Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Space - 332 residential units

Use - Residential

Architects - Rolfe Judd

Developer - Mapeley Estates

PLANNING APP SUBMITTED

A planning application has been submitted for the conversion of the Inland Revenue offices into 332 apartments consisting of 1 and 2 bedrooms.

The Site

Site Plans

Ground floor plan of Block C:

Interactive Development Map

You can view as to where this development is on my Nottingham Interactive Development Map:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm intrigued what the plan for the remaining block and the amenity building is.
The remaining block is currently occupied by another company which is why it hasn't been included in these plans.

I believe HMRC are still based here until their new unannounced premises has been built? It does seem a bit early for this to be proposed if that is the case.

The below figures are some new build HMRC offices which have been announced / started construction

- Leeds - 370,000sqft - 6,000 staff

- Birmingham - 240,000sqft - 3,600 staff

- Belfast - 105,000sqft - 1,600 staff

Nottinghams office is said to house between 2,300 - 2,600 staff which I estimate on the above stats to be between 145-165,000sqft give or take.

·
Unregistered User
738 Posts
I've always liked these buildings but felt they were too detached from the city despite their prime location. Hopefully this will help integrate them better. Some ground-floor retail and better interactions with the canal would be welcomed.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Looked at one of my posts on the building from a while ago and the complex is 430k sqft. Thought sub-200k seemed too low.

Surely then, the new building will have to be massive? Unless they're looking to cram more people into less space which is possible. The Inland Revenue campus looks huge, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was poor utilisation of space in there.

Looks like they had an open cheque book when it was designed and built.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Browne Jacobson are in amongst it somewhere.
They're based in the office block to the north east of this site, which is not included in the resi conversion masterplan. So perhaps from what Binge says, this will be a phased plan over numerous years until HMRC have fully moved out of this complex?

·
Registered
435 Posts
They're based in the office block to the north east of this site, which is not included in the resi conversion masterplan. So perhaps from what Binge says, this will be a phased plan over numerous years until HMRC have fully moved out of this complex?
No news on the new IR offices? I seem to remember at the time of the announcement that one of the options was to refurbish their current one, so I guess with this news that isn't happening now? Could Unity Square be in the running?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I hear, on the grapevine, that Sladen want to do a student village now at the site of Unity Square and that NCC are strongly opposed to it, clinging to the notion that Southside will be more than a collection of student and residential schemes. Actually though considering its proximity to the station and the direct tram to the campus its a pretty good site for a student village. A more likely option might be Guildhall place but that seems to be stalled, shouldn't they have announced a hotel operator back in 2017 ?

The Inland Revenue site would make a great residential street, wasn't it once used as a futuristic site for a BBC Dennis Potter series ? The concern of course is the loss of office accommodation, this is almost 10% of the entire stock in the city centre and with nothing coming out of the ground to replace this then what does the future hold?

I was at a dinner back in January in Birmingham and managed to have a chat with a few people discussing my views about the Midlands becoming west centric and how this was having a negative impact on the economy of Nottingham. Very interesting views around how Nottingham was the Queen of the Midlands, a powerhouse for inward investment, a top shopping destination and the satellite regional capital for finance and banking in Q4 of the 20th century but how this has now gone and how Nottingham was struggling to reinvent itself in a far more competitive market were the likes of Birmingham and elsewhere have their mojo back. Over the past few years NCC have tried to do the whole Nottingham/Leicester/Derby thing then changed to Nottingham/Derby 'power of one' boll#cks and how this has really caused Nottingham to lose its way in Q1 of C21. All completely recoverable of course but these current NCC clowns need to retire ! In fairness probably not appropriate for this thread but I've started now.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
^^^That would be really disappointing news if Unity Square is to be a student development. Sure its close proximity to the station and transport network would be great for students, but it's also a great location with such networks for a large office scheme and hotel scheme.

What happened to the idea of Nottingham City Council expanding their offices into Unity Square? I understand that was previously with PEEL, however surely the idea is still there?

This end of town needs a prominent anchor development, so losing the office Unity Square scheme would be a massive loss, not just to the area, but the city and its status. I guess we'll have to see what is showcased at MIPIM in less than 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I hear, on the grapevine, that Sladen want to do a student village now at the site of Unity Square and that NCC are strongly opposed to it, clinging to the notion that Southside will be more than a collection of student and residential schemes. Actually though considering its proximity to the station and the direct tram to the campus its a pretty good site for a student village. A more likely option might be Guildhall place but that seems to be stalled, shouldn't they have announced a hotel operator back in 2017 ?

The Inland Revenue site would make a great residential street, wasn't it once used as a futuristic site for a BBC Dennis Potter series ? The concern of course is the loss of office accommodation, this is almost 10% of the entire stock in the city centre and with nothing coming out of the ground to replace this then what does the future hold?

I was at a dinner back in January in Birmingham and managed to have a chat with a few people discussing my views about the Midlands becoming west centric and how this was having a negative impact on the economy of Nottingham. Very interesting views around how Nottingham was the Queen of the Midlands, a powerhouse for inward investment, a top shopping destination and the satellite regional capital for finance and banking in Q4 of the 20th century but how this has now gone and how Nottingham was struggling to reinvent itself in a far more competitive market were the likes of Birmingham and elsewhere have their mojo back. Over the past few years NCC have tried to do the whole Nottingham/Leicester/Derby thing then changed to Nottingham/Derby 'power of one' boll#cks and how this has really caused Nottingham to lose its way in Q1 of C21. All completely recoverable of course but these current NCC clowns need to retire ! In fairness probably not appropriate for this thread but I've started now.... :eek:hno:

Not only are they not retiring, they're not getting voted out of office anytime soon.

And until we have a political entity that's big enough and powerful enough to compete with other top cities, it isn't recoverable I'm afraid.

·
quacked
2,290 Posts
It would be really good to see this area opened up rather than become a gated residential area.
Agree. This campus has always been problematic imo. There should be bridges accross the canal and railway, and pedestrians should also be able to walk east/west. It should definitely NOT remain enclosed. The car-oriented design of the access routes is something the city should be looking to erase.

There should also be a park directly to the west but that's probably not gonna happen in my lifetime. Stephens and the retail park are horribly situated for the city. All that land should be a big-ass park next to the canal.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts