Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
S.P.Q.R.
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noto, the Stone Garden

Noto is a city in Sicily, Italy, in the Province of Syracuse, 32 km southwest of the city of Syracuse, at the feet of the Iblei Mountains. The city gives its name to the surrounding valley, Val di Noto. In 2002 Noto and its church were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The current town, rebuilt after the earthquake on the left bank of River Asinaro, was planned on a grid system by Giovanni Battista Landolina. This new city occupied a position nearer to the Ionian Sea. The presence of architects like Rosario Gagliardi, Francesco Sortino and others, made the new Noto a masterpiece of Sicilian Baroque, dubbed the "Stone Garden" by Cesare Brandi and is currently listed among UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. The new structures are characterized by a soft tufa stone, which under sunlight assumes a typical honey tonality.

·
S.P.Q.R.
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warning!!!

Today this wonderful city is threaten by oil speculation!

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/conservation/story/0,,2098404,00.html#article_continue

In a corner of old Sicily, a battle to keep out Texas oil men

Sicily's remote south-eastern corner, where small baroque towns nestle among sun-baked vineyards, hardly seems the place to find Texas oil men on the prowl, looking to strike it rich. But if early soundings by a US company, Panther Resources, pan out, the area could be sitting on natural gas reserves of 50bn cubic metres, enough to keep the Mediterranean island self sufficient for years.
The findings have not impressed a growing army of politicians, bishops, writers and residents who are fighting a fierce campaign to safeguard an area that includes eight Unesco-protected towns.

""What would the residents of Rome say if we started digging for oil between the Forum and the Colosseum?" said the Sicilian writer Andrea Camilleri on the front page of yesterday's La Repubblica.
"It seems you can still do what you want in Sicily," added Fabio Granata, who fought against the exploration licence given to Panther in 2004 while he served as Sicily's foremost cultural official.

In March, the bishop of the town of Noto, Giuseppe Malandrino, joined 2,000 anti-drilling demonstrators who accused Sicily's regional government of ignoring a Unesco edict insisting that zones around its sites should be free from development.

According to the surveyors, the opposition is unwarranted. "The closest we come to a UNESCO site is 10 kilometres and the gas is 1,500 metres down," said Giuseppe Salme, a spokesman for Panther Eureka, an Italian firm controlled by Panther Resources. "Gas extraction has been going on for years in central Sicily and the facilities we would build in the event of extraction would be no bigger than garages. This would not create any problems for the historic sites." He added that Panther was applying to extend its surveying activity before possibly seeking permission to extract gas.

Opponents also fear that any drilling will hurt the nascent tourism industry.

"This area has benefited from up to €400m [£270m] in EU cultural funding, so why should we be giving out permits for drilling?" said Mr Granata.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I have been to Noto many times when i was young :) I grew up in a nearby town called Melilli, when i will go on holiday in Sicily at the end of the year i will take some photos :)

·
Banned
50 Posts
They want to build more of this rubbish.... :eek:hno: Sicily is already full of things like this (the one in the photo is in siracusa)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
.....lot of excitement to go in Sicily one day.....as a Greek a really interesting place for me.....

btw i will sign that thing..and what is eta..is it age?

·
melior de cinere surgo
6,790 Posts
Thanks a lot, Pincio, for this excellent photo album. Noto is really a wonderful place to discover, like many others, hidden or forgotten treasures all over Sicily! :eek:kay:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts