SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Old Market Square - March 2007

Summary: Re-development of city's central public space. Levelling and expansion of the square to provide for major events, installation of new water feature, lighting, planting and seating. Listed features retained.

Architects: Gustafson Porter - London

·
...notts bantam
191 Posts
^^ Very impressed with how this has turned out. I wasn't a fan of this design when I originally saw the plans and I couldn't understand why the council picked it, but I'm sorry I doubted them now. Subtle and classy, with very high quality materials. Not only that but it is a much more usable space and more open. It looks twice the size of the old square - it's huge!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the old square? I know it wasn't long ago but I never really used to go into the city much; all I can remember is it being a large concrete mess with some fountains and flower beds.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Looks fantastic! I love the traditional european large open squares with minimal clutter, really impressive, especially when surrounded by quality architecture and a main feature building as seen there.

Good work Nottingham.

·
Registered
695 Posts
^^ Waterfront Plaza isnt officially completed.....it was going to be my next post once they'd taken down all the scaffolding!:)

·
Robin Hood
5,169 Posts
Dont you think they did a great job with CTC Djianogly school (across from the forest)? It looks more like an international business hq than a school

This is the conversation of Hyson Green flats into "Luxury Apartments"....

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
i see that fucker every day - the difference it has made to the appearance of the area is huge

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I see it every day, when i'm going to and from the forest recreation ground, to ASDA, and even to the hysongreen library. It looks impressive. This is what **** it used to be:

I'd be extremely happy if Victoria Centre flats were given this treatment.

·
Robin Hood
5,169 Posts
Yeah I see it every day too... I live in Basford but my businesses warehouse is in Radford. The old one used to look terrible... I wish they'd do something similar with victoria flats because I can in a million years see them knocking that down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[/QUOTE]

That picture is classic, beautiful Victorian (or sometime around then) houses, and then in the background a fugly 60's mess dominating the airspace.

·
Robin Hood
5,169 Posts
The apartments we're in the post today, and they're terrible. It dosnt look as if they've knocked any walls in inside, they've just made the original rooms look a little bit nicer. They are demanding £450 a month in rent for a 1 bed apartment, they are no way near as nice as those ones in the Hinkley Building in town (for the same price)

·
New Nottingham!
11,919 Posts
Im glad they kept Braidwood Court. I liked the grittiness of it before and how bad it looked. It kind of gave it more character in a weird way.
The refurb is pretty impressive as far as tower blocks go.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts