have treated the area like a bastard at a family reunion, but I think that the State is finally realizing its potential. I really hope that the State sinks more money into the area. Indy could use a "counter-part" both economically and socially.

G

·
NEVER. I live in Da Region and i will tell you this...I fucking hate suburban Chicago. I hate the people and everything about it. The city of Chicago itself is great, but never would I want to be even more included than we are with suburban Chicago. I've always followed Indiana news, Indiana sports teams, etc. NEVER. I fucking hate Chicago-area Illinois. We call people from there FIP's. Fucking-Illinois-People. There are tons of them moving to Indiana for lower taxes. They cruise in the left lane and in general are assholes!!!! Those are my opinions though :). I agree with Cory. There is tons of potential for this area. Plus, Indiana would lose access to Lake Michigan, which is a HUGE economic asset that still hasn't been maximized to full potential. Finally, Mitch Daniels is recognizing that a healthy Region is good for all of Indiana. LEAVE IT WITH INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
^ you claim people from illinois are all assholes, yet your post makes you sound like the biggest asshole of all.

did you forget to take your medication this morning?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
i like what wisconsin people call us better
fibs
fucking illinois bastards,
or just flatlanders,
so property taxes and income taxes are lower in indiana?
i know malpractice for docs is cheaper there,
and thats why many work there, and live in illinois,

personally its no biggee,
its part of chicagoland,
so i think the point is moot whether they people moving in are illinois people,
because they are now indianians, its just means that there is an influx of people to the region and the demographics are changing,
which is a never ending process anyways,

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
cwilson758 said:
NaptownBoy-

I am surprised at you! I would never want "da region" taken from Indiana. There is SO much potential in that part of the state. Yes, past legislatures have treated the area like a bastard at a family reunion, but I think that the State is finally realizing its potential. I really hope that the State sinks more money into the area. Indy could use a "counter-part" both economically and socially.
Hey there, I was joking! :bash: Your right, that NW corner is very essential to our culture and economy.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
NaptownBoy said:
I like thew idea of trading the Southern part Illinois for NW Indiana, perhaps in a way so overall state populations remain the same for representation resons. Either that, or have Kenosha County, NW Indiana and NE Illinois form the new State of Chicago and just say **** you to all the lowsy corn-growing, soy-growing and dairy-farming whiny fucks who are keeping this great city down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is silly. Stuff like this happens all over, where a metro stretches across state boundaries, but those areas don't go hopping back and forth between states because of it. So northwest Indiana is a part of metro Chicago and as a result has close ties to Chicago. Big deal. If anything I say we make all of metro Chicago it's own state. But that's only if something has to be done, otherwise it's fine the way it is.

G

·
Hey steely dan, I should specify and say suburban Chicago. I like the city of Chicago and the rest of Illinois. Rural illinois and indiana are almost identical. Of course it's a generalization, but one i like to make. Suburban chicago people think they're such top shit. Just look on this website and find out for yourself. Stay in suburban chicago-illinois if it's so fucking great. I'll take being a humble Hoosier anyday.

·
Registered
872 Posts
NaptownBoy said:
Good idea. And while we're at it, Illinois can trade everything west of DeKalb county and Winnebago county and north of the new Indiana border to Wisconsin in exchange for Milwaukee and Madison. I like that configuration.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ I made this thread because, Indiana treats NW Indiana badly before, and probably many Chicagoans and Illinoisan want to "help it" but it is not within Illinois stateline... but I am glad now that the rest of Indiana know how much potiental NW Indiana could be...

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Gary should call its airport "Chicago-Gary Airport" if they want it to seriuosly be considereed Chicago's third airport. It seems like a small change from Gary-Chicago airport but I think its an important yet minor difference (if only psychology for travelers).

Yea, it would be for Gary residants furthing submitting themselves to the beast that is Chicago but I think it would be a small price. Maybe it wouldn't change anything at all to travelers perceptions but I suspect it might.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
ORDgasm said:
Good idea. And while we're at it, Illinois can trade everything west of DeKalb county and Winnebago county and north of the new Indiana border to Wisconsin in exchange for Milwaukee and Madison. I like that configuration.
making wisconsin's largest metro to be Appleton... and the state capital would then be decided at Wisconsin Dells...unless illinoiz would steal that too. haha, wisconsin's tallest building would be in Wausau..but eventually green bay at under 20 stories.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
colts0315 said:
NEVER. I live in Da Region and i will tell you this...I fucking hate suburban Chicago. I hate the people and everything about it. The city of Chicago itself is great, but never would I want to be even more included than we are with suburban Chicago. I've always followed Indiana news, Indiana sports teams, etc. NEVER. I fucking hate Chicago-area Illinois. We call people from there FIP's. Fucking-Illinois-People. There are tons of them moving to Indiana for lower taxes. They cruise in the left lane and in general are assholes!!!! Those are my opinions though :). I agree with Cory. There is tons of potential for this area. Plus, Indiana would lose access to Lake Michigan, which is a HUGE economic asset that still hasn't been maximized to full potential. Finally, Mitch Daniels is recognizing that a healthy Region is good for all of Indiana. LEAVE IT WITH INDIANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm, you are mistaken.... the original term is FIBBs, Fucking Illinois Bastards & Bitches....

The Region is losing its edge apparently Fucking Illinois "people" is much less harsh.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts