SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every city has its' eccentrics..the strange people, that may or may not be homeless, seem to wonder, generally seem happy, talk to themselves, and are very familiar. They roam the same neighborhoods and sometimes you even talk to them. New Orleans has had many eccentrics over the years and they are still around. We have a new breed developing today (mainly in the French Quarter). Here is a site that is fun to read and check out... http://www.eccentricneworleans.com/gallery_of_eccentrics.htm . Simply press the picture and read about some of the eccentrics in New Orleans' past. Few of these are still around, but, let me assure you, as I stated, there is an entire new generation of eccentrics on the streets of New Orleans..they just haven't gotten to the point of these just yet. But, they will. Post some of the eccentrics from your city and any relevant info that will describe these interesting characters that roam the streets of our cities, day in an day out....BTW, on the link I provided, Becky Allen and Varla Merman are still around. Varla Merman was discovered and is now in New York. You can do a google on her. Ruthie the Duck lady, resides today, in a nursing home about one mile from my home. Several years back she just got too bad, dirty, and rude to the public and other eccentrics with money put her up in a nursing home. Many think it was one of the cruelest things in the world to take Ruthie's daily diet of a 12 pack of Miller Lite from her and to this day she still asks for a beer, every day.

·
18,174 Posts
i stay away form the eccentrics in wilmington. they come up to me and ask me for a ride across town, but if i offer to help them for a "bus ticket", they want only $10 or more. their breath always smells like whiskey, and they can usually be seen in the parks yelling at birds because they've been doing heroin all day. they will plead with you to no end to give them a couple dollars "in the name of jesus" so they can buy a bus ticket back home to northeast wilmington or philadelphia or somewhere, and then they'll approach you 2 hours later in the same parking lot and plead again for some money to buy a bus ticket, but the second time around they'll hide a hand behind their back because they don't want you to see the soda they bought with the money you gave them the first time.

:sleepy: :bash:

·
Neanderthal
956 Posts
There is one very well-known local eccentric who hangs out around two neighborhoods along I-90. He's known as Kenny and is often seen skipping and dancing down the street , waving his arms while listening to music. If you wave at him or shake his hands, he'll no doubt comply. I've never met him, but I've heard he is a friendly man.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wish we had a few of these in Dayton....people here are pretty bland and normal.

Well, OK, ..there is this one hippy dude who shows up at the festivals and dances a lot.

And "Drexel Dave" Sparks with his Bedpan Art ...I guess he is fairly eccentric for Dayton.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you read this, I just want to state that I know this eccentric. I used to go to "happy hours," almost every evening at eccentric bars on Bourbon St., in the 1990's, usually around 5:00. Here you would find (as we drank our cocktails), staring at this lady, in somewhat fear, her ducks would freely walk on the bar..all the way around, over our cocktails, as we visited with each other. We dare not say anything as this lady would "cuss" us out or throw beer bottles at us. These were the times of drinking at a bar, on Bourbon St., with Ruthie and her ducks around.

Conversation with a true eccentric, Ruthie The Duck Girl, of New Orleans:

Ruthie interviewed on B-97

January 24, 2000

HAPPY BIRTHDAY is played.

Booker: Some people call her Ruthie the Duck Lady. It’s officially Ruthie the Duck Girl.

Stacey: Well, it can go either way.

Booker: Ruthie!

Ruthie: Good morning, Sugarplum!

Stacey: Oh, happy birthday.

Ruthie: Yeah.

Booker: Yeah. Hey, Mr. Gary Moody was there yesterday, huh?

Ruthie: Oh, how you know he was there? My boyfriend, my husband.

Here is the amazing story of the wedding dress and Mr. Moody...talk about a true New Orleans eccentric...read this... http://www.eccentricneworleans.com/gary_moody.htm

Booker: Is he your boyfriend or your husband?

Ruthie: My husband.

Booker: Oh, he is your husband.

Booker: Did you guys get a little nookie going on after the party?

Ruthie: Yeah, I was dancing, huh?

Booker: Mr. Moody danced with ya, huh?

Booker: So, was it just another birthday party, or was this one a special one Miss Ruthie?

Ruthie: No, I might have another one.

Booker: Oh, you’re gonna have another one.

Ruthie: Yeah, on a Sunday.

Booker: Sunday?

Stacey: Oh, this is just the early one.

Booker: Wow. You deserve all kinds of birthday parties, huh?

Booker: Ruthie, what’s it like to be a local celebrity?

Ruthie: I sure do. What about you?

Booker: Like me?

Ruthie: (barely intelligible) Do you like boys?

Booker: No, you’re much more famous than I am, Miss Ruthie.

Booker: Yeah. So, do you get bothered by people always comin’ up tryin’ to talk to ya?

Ruthie: Uh huh?

Booker: Does it bother you when people always come up and try to talk to ya?

Booker: It does?

Booker: Yeah. You like your privacy?

Ruthie: What?

Booker: You like your privacy?

Ruthie: Yeah, you?

Booker: Yeah… yeah.

Stacey: So how do you like your new home, Miss Ruthie?

Ruthie: Oh, I’m doing fine!

Stacey: Yeah?

Ruthie: Same thing like you do.

Stacey: Do you miss the French Quarter?

Ruthie: No, no, no.

Booker: Not at all?

Ruthie: Bad to worse. One foot in the graveyard, one foot out.

Booker: Starting a new life, huh Ruthie?

Ruthie: Yeah, my new life.

Booker: Yeah, you rite.

Ruthie: Yeah, I’d like to go to Minnesota.

Booker: You’re going to Minnesota?

Booker: Are you gonna go be with your husband Gary Moody?

Booker: You are?!

Ruthie: I like it better over there.

Booker: Oh, Ruthie. It’s cold in Minnesota.

Ruthie: Don’t ask me. I don’t want to know.

Booker: I don’t think you’d like it in Minnesota. It’s too cold.

Ruthie: I got my cold pants on, I’m gonna go.

Brad: Are you gonna heat things up?

Brad: You and Mr. Gary Moody?

Ruthie: Yeah. My duck’s going too.

Brad: Did you drink a lot last night?

Ruthie: No, you?

Booker: (laughs) Did you drink any of that Budweiser?

Ruthie: I bet you got loaded last night.

Stacey:(laughs) He did Miss Ruthie. He was watching football.

Booker: Hey, Miss Ruthie?

Booker: You got any ducks there at the nursing home?

Booker: They let you have some ducks?

Ruthie: Huh?

Booker: You got any ducks?

Ruthie: Yeah, I got a duck.

Booker: At the nursing home?

Ruthie: It make do-do (nap) like you in bed with a girlfriend.

Booker: Ohhh.

Stacey: Mmmm.

Booker: Do you ever go visit some of your old ducks in City Park?

Ruthie: No.

Booker: You never do?

Ruthie: No, I don’t take ‘em to the City Park, you.

Booker: I bet they miss you.

Ruthie: No they don’t.

Booker: Hey, Ruthie. We just wanted to say how much you have entertained us over the years and how beloved you are, and how near and dear you are to some many people’s hearts in this city. And you’re just truly the epitome of New Orleans.

Ruthie: Don’t ask me. You ask too many questions, you.

Stacey: (laughs)

Booker: I have no idea what you just said, but I’ll go along with you. Ruthie, we love you, and very very happy birthday.

Stacey: Happy birthday Miss Ruthie.

Booker: (parroting Ruthie) Yeah, how you know?

Ruthie: I think I got a real mind like you.

http://www.eccentricneworleans.com/b-97_interview.htm

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
There is this man in Macon who will start to cross the street and stop half way. Some people have called in the police to shoo him away but they seem to do nothing about it and he never learns his lesson.

·
Registered
778 Posts
In Troy there's this guy evryone calls the "Canman" he goes around picking up cans and throwing trash away, he helps keep our city clean so people often try to give him some money but he never takes any not even pennys, if he finds money he wont take it either. Their are many tails about him im not sure which ones are true or if any of them are. The most commen one is he lives in this good sized house and lost his mind after his son died a few years ago. I see him almost everyday rain or shine, theres been times he's almost got run over by a car because he chases a can into the middle of the street.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Cool thread. There is a person in Stratford-Upon-Avon in England (Shakespear's home town) that will go around tripping people supposedly on accident. He also asks people to go with him to the Shakespear Hotel for no apparent reason. Yes he is homeless and has a dog.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EtherealMist said:
I've seen him The Naked Cowboy playing in New Orleans on Bourbon St. many times. He gets around, doesn't he?! That's wild.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts