Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Floors - 6

Space - 92 residential units

Use - Student / Residential + Retail / Commercial

Architects - Rayner Davies Architects

Developer - Megaclose

PLANNING APPLICATION SUBMITTED

http://news.rd-architects.co.uk/

As reported on the architects website, a planning application has been submitted for the redevelopment and refurbishment of the corner site of Lower Parliament and Glasshouse Street. The Portland Stone building is to be converted into ground floor commercial use whilst 92 apartments will be constructed in the floors above and the new build.

More details to follow once the planning app has been validated.

The Site

Renders

Interactive Development Map

You can view as to where this development is on my Nottingham Interactive Development Map:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I don't really mind this, looks good enough quality but agree it restricts future development. Interestingly there are currently three red brick buildings on the side street (the first is ok the middle one looks pretty nice) both to be demolished, whereas the last one which is a minger is staying!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The middle building to go (according to Google) is the former home of a T.N. Parr, a merchant with links to the better known Pork Farms butchers - so they're not without heritage. And there are at least one, probably two, very decent frontages here which will be lost largely because the Victoria Centre behind is so ugly and ill thought that trade on Glasshouse Street is non existent.

I can't say I'm happy with this outcome, of a totally mediocre student build that doesn't even have any groundfloor retail, taking the place of a row of what should be viable retail buildings.

A real outcome would have been a total redesign (and possibly pedestrianisation) of Glasshouse street that saw the Victoria Centre actually open up shop frontages of the retailers that lay behind - totally animating this god awful street - and then bringing this little row of shops back into their intended usage.

Oh well.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really mind this, looks good enough quality but agree it restricts future development. Interestingly there are currently three red brick buildings on the side street (the first is ok the middle one looks pretty nice) both to be demolished, whereas the last one which is a minger is staying!
I don't actually know if that building is included as part of this development, for all we know at current that may be for a separate development. I've just included the whole block on my map until further confirmation.

I do agree though, that is the worst building out of the three you mentioned, the worst offender however is the Next building. It's restricting any flowing streetscape along that stretch on the Victoria Centre side creating a large gap.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Seriously, the last thing we need is an expanded Vicky Centre.
Street facing retail doesnt work in this location either as it is too far away from the city centre proper - there is nothing to draw people this way as a destination which could entice them to visit shops here.

Intu are the landowner anyway and had been seeking to develop this site for student lets for a number of years. so it obviously doesnt fit with any plans they may have for the centre.

However the loss of the Parr building will be a devastating one. Such a fine early 20th century building should have been listed. Gorgeous fenestration and brickwork far superior to any other buildings in the vicinity.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Seriously, the last thing we need is an expanded Vicky Centre.
Street facing retail doesnt work in this location either as it is too far away from the city centre proper - there is nothing to draw people this way as a destination which could entice them to visit shops here.

Intu are the landowner anyway and had been seeking to develop this site for student lets for a number of years. so it obviously doesnt fit with any plans they may have for the centre.

However the loss of the Parr building will be a devastating one. Such a fine early 20th century building should have been listed. Gorgeous fenestration and brickwork far superior to any other buildings in the vicinity.
With respect Goose, I'm not having your argument about retail not being viable here - this IS the city centre! You've got Argos next door - and you're literally connected to the Victoria Centre, so how can it possibly be that this is so far out of the city that no retail could survive?:hmm:

If that were the case, how on earth are there so many thriving, small businesses on Derby Road? I don't accept that retail ends the second you move away from the busiest streets, and thankfully the council made some nice improvements to Derby Road to help them along. And with Confetti opening near by, and indeed this residential development itself, surely the goal should be to encourage retail and life back to the area, rather than give up.

And as I mentioned before, a Centre like VC ought to have high footfall flowing through each of their entrances - it's only that fact it's so grim on Glasshouse street that we haven't got a parade of retailers here feeding off that footfall. But surely to give up and say, oh well, nobody will come here anyway means were actually cementing the failings of the VC rather than striving to overcome them.

Or the abridged version of my answer: There's a kebab shop right across the road that does well. I'm sure someone could trade here.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
But is the late night trade a positive contribution to the townscape? The reason this space has fallen into dereliction is because the shops here have failed. Derby road works as it is the route into the city for lots of foot traffic.

I'm all for the retention of these buildings, the Parr frontage is one of my favourite buildings in Notingham, but I have serious doubts that retail could be encouraged to this pedestrian backwater. These would be better re-purposed as offices. Surely you can see how dead glasshouse street is? There is no draw here, the public need a destination to draw them to an area and this just doesn't have it. Clumber street is so busy because the Vicky centre pulls pedestrian traffic. Aldi and the trampoline centre, Hopewells and Aurora just do not have the same magnetism. Even John E Wrights isn't what it used to be. Mansfield road works because of the pedestrian flow in the same way that Derby Road thrives.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Well, perhaps I'm not being clear when I say retail. What I really should say is 'commercial' groundfloor use. I believe a new building like this should, at the very least, have an active fronted commercial space on the bit that faces Glasshouse street.

That doesn't necessarily have to be retail. It could be an estate agent. It could be a solicitors. It could be anything you like. And then in years to come, as I say, the goal should be to lift the area to make up for it's shortfalls, not accept defeat.

But once they've built this as currently proposed, you've got an inactive groundfloor, with all the negatives we know they bring, cemented for the next 100 years. I can almost see the cans of special brew lined up on those window ledges - god knows who would be willing to take a flat there.

·
quacked
2,290 Posts
A lot of people walk through there nowadays actually. It's part of my commute home. It's horrible! The back end of Vic Centre is like a bag full of smashed crabs. But there's a steady stream of pedestrians heading past the glasshouse/Aldi to and from St Anns, the underpass under Shelton St is more used than before. Plus the back entrance to Vic Centre. However I believe a lot more residents in the area will be needed for an increase in shops to be viable.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.