1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boom!
commie in lasnamäe!

ok, enough about that....

let's start off from the utterly modern city area.

maakri maja I and maakri maja II

another view of maakri maja, this is how a big quarter in the middle of our highrises looks like, hopefully they'll start to demolish this area really soon

and this is my favorite, a hut in the middle of modern highrises

maakri street, buildings from ~1910

not a well-known highrise. this is the one that ruins the views to the city from our old town

tornimäe u/c, postimehe maja in the back

this is from 1904, soon to be surrounded by skyscrapers

one of my favorite buildings in the city
tornimäe maja

what's here? nothing yet.
the site of the tallest building in estonia, tartu mnt 15. construction to be started this year

sampo bank and a stalinistic monster

let's move to the district of kadriorg

wooden classicism?

don't know, from 1930's maybe?

art nouveau

a library, notice the decoration on the top

another art nouveau building
by the way, in tallinn art nouveau is not the same as it is in paris or barcelona, it's much more modest, as you can see

and some more

a very-very nice building, in my opinion. probably from the 1930's

russian embassy

this type of architecture has really come into fashion in the last few years

3 small buildings that i know nothing of

back to downtown!

a 'soviet palace' near the harbor

an interesting church, built in 1920's

some more stalinistic architecture:

this is the palace of luck, one of the finest examples of art nouveau in tallinn

these next photos are from the district of kassisaba (cat's tail). according to the legend, more than a 100 years back when this area started to develop, toompea / dome hill was called the cat and this area its tail

some typical wooden architecture

wh :)

that's what commies were good at: building such things in the most unappropriate places

luise street, leading to kaarli / st. charles' church (built in 1882)

something new in the area

):

:)

hehehe, nice car, huh?

this type of building is characteristic only to tallinn. a famous historian has said that there are no such buildings elsewhere...
they came into fashion in the 1930's

british embassy

entrance of hotel l'ermitage

that's it,
hope you're not afraid to come to tallinn now =)

·
always on
4,811 Posts
great shots! ;) i like the photos from Kassisaba district, its a gem on that side of Tallinn ;)
the Luise street shot is also nice, the last thing what comes to my mind looking at it is Tallinn...;)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts

If I would look hard around Riga, could find some too. But I am not sure

Louise Street has very valuable urban landscape!

Loved this thread! It shows little seen details. And don't worry about grit, some more decades and some 10 billions and it would be gone ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
All those wooden houses reminds my Žverynas district in Vilnius. But well, wooden houses seem's to be in better shape in Tallinn. Actually i never knew that there is something like this in Tallinn. Thanks for showing it Jarmo!

BTW how about wooden houses in Tallinn? I mean here in Vilnius we have great example of "demolish them all and build taller, bigger&new", do wooden houses usually get renovated in Tallinn? I sometimes think that after some time people will be sorry for demolishing them (except wooden "houses" in Šnipiškės, i wish all this district be gone as soon as possible). ;)

Another thanks for this great thread! :)

·
Resurrected User
706 Posts
Ah, Real Tallin! :)

Love those wooden buildings, I hope them to be renovated, not demolished! But I know, it's just faster and cheaper to build something bigger and modern. This photo is my favourite.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gatis - if you find a similar building in riga then please, let me know! :) i'm really interested in this... i honestly don't want to believe that ONLY tallinn has such buildings

geex - in kassisaba, where these wooden buildings in my pics are from, are most probably soon to be renovated. i only photographed the most ugly ones :D overall the area looks much better, with really beautiful and shiny 90-100 year old wooden buildings. on the other hand, in downtown there are similar (smaller) areas. it is not useful to have 1-2 storey huts in the city center, therefore these will be demolished. for example, the whole city area was full of wooden buildings just 5-6 years ago, now there are only few left. i guess our 'decision-makers in toompea' realise that it's good to keep some of those wooden districts in the name of future, otherwise we'd regret it heavily...

a bad photo of some of the wooden buildings in the city, hotel olümpia in the back. from what i know these will be demolished, although they look very fine ):

these will be also demolished, to make room for a proposed 16-storey highrise. they're in downtown, near freedom square

everybody else - thanks!!! :)

just one more photo, our dear armenian church, smothered by density

·
User
719 Posts
Great pics! :eek:kay: Kassisaba and Kadriorg are very pleasant and characteristic city parts so there`s no need to demolish them. And in Tallinn there are even more such nice wooden districts. But I´m actually glad that 2 wooden houses will be demolished near Pärnu road(2nd pic), because they look ugly. :)

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea those on pärnu mnt will be demolished and the owner has planned a 16 storey building there. i myself doubt he'll succeed cause of the süda street area and its characteristic architecture...

and those next to olümpia - i can't say for sure but i've read somewhere that the city has planned to demolish them as well...

·
always on
4,811 Posts
jarmo, mby you mean the TWO 16 storey buildings planned by Irina Raud on the exit of the proposed Rävala road extension? (at the mouth of the tunnel)

·
Fremdkörper
1,227 Posts
Great pics! Very interesting the differentiation of architectural styles in one city. I believe they should be very careful with thosewooden districts, because maybe it might not be so unique in the Baltics, it is unique in Europe. Luise street is my favourite.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
3 small buildings that i know nothing of

These are the famous gatehouse buildings leading into Kardriorg Park. Two of them are portrayed in a lithograph from ca. 1833 that are on display at The Art Museum of Estonia. They were originally surrounded by small water-canals that were later filled in.

·
Citizen of heavenly city!
617 Posts
russian embassy

IMO it is nice hut but I don't like that plastic or glass roof at all. It doesnt fit in to that building and its style :weirdo: . Great shots, keep em coming.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jarmo - I get so happy every time there's a shoot of "normal" Tallinn! :) But still there's a lot more to explore.

I'd choose the stalinist building any day before that horrible, horrible plastic house.

·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ch1le - about the 2 16storey buildings... don't know. maybe...

eerik - thanks for the information!

dysfunctional - true, lots more to explore. but what places do you mean, what would you like to see?
and i like the stalinistic building as well but it's just in the wrong place (estonia :D)

toni - thank YOU! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts